Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:02 PM

42 posts, read 176,820 times

Advertisements

My dh (who is originally from St. Thomas) has been telling me that recently the Crips (spelling?) & Blood gangs are recruiting members in the VI. He mentioned that there has been a lot of shootouts and that the Feds were getting involved. We were considering going to carnival this year but have nix that idea. Is it really bad? Has anyone noticed an increase in violence on the island? Is it affecting the tourism industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:09 PM

177 posts, read 958,961 times
Consider what is happening in Mexico. US government posted a warning for all US citizens that are traveling to Mexico as drug cartels became increasingly aggressive. However, Cancun and other tourist ares seem to be largely unaffected by what seems to be a raging drug war. I can't tell you that you will be safe, but my educated guess is that the tourist areas especial during day time are safe.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM

345 posts, read 1,277,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
the tourist areas especial during day time are safe.

enjoy your resort

Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times
You're kidding right? http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/vi/press_releases/GrantAwardNotice090607.pdf (broken link)

To think we've got some LA thing (sorry LA, but just a quick reference) going on here is ludicrous at best. All States, Territories and Possessions try to receive and spend as much as possible. That's all, it is political.

To think you'd nix an event because of your fear of the gangs is totally ridiculous. Go and enjoy and since you believe the Feds are involved (doesn't strike a chord of safety to me, but that's me), you should feel even more relaxed knowing the event will be heavily populated with Fed presence.

If your spouse in in fact from STT, you're only hurting his family/friends with a thread like this. In all probability, they are dependent on tourism in some way, 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree. Not nice if it was intended, but I'm certain it wasn't. Enjoy your time in STT.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance4dayzz View Post
My dh (who is originally from St. Thomas) has been telling me that recently the Crips (spelling?) & Blood gangs are recruiting members in the VI. He mentioned that there has been a lot of shootouts and that the Feds were getting involved. We were considering going to carnival this year but have nix that idea. Is it really bad? Has anyone noticed an increase in violence on the island? Is it affecting the tourism industry?
Where are you from D4? I'm from St. Thomas myself and I'm heading home for carnival. The most recent shootout down there did not involve random acts of violence. Had something to do with old beefs. IT got out of control and was sensationalized because it involved a public shootout between police and gunmen while driving. One innocent woman was shot in the leg during the shootout. Of course, this is unheard of back home so it gained a lot of attention.

Everything happened in the span of a few days so it seemed like we had a past week of shootings, however, the cops got a hold of the culprits even though I think one is still at large.

I plan to submit a few ideas to the powers that be when I get there. We need to keep such things off our islands. I'm just sorry to hear you guys are not going home.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Where are you from D4? I'm from St. Thomas myself and I'm heading home for carnival. The most recent shootout down there did not involve random acts of violence. Had something to do with old beefs. IT got out of control and was sensationalized because it involved a public shootout between police and gunmen while driving. One innocent woman was shot in the leg during the shootout. Of course, this is unheard of back home so it gained a lot of attention.

Everything happened in the span of a few days so it seemed like we had a past week of shootings, however, the cops got a hold of the culprits even though I think one is still at large.

I plan to submit a few ideas to the powers that be when I get there. We need to keep such things off our islands. I'm just sorry to hear you guys are not going home.
Actually there HAS been a rise in gang-related activity and violence in the last six months, it IS of concern and the authorities are well aware of the problem. The Governor has just issued a set of directives involving all levels of government to crack down and eliminate this activity which is basically contained to a few areas of St Thomas and St Croix. There have also been several school meetings held in the past year to bring parents up to date on what to look for where their children and signs of gang activity are concerned. There is a full article and a link to a related article in today's online newspaper, St Thomas Source.

That said, I see no reason for any visitor to cancel a visit whether it be for Carnival or any other time. We're not exactly talking scenes from West Side Story on the streets here. (Sorry the reference really does date me but I can't think of a modern analogy! )

Dance4day, I too am really sorry you've decided not to come home for Carnival. You'll miss a splendid time and a lot of fun! Cheers!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Actually there HAS been a rise in gang-related activity and violence in the last six months, it IS of concern and the authorities are well aware of the problem. The Governor has just issued a set of directives involving all levels of government to crack down and eliminate this activity which is basically contained to a few areas of St Thomas and St Croix. There have also been several school meetings held in the past year to bring parents up to date on what to look for where their children and signs of gang activity are concerned. There is a full article and a link to a related article in today's online newspaper, St Thomas Source.

That said, I see no reason for any visitor to cancel a visit whether it be for Carnival or any other time. We're not exactly talking scenes from West Side Story on the streets here. (Sorry the reference really does date me but I can't think of a modern analogy! )

Dance4day, I too am really sorry you've decided not to come home for Carnival. You'll miss a splendid time and a lot of fun! Cheers!
Thank you STT. Forgive me for typing my last post so later last night on a computer I was actually fixing that also had a rather interesting keyboard. Was not thinking too clearly.

Anyway, I'm VERY well aware as to what is going on back home. In fact, you might not know this but recently you may have read something I actually wrote in a local paper in relation to the madness. I also did ask of Virgin Islanders on another site if there was actual gang warfare going on back home. I have spoken to a member of the tourism board and plan to meet with someone I know in the Governor's cabinet who deals with these things to offer some suggestions.

In the meantime, I am trying to galvanize Virgin Islanders abroad to stop just talking about "home" and instead, trying to get them to also put pressure on the government and police force to step up their game. Many of us over here are part of the cream of the crop, so to speak, well educated and can use some of that "smarts" to positively influence things at home.

I realize these things happen everywhere (consider I have been to Jamaica 20 times and I mean the REAL Jamaica) but I won't fall back on that because I don't want to see it on our islands. Conversely, the spike in violence will not stop me from coming home as I realize life happens.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,017 times
Default Requesting information

I'm thinking of purchasing property on STT. I understand that there are no serious, widespread gang poblems on the island but believe there may be small pockets of problem areas as there are in any City or county Throughout the US or most other countries worldwide. Since I am not yet familiar with all areas of STT , or any areas on the island for the matter of fact, I'm wondering about the area around Cowpet Bay where I'm considering the purchase. Any information would be helpful especially if one thinks I would be better off looking in a different area of the island. Thanks in advance. Cheers, jeff

Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The Cowpet Bay area - in fact all of Estate Nazareth - is a lovely area on the East end. Very quiet and close to some of the best beaches on the island. Hope that helps. Cheers!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 AM

163 posts, read 420,303 times
blame rap/hip hop music
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories