U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 34,885 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I are moving to Puerto Rico this summer as part of my transfer with the US Coast Guard. We are attempting to narrow down our housing search to at least a few areas. Here is what we have going on:

-I will be working in Old San Juan
-I would like to TRY to keep my commute under an hour
-We have two children, 4 and 2. Our older one will be looking at Kindergarten in two years.
-We would prefer somewhere family oriented and laid back, but don't want to be too far from some nice places to eat/see.
-our rental budget is probably going to be capped at around $1800/month
-we love the beach, both of us grew up in Hawaii so we are excited to be back in paradise.

Thanks everyone! Look forward to hearing some ideas.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 AM

nothin??? Aww man!!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,002 times
Sorry - I'm not familar with that part of the island. Old San Juan is really neat though. Since you are working there, maybe you could check into living there as well and save yourself the commute.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM

353 posts, read 986,575 times
Where in Old San Juan will you be working? To keep your commute under an hour I'm thinking you will need to live in Old San Juan. There is always traffic at all times in Old San Juan and it can get pretty bad sometimes. I've always thought that living there shouldn't be that fun. Also, rentals in that area aren't cheap, but I think that your 1800 should cover it. You might want to live outside Old San Juan in order to find a peaceful place to live, but your 1 hour commute might not be possible.

I'll recommend a car because public transportation isn't good here. The bus doesn't stick to a reliable schedule and the train doesn't reach Old San Juan. I'll also recommend that you and your family try to polish your Spanish. Not many PRs speak English and you'll have a hard time trying to get yourself understood. Although if you stick to Old San Juan you might fare better, people there are used to Americans because Old San Juan is a tourist area, but even there you won't find many people who speak fluent English.

I can't help you about family friendly areas, sorry. Maybe if you have some options lined up and tell me about them I might be able to give you some pointers.

Good luck with the move!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the advice. We have heard that the Dorado area is nice, but I would expect the commute to be lengthy. It might just be something I have to get used to.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but commuting in or out of Old San Juan is most of the time quite difficult. If you're planning on living in Dorado, you might be in for a lengthy commute. I don't want to bust your bubble, but I don't want you to expect an easy commute. The Metro Area is usually very difficult to commute into.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM

No bubble bursted, I've heard the stories. I guess I will have to sacrifice some home time to live in a bit slower of an area. Thanks again for being up front with everything, much appreciated.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 PM

any comments on Guaynabo? We have heard nice things about that area as well, and it might be a bit shorter commute.

Thanks again!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM

Guaynabo should be a better place to live than Old SJ. Don't know about the commute though. I think you're gonna end up taking the highway to get into Old SJ. If it's the highway I'm thinking about, you might be in for some bad rush hours. You would need to leave early.

Besides that, I think Guaynabo is a better choice to live in compared to Old SJ.

You can post here any areas around Guaynabo you might be looking at and me or others can give you some info on it.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,897 times
If you want to have a suburban lifestyle, Guaynabo is an option; but be prepared to be on the road for at least one hour (round trip) each day, not including the traffic jams. However, if you really want to enjoy and take the most out of Puerto Rico, Old San Juan is the place to be, especially if you are going to be working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories