U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,974 times

Advertisements

I am from the northwest, I am middle class and I studied at a public school. I am caucasian white, green eyes, blonde. There are many people here that look like me, so the whiter people/white collar job is just a lie. You can find darker skinned people at the "metro areas" like SJ, where there is a huge immigrant community. There are far more jobs, more drug problems, etc than where I am from. And yes, PR is colorblind but sadly immigrants like to play the racism/pity card. There are a lot of caucasian white portorricans living in projects too. So the color of your skin does not have anything to do with the social status people have in PR, very much different from most countries in Latin America.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,864 times
Default Puerto Rico

Hey let me introduce myself, my name is rico and im 21 years old. I was born and raised in puerto rico, and i was i puerto from december 15 to january 17 and crime is higher than ever, the statistic you have arent very accurate so many people get killed and ARE NEVER FOUND OR REPORTE IN THE STATISTICS IS CRAZY. But it would be a honor to show tell you stories and help you with your statistics. iand wenever you go to puerto rico let me know i currenly live in chigago. But i own a house in puerto rico and go every summer and christmas. My cell is 815-670-6670 givr me call if you need info....

Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,838 times
Was hoping to visit PR on vacation for 7 days in April...kind of concerned now. 110 Murders in January 2011...clearly there is a problem somewhere, no?

[url=http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/02/02/murder-spike-puerto-rico-hurt-tourism/?test=latestnews]Murder Spike in Puerto Rico Could Hurt Tourism - Fox News Latino[/url]

Old 02-02-2011, 05:36 PM

16 posts, read 29,829 times
Puerto Rico is a beautiful place to visit...to visit...to visit. I left the island in 2006 and I do not regret it one bit. For hangin-out/night-life PR runs laps around VA/DC I do miss that BUT now I have a family so I moved to more boring but safer NoVA.

I am planing on going back to PR for 7 days.

Sadly the culture has been on a steady decline in the last 15/20 years and its evident in the statistics. I do blame "El Reggeton" (i don't care to write it correctly) for this decay and the fact that parents were too busy working like dogs to make ends-meet to notice what was happening and correct it. I remember when people opened doors for other and would run to help if someone needed help...now its kinda like the wild-west.

What made me leave (the last little bit that broke my desire to stay) was the way people drive (i lived in Ponce from 03 to 06) people use the shoulder like a regular lane then cut you off and you better not dare to look oddly at them, its not like they are doing anything wrong! It might think it petty... but its not, that demonstrate the attitude towards others and lack of respect for laws.
I followed my wife advice and put my resume on-line and 3 weeks later I was moving to NoVA for my new job

Anyways, yes drugs are about 70-80% of the problem of the island but there are other things that need fixing too and sadly the politicians do not care about it...all they care for is their little agendas to get richer and get stuff for their political party.

And its true Puertoricans are colorblind when it comes to races, thats something to be proud of!

//rant over//
Puerto Rico lo hace mejor!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 AM

99 posts, read 73,890 times
I visited PR last year, stayed in Rincon, and found the entire Island to be an overpopulated, traffic-laden, garbage pit. I visited the fort and was shocked at the slums that reside directly next-door -that slum area was as bad as one finds in Brazil. What is keeping that place from descending into chaos? - oh, my taxable income of course. Another paradise ruined by the slave trade. Ever wonder why Hawaii is nice and PR is a dump? Its the natives - or lack thereof I should say.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM

241 posts, read 980,810 times
That slum has always been there and is a symbol of what happens when uncontrolled development happens. Your xenophobia irritates me. Anything that isn't clean and perfect is an abomination to you.

Not all cultures in the world are like wherever you are from.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,342,328 times
Puerto Rico does not have the type of opportunities that exist in Hawaii. You can't compare places which are so different. Things aren't perfect but I'd say given the low salaries, crime problems and lackluster schools Puerto Rico is amazingly put together. Where I live, San German, is a fabulous place to raise a family as well as go to college. A lot of people don't even lock their doors. The "natives" as you call them have been amazingly friendly to me, even the trashy people know how to be polite and don't cause any trouble. I guess you were expecting the Hamptons but all you got was Rincon...too bad. You should visit places in the region such as the Dominican Republic and Venezuela, or other countries with similar per capita incomes like Slovenia or Taiwan, then tell me if you think PR is still a dump. To compare it to the state with the highest salaries/cost of living is preposterous.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM

22 posts, read 67,538 times
"Ever wonder why Hawaii is nice and PR is a dump? Its the natives - or lack thereof I should say."

?

I'm part cherokee. Would my native ancestors have produced a culture sufficiently to your liking?

Methinks that Brahms' attitude toward Puerto Rico is shaped more by thinly veiled racist attitudes than actual first-hand experience.

"Ruined by the slave trade..."?

Really. Anxiety because someone's skin is a little darker, perhaps?

What rubbish, such comments should not be permitted in this forum.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 AM

3,206 posts, read 3,605,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahms View Post
I visited PR last year, stayed in Rincon, and found the entire Island to be an overpopulated, traffic-laden, garbage pit. I visited the fort and was shocked at the slums that reside directly next-door -that slum area was as bad as one finds in Brazil. What is keeping that place from descending into chaos? - oh, my taxable income of course. Another paradise ruined by the slave trade. Ever wonder why Hawaii is nice and PR is a dump? Its the natives - or lack thereof I should say.
Negative viewpoints are best delivered with constructive kindness. Nonetheless, let's not be too quick to beat the cheese out of Brahms. His comments do have some validity.

With almost 1100 persons per square mile, Puerto Rico is indeed one of the most densely populated places on Earth.

Given Puerto Rico's limited public transportation system, most people depend on personal vehicles to get around. The result? Regular traffic congestion.

Trash litters most of the roads and streets of our otherwise beautiful Puerto Rico.

(Puerto Rico's current landfilling capacity is severely limited. Less than 18% of materials are recycled. Worse yet is Puerto Rico's adamant opposition to Waste-to-Energy technology; a proven and successful method of waste management in most industrialized island nations. Puerto Rico's trash problem is critical and is only going to get worse if something isn't done right now.)

So, how do we remediate these issues? What can the average person do to correct over population, traffic congestion and garbage?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM

355 posts, read 637,925 times
The amount of roadside trash in Puerto Rico is a blight, it's everywhere and it's awful. The word "littering" doesn't quite describe it. It's roadside dumping. Even the most beautiful place will often have trash, so disappointing. There's no answer for the islands large population, waste to energy is the answer to the land-fill problem but the roadside trash can stop. It's a learned practice-behavior. Why it began I can't say but I would think an island wide public / environmental campaign, billboards, television, schools etc.. would change the practice throwing trash from your cars and public dumping from tolerated to unacceptable. It would take a few years but it's definitely doable. The same thing was needed on the mainland in the '60's and it worked.

As far as the opposition to waste to energy Chacho can probably answer why there has been resistance to it. Political, financial ...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories