Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM

739 posts, read 2,261,484 times

Advertisements

If I am a US citizen do I need a visa to visit puerto rico? The airline said I need a valid US passport but I need to find out if I also need a visa and how long the visa is valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 05:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times

Puerto Rico is a US TERRITORY (read: colony). No, you do not need a visa, passport, or anything. It's the same as if you were to fly from New York to Florida.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,396 times
NO, US citizens do not need visas and/or passports to travel to any US Territory, however, you can use a passport as identification but it is not required, a state issued identification will suffice to comply with Homeland Security policy/laws according to TSA. Click on the TSA link below for a list of acceptable identification.

TSA: ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory (http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/whtibasics.shtm - broken link).

U.S. Territories: Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and American Samoa

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html - broken link)

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,780 times
No, you don't need a Visa. You can use MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 PM

Then why do airlines say you need a passport? Would it be better just to use it anyway I have a valid passport. I had to use it for a few weeks when I lost my liscense before they mailed the new one.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,780 times
There was a lot of confusion when the Western Travel Initiative went into effect, even amongst Puerto Ricans. Plus, a lot of people are not aware that Puerto Rico is a U.S. Territory.
Travel & Vacation Guide to Puerto Rico | Puerto Rico Tourism Company - Passport Information
I hope that you enjoy your visit to Puerto Rico.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
Then why do airlines say you need a passport? Would it be better just to use it anyway I have a valid passport. I had to use it for a few weeks when I lost my liscense before they mailed the new one.
Who knows why an airline would give out wrong information, it could be that the employee is not well versed in the required travel documents for different destinations and/or the person you spoke with just doesn't care, you may want to call them back and ask for clarification for your own peace of mind, if they do not know then ask to speak to a supervisor or even better yet, call TSA and/or US passport office.

I wouldn't carry the passport unless it was required, as a drivers license is sufficient, easier to retrieve and store in your wallet. In addition it would be less expensive to replace if you lost it.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
Take your passport. You don't need a passport to ENTER a US territory but you MAY be asked to provide proof of identity and citizenship upon leaving to return to the US mainland. A passport establishes both and, if you don't have one, it's advisable to carry a state-issued photo ID (i.e. driver's license) and a copy of your birth certificate. The majority of visitors coming to the USVI, for instance, have no problem coming and going with just a driver's license but once in a while they do a sweep and if you don't have appropriate documentation you may be hauled over to the side to answer some questions. Just take your passport ...

Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM

if thats the case how long untill we need passports to travel between states.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
My wife and I traveled to and from PR last January with no difficulty and all we had was our Texas drivers license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories