U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,751,803 times

Advertisements

The New York Times had an article today about Puerto Rico's explosive murder rate:

Murder Rate And Fear Rise In Puerto Rico

Quote:
So far this year, there have been 525 murders in Puerto Rico, a number that is outpacing last year’s 983 homicides, the second-highest ever, and the 995 in 1994.
Very bad news...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM
mym

632 posts, read 911,312 times
back in the day it worked like this: one weekend the headlines would be "Large drugs bust in X place" the next weekend it would be "Masacran a cuatro en cancha de baloncesto" or somehting

some talked or someone couldnt pay his bill cuz the drugs didnt make it to where they were supposed to go and a whole lot of them would die during the clean up.

otherwise its new blood moving in on old blood with deaths resulting from territory changes.

that leads to the high number of deaths and groups of people being killed.

maybe its supply/demand. does anyone know if supply is increasing? any word on potency of coke? is it pure or cut?

the other fallout is when a dealer cant afford to repay what he bought on consignment and has to rob a wendy's with his gang to cover a slow week on the corner.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 10,849 times
there are some who are lieing to them selves when they do not see ties between race and status. blacks were taken to the island as slaves so it makes sense that blacks would be the poorer, less fortunate race....its just the hand that they were dealt. pr is getting worse, really ugly,
the US needs to step in and really help the people of pr, pr needs more/better schools, a rehaul of the justice system/government. the focus has to be the kids and when i say kids i mean 8 -10 and younger as they are the future of the island and our only hope.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-03-2011 at 06:17 AM..

Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 AM

294 posts, read 648,012 times
How shocking....!!!!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 PM

3,207 posts, read 3,606,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquien View Post
there are some who are lieing to them selves when they do not see ties between race and status. blacks were taken to the island as slaves so it makes sense that blacks would be the poorer, less fortunate race....its just the hand that they were dealt. pr is getting worse, really ugly,
the US needs to step in and really help the people of pr, pr needs more/better schools, a rehaul of the justice system/government. the focus has to be the kids and when i say kids i mean 8 -10 and younger as they are the future of the island and our only hope.
I completely disagree with the underlined statement above. The USA has done enough for Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans. Sadly, most of us have squandered and pissed away the opportunities that come with being a United States Citizen. Instead of capitalizing on the advantage of citizenship, way too many of us have short sightedly sought to live off of government assistance programs so that we no longer have to work again, like the rest of humanity. That's part of the reason why 60% of the island's residents are unemployed.

Puerto Ricans on the island and the mainland need to take it upon ourselves to be leaders and the best of the best within the Hispanic community and society in general. This will only happen when each and every one of us take it upon ourselves to be assets and not burdens of society; when we make it our goal to raise children properly in a healthy family atmosphere; when we realize that partying should never come before the responsibility of work; when we make it our collective goal to be skilled, highly qualified and competative in our professions and vocations of choice; when we comprehend that monetary wealth is a necessary tool which leads to a higher quality life, etc.

Again, the government doesn't need to do anything else for us. WE each need to do something for OURSELVES!

BTW, I'm as Boricua as "arroz con gandules."

Last edited by chacho_keva; 09-03-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 04:39 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,968,509 times
chacho_keva....I congratulate you for having the cojones to stand up and tell it like it is.....

Regards and Good Luck...
Gemstone1

Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 AM

3,207 posts, read 3,606,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
chacho_keva....I congratulate you for having the cojones to stand up and tell it like it is.....

Regards and Good Luck...
Gemstone1
Thank you. I feel like that guy who just gave a radical speach, but only hears crickets chirping.

I'm not surprised. I get a similar response when I mention this to friends or family back on the island, that is, a blank and puzzled stare. It's as if I'd just spoken in another language. It's either the blank stare or unashamed denial of the obvious and basic problem, i.e., us - nosotros.

I sincerely believe that we and only we (not the government) can change the mired situation our island and communities on the mainland find themselves in. However, change has to occur within each individual and within our own families first, before we try to export it to those around us.

The thing is that effecting positive change - without gov't assistance - is actually rather simple. It's as simple as changing our thinking, being responsible, and doing what we are suppose to do for our self and those we love.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,968,509 times
This is not exactly fitting to the thread, maybe it belongs in the"culture" thread, but does dovetail onto the previous post......

During our 3 month stay in Carolina, we commuted daily to the VA Hospital, we traveled the island pretty extensively, I walked the beach daily....and my observation is/was, that the culture that permeates Puerto Rican society is one of a ME-ME-ME attitude, particularly the San Juan inhabitants. Now it's not everyone, but it's enough of the population that it really left us with a negative experience, and not one I'd care to repeat. From the aggressive "I don't care about you" attitude of seasoned Puerto Rican drivers (who are always on the phone) who will cross 3 lanes of traffic, just so they can make their last minute decision to exit (when they knew 2 miles back that their exit was coming up), or the people who will nose their 18' car into the 20' space you are trying to maintain in front of you, to the people who leave their late night trash on the beach when a trash barrel is within walking distance....or the guy who didn't want to figure out how to properly dispose of his mattress, so he just dumped it off the wooden walkway on the beach at Pinones, or the people who intentionally break their beer bottles on the rocks at the beach....or those same broken bottles on Isla Verde Ave (where the tourists with the $$$ have to walk around the glass)...the attitude I saw is not one that has any consideration for the next guy...it's just like it's not part of the Puerto Rican DNA. Was it not taught in the home, to be considerate of others ? Was it not taught in the home to be respectful of others ? Was it not taught in the home to respect the environment ? To those Puerto Ricans who don't fit the above description...what do you do when you see someone trash your island...do you chastise the slob ? Do you shake your head and walk away ? Do you stoop down to pick up and dispose of the other guy's trash ? To those who do act responsibly, what have you done to show others that there is a better way to live ? Are you an activist involved in the betterment of Puerto Rico ? Someone has to take charge.

Burn me if you will, but this is what I came away with.....it overshadowed the beauty of the mountains, the secluded beaches where you can see no other footprints but your own, the beautiful Flamboyant trees....such a paradise..it's truly a national treasure....where else in the US can you experience a Bio-bay, a tropical Rain Forest, the coqui's chirp, and topped of by Puerto Rican cuisine... in one day! And it's being trashed by a portion of the population that doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone but him/herself....what a waste.

Please show me that my perception is wrong, please make me want to return to Puerto Rico to see something I missed....

Regards
Gemstone1

Trivia:
"who are always on the phone"...did you know that the average cell phone usage in Puerto Rico is almost 1900 minutes, whereas in the remainder of the US, it is 800 minutes ? (Puerto Rico Forum - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,007 times
That was really interesting.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 PM

450 posts, read 803,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
Pills, condoms? How about practicing MORALS?

That does not work, not even in the USA!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories