Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 AM

12 posts, read 37,766 times

Advertisements

hey i wanna either move to hawaii oahu or to puerto rico i know a lot about hawaii but not so much about puerto rico! at first sorry for wrong english its my second language. My first question is : how bad is it over there with spiders, bugs , snakes etc .. im horrified of spiders and would like to know if there are areas with less spiders or areas with more ..or what kind of spiders ..are they in the house do you see them every day?

i would like to live there and meet alot of nice ppl i am very tall blonde white woman married to a short black guy .. would that be a problem or would everybody accept me and be nice? how are the people over there friendly , angry , relaxed ?

wich is the nicest area to live. and with nicest area i dont neccesary mean gated communities .. i mean a nice area were i can see how the natives live and have my own house i let them live and they let me live ..or is there no such a thing ? are there areas just white ppl or just natives?

comparing to hawaii i think puerto rico is pretty cheap even tho i heard a lot ppl say its expensive .. i was looking at real estate listings and i saw nice big and cheap houses ..something what you will never see in oahu .. nice yea but not cheap . and i heard there are high taxes ..how high are they ?
thanks in advance for all the answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
If you don't like insects you might have a hard adjustment living here. It certainly was for me. There are wolf spiders and tarantulas. I have only found them outside the house not inside and mostly in the fall but they are huge and scary. I have found about six each fall I have lived here. Inside we have more common varieties of spiders. I have also found four snakes in our house since I moved here almost two years ago. Three were quite small but one was about 18 inches long and one inch wide. I do not think there are any poisonous species around though. We have also had to deal with lots of cockroaches (giant ones), fire ants, termites, no see ums and mosquitos. Geckos are quite common and impossible to keep out of the house. I know Hawaii has a lot of geckos but am not sure how it compares insect wise. As far as the expense - groceries are quite high here as are utilities. Housing is cheaper than in most states - similar to Texas property values.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:22 PM

thanks for the answer .. yea they have alot geckos in hawaii but no snakes and never seen a big spider over there... thanks for the information the only real problem to me are spiders ..i dont care about roaches or geckos...do you know if there are areas where are most likeley more spiders like close to the beach or up in the hills? thanks

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sop28 View Post
thanks for the answer .. yea they have alot geckos in hawaii but no snakes and never seen a big spider over there... thanks for the information the only real problem to me are spiders ..i dont care about roaches or geckos...do you know if there are areas where are most likeley more spiders like close to the beach or up in the hills? thanks
Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that. I do not live close to the beach though. When you are looking for a place check for round holes in the ground - if you see them you will know you can expect large spiders! Hopefully, others with more knowledge will join in and answer you.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that. I do not live close to the beach though. When you are looking for a place check for round holes in the ground - if you see them you will know you can expect large spiders! Hopefully, others with more knowledge will join in and answer you.
thank you!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM

72 posts, read 187,532 times
You can live at Isla Verde or Condado. Very touristy, sort of americanized. Pretty cool.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 PM

72 posts, read 187,532 times
No geckos in PR just your ordinary lizard, which by the way eats the cockroaches.....food chain

Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygrace View Post
You can live at Isla Verde or Condado. Very touristy, sort of americanized. Pretty cool.
thanks for the answer but i dont wanna live somewhere americanized ... i like to live in a friendly neighhbourhood with locals and friendly , loose people !

Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 PM

well i guess i wouldnt mind .. living somewhere americanized ..as long as the people are nice and open minded

Old 06-08-2010, 01:32 PM

355 posts, read 1,047,150 times
For starters, you might want to start to learn Spanish. Very few PRs actually speak fluent English and the rest might not speak it at all.

Bug? Well, let me separate this in two categories. If you live in a metro area or close to the beach, you're gonna have your share of mosquitoes and cockroackes (the big flying brown ones). Most spiders you will see are the little ones, those who tend to live inside the house. Be prepared to live with at least one lizard inside the house, those things are just impossible to eradicate. They eat the mosquitoes and roaches though. No snakes whatsoever. If you have lawn, you'll probably have problems with ants as well.

Now, if you don't live in the metro area, you'll probably be living close to the mountains or so, so you might have a bad experience with mosquitoes, roaches, and ants. You'll live with 2-3 lizards. You might see snakes, but PR snakes are non-poisonous and won't hurt you. There is some kind of hairy spider native to PR, as far as I know they are harmless.

You interracial marriage will not be a problem at all here in PR. We see whites marrying blacks all the time. PRs tend to be very mixed race-wise.

People at Metro Area tend to be more angrier because how hectic live if in the Metro Area. People tend to relax farther from Metro Area.

I don't recall a place with race segregation or anything close to that. People in the suburbs and gated communities tend to mind their business, although you will probably have 1 or 2 nosy neighbors.

PR might be cheaper than Hawaii, don't have the facts to back that up though. Word of advice, those "big and cheap" houses are probably far from the Metro Area. Houses in Metro Area are usually not very cheap. Of course, I don't know Hawaii real state market, so they might be cheap when compared to Hawaii. Maybe you could give us an example of one of those houses?

We got a sales tax of about 7%. Only gas is not taxable I think. Other members might say differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories