Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
That does not work, not even in the USA!!!
Hey, I'm no hardcore church type. However, I will admit that attempting to live a moral life (emphasis on attempting) does have its merritts. It disciplines and acustoms the mind to consider the consequences of one's actions, on self and others. Morality - at the very least - gives one reason to pause and take into account what one is about to say or do before executing the action.

I'm not saying we will always succeed at "attempting" to be moral. But, it's a worthy persuit in the development of self-discipline. And as we all know, a certain measure of discipline is required to be successful in life.

To say that morality "does not work" is a gross overstatement.

Question:
If "morality does not work," are you advocating that it's a good thing to raise children moral-free? If something does not work, why practice it, right?

Last edited by chacho_keva; 09-05-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I completely disagree with the underlined statement above. The USA has done enough for Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans. Sadly, most of us have squandered and pissed away the opportunities that come with being a United States Citizen. Instead of capitalizing on the advantage of citizenship, way too many of us have short sightedly sought to live off of government assistance programs so that we no longer have to work again, like the rest of humanity. That's part of the reason why 60% of the island's residents are unemployed.

Puerto Ricans on the island and the mainland need to take it upon ourselves to be leaders and the best of the best within the Hispanic community and society in general. This will only happen when each and every one of us take it upon ourselves to be assets and not burdens of society; when we make it our goal to raise children properly in a healthy family atmosphere; when we realize that partying should never come before the responsibility of work; when we make it our collective goal to be skilled, highly qualified and competative in our professions and vocations of choice; when we comprehend that monetary wealth is a necessary tool which leads to a higher quality life, etc.

Again, the government doesn't need to do anything else for us. WE each need to do something for OURSELVES!

BTW, I'm as Boricua as "arroz con gandules."
the US government does need to do something, you are being naive if you think not. the people of PR are hostages in their own homes, how can they stand up when they are not even backed by the pr government? puerto ricans do comprehend that monetary wealth is a necessary tool.....thats why so many in PR turn to the underworld.

what you wrote is what things should be like but obviously they are not, the reality is that PR still needs help. it has been a record year murder wise in PR but the gvmt doesnt have to do anything?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"the US government does need to do something"....

aquien: How about some suggestions....open a new thread. What more would you have the US Government do for the people of Puerto Rico ? What would you do if you were in charge ? In your opinion, what would really make a difference ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 PM

81 posts, read 301,422 times
the only thing that would help here in PR is to have the entire goverment taken out of office and have all new people that are not corrupt run the island.

I dont understand how after a cat 1 hurricane , they can shut down the entire islands schools. my kids have missed so many days this year for no reason. The schools where closed for 4 days after Irene and imabout 80 miles west of where the hurricane hit.

The other thing is they need to focus on infastructure and working in general here. All they want to do is drink and be lazy. They have way to many holidays that close business for 1-2 days and they wonder why the economy sucks here.

The only way to make money here is to own a bar...i have lived all over the US and have never seen so many people drink all day. I guess thats what you get when you have beer sells @.50-$1.

The island goverment is almost like a union...they charge alot and in return you get nothing.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquien View Post
the US government does need to do something, you are being naive if you think not. the people of PR are hostages in their own homes, how can they stand up when they are not even backed by the pr government? puerto ricans do comprehend that monetary wealth is a necessary tool.....thats why so many in PR turn to the underworld.

what you wrote is what things should be like but obviously they are not, the reality is that PR still needs help. it has been a record year murder wise in PR but the gvmt doesnt have to do anything?
As previously stated, the U.S. has done plenty for Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans. It falls upon us (nosotros) to create much with the advantage of United States Citizenship, instead of waiting for yet another gov't handout.

So, are you advocating that crime is a justifiable means of gaining monetary wealth? Please tell me that's not what you mean. Instead of turning to crime, we (nosotros) should make use of our U.S. Citizenship to find avenues of lawful employment, such as the Military Sealift Command whom BTW, is holding a job's fair in Hato Rey on the 15th of this month. I posted the information in this forum. Please take it upon yourself to tell anyone needing a job about this.

Part of Puerto Rico's problem is the apparent attitude that you yourself display here; that is, an "entitlement" mentality. Believe it or not, people can accomplish things on their own without the gov't including, working for a living.

Way too many people feel entitled to some form of gov't assistance, even if they have to fraudulently declare a false medical condition which will result in a disability check. Why? So they no longer have to work like the rest of humanity.

I hope and pray for the day in which the United States Government will conduct a fine-tooth-comb audit of each and every person in Puerto Rico who lives off of my hard earned tax dollars. Why? So that those whom are committing fraud will be processed and encarcerated in accordance to the law, and so that anyone else contemplating on doing the same will think twice before fraudulently declaring a false medical condition.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM

217 posts, read 417,316 times
Quote:
there are some who are lieing to them selves when they do not see ties between race and status. blacks were taken to the island as slaves so it makes sense that blacks would be the poorer, less fortunate race....its just the hand that they were dealt. pr is getting worse, really ugly,
Agreed, additionally Loiza (a former rest haven for run-away slaves) also suffered due to bureaucratic racism, indifference and years of being underfunded.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
Agreed, additionally Loiza (a former rest haven for run-away slaves) also suffered due to bureaucratic racism, indifference and years of being underfunded.
Sure. Undeniably and historically, there has been some form of discrimination against US people of color. I state US beacuse I am a dark skinned person. That being stated, I can also say that, the best way to get around the issue of discrimination is to become highly skilled and qualified at a profession/vocation of our choice; to be unequivically qualified beyond a doubt, and to ensure that our profession/vocation results in secure and stable employment. In so doing, we get OURSELVES out of the ghettos we live in, and we rid ourselves from the ghetto-mentality that often plagues our minds, without gov't assitance.

There is nothing more reassuring than knowing that our skills are in high demand, despite one's age, and better yet, despite the downward economy.

Of course, being highly qualified at any profession/vocation requires hard work. But, as we all know, worthwhile and enduring things don't come easy. That's why there's a saying which states, "easy come, easy go."

Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 AM

6 posts, read 12,718 times
you know chacho keva, i wish things were as simple as you make em out to be....but they are not. its a cycle and its only getting worse, im not pro crime or advocating for crime/drug dealing ect...im just calling it how i see it.

ENTITLEMENT mentality? lol really? because i think/wish the usa should/would step in and help with the fight on drugs and the underworld? it would benefit the usa as well dont ya think? drugs get shipped from PR to the mainland daily. so you see im not talking about welfare, PR is becoming lil mexico/columbia, puerto ricans are suffering on the island like never before. this "narco-terrorism" is coming on strong and fast and its not like the government can deal with it on its own, i mean that much they have proven. whether corrupt or simply inept, the PR gvnmt has proven time and time again that it is a failure.

BTW, excuse me for advocating for a safer PR....O.M.G....what was i thinking? sorry! i felt entitled there for a minute

you mentioned "nosotros", about how WE have to do something...well how bout WE follow your lead? since you think its as simple as you have stated, how about you go down to your nearest PR ghetto and let it be known "que pienses a reglar".....ahn...vamos a ver

and chavo keva just so you know, i am doing my part. the youngins around me all get the speeches/threats lol depends how you view it. im 6 for 8 in having them go to college, 2 graduated this year(Syracuse, Stony brook), one is completing his last semester at bmcc, another at old westburry, 1 at Laguardia community college and 1 at NYC tech(i have another enrolled for the january term at laguardia) im really proud of them and how far they have come.

i cant save/help everyone but i definitely give my all to those around me so that maybe they can become better people(sometimes to no avail but still i make an effort)....my logic....if i help/teach/reach 1 of them....its progress...perhaps they will help/teach/reach another y si dios quiere that cycle will never end.....i can dream, cant i?

Last edited by aquien; 09-24-2011 at 02:21 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
you know chacho keva, i wish things were as simple as you make em out to be....but they are not. its a cycle and its only getting worse, im not pro crime or advocating for crime/drug dealing ect...im just calling it how i see it.

ENTITLEMENT mentality? lol really? because i think/wish the usa should/would step in and help with the fight on drugs and the underworld? it would benefit the usa as well dont ya think? drugs get shipped from PR to the mainland daily. so you see im not talking about welfare, PR is becoming lil mexico/columbia, puerto ricans are suffering on the island like never before. this "narco-terrorism" is coming on strong and fast and its not like the government can deal with it on its own, i mean that much they have proven. whether corrupt or simply inept, the PR gvnmt has proven time and time again that it is a failure.

BTW, excuse me for advocating for a safer PR....O.M.G....what was i thinking? sorry! i felt entitled there for a minute

you mentioned "nosotros", about how WE have to do something...well how bout WE follow your lead? since you think its as simple as you have stated, how about you go down to your nearest PR ghetto and let it be known "que pienses a reglar".....ahn...vamos a ver

and chavo keva just so you know, i am doing my part. the youngins around me all get the speeches/threats lol depends how you view it. im 6 for 8 in having them go to college, 2 graduated this year(Syracuse, Stony brook), one is completing his last semester at bmcc, another at old westburry, 1 at Laguardia community college and 1 at NYC tech(i have another enrolled for the january term at laguardia) im really proud of them and how far they have come.

i cant save/help everyone but i definitely give my all to those around me so that maybe they can become better people(sometimes to no avail but still i make an effort)....my logic....if i help/teach/reach 1 of them....its progress...perhaps they will help/teach/reach another y si dios quiere that cycle will never end.....i can dream, cant i?

Of course we cannot save everyone within our reach. But, giving people a little food for thought (as you are rightfully doing) is precisely what I am referring to when I say that WE (nosotros) have to do things for ourselves (from within), instead of waiting or expecting for the gov't to do it for us (from without).

People tend to stay away from drugs and crime when they acquire the responsibilities that come with good high paying jobs. But to get those jobs, we have to be willing to do the hard work that is required to acquire them. This requires a will power that only comes from within the individual. And will power cannot be obtained thru gov't entitlements (from without).

I conceed that it is the local gov't's responsibility to create a business friendly atmosphere which will attract high end businesses and investments which ultimately results in good paying jobs. It is also the local gov't's responsibility to secure the borders to ensure that boat loads of illegal aliens stop arriving.

You say that the gov't of PR is a failure. I agree with that statement. However, that is something that must be resolved internally (from within). As a U.S. territorry PR can enact its own set of strict laws which either meet or exceed federal laws and do whatever it must to clean up it's own house of corruption. Again, my point is that change has to come from within, not from without.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I recently went to the Puerto Rico Police Website to get the official homicide statistics for the island. Yes, I know, PR official crime statistics are high. In 2009, there were 894 murders at 22.6 per 100,000 in habitants. The US mainland is 5.5 according to the FBI. However, what was most intriguing was the data for municipalities. Based on Census estimates for 2008, I calculated the per capita homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants for many of the major towns. The results were interesting...

San Juan. 44.2. One of the highest.
Ponce. 48.5. Slightly higher than San JUan
Loiza. 88.8 Easily the worst.
Fajardo 26. Average for PR
Luquillo 29.2 A little above average for PR.

The other cities in the San Juan Metro Areas usually were in the 20-30 range.

Arreciba 11.7. better than PR average.
Mayaguez 18.3 better than PR average.

Some small communities were relatively violence-free...
Rincon, Lajas and Culebra lacked any homicide that year

Others, like Vieques only had one.

Now, the question for anyone more familiar with Puerto Rico than me. Why is this the case? Obviously the smaller towns are going to have much less violence than the big cities. However, why is Loiza the worst? Also, why is Ponce slightly worse than San Juan? Why are the large towns of Arreciba and Mayaguez better than municipalities with similar populations in the San Juan metro area? Why are Fajardo and Luquillo slightly above PR average? Is it just population density or do different municipalities have different income levels?...(I will search the web for the income levels and then post the data latter, but the data will only be a very general picture). Do drugs and gangs operate in different areas?

I do not know. I am simply interested in Puerto Rico since visiting during the summer and would like to hear from people who know the island better than I do. (I have a special interest in criminology so that is why I am curious above the crime rate by municipality). I am not trying to make any points, just trying to understand the regional discrepancies for violent crime in Puerto Rico. That's all.

San Juan is just as bad as New Orleans and Detroit and Baltimore when its come to homicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories