U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM

6 posts, read 47,581 times

Advertisements

Its sad that we as Americans are not aware of the diversity of our own country. There is a lot of mis information related about Puerto Rico, so hopefully this will help, having lived there in the island for several years.

I read in this forum something about paperwork to find a job, visas, or even warnings about the island. First of all Puerto Rico is no different than any other state of the US, but the fact of the matter is that if PR was a full state it would be the poorest state. Like in any part of the US there are bad neighborhoods and areas, the person that said he became in contact with a gunman in a bike or whatever has just described a bad area and probably a hot spot for drug trafficking. Across the entire US there are bad areas, and drugs, and hate crimes, gangs, random killings, hit an run's, thief's, scammers, pimps, drug addicts, drunkies, corrupt/bad cops, etc. so to come here in this forum and give PR a bad rap is not just real.

Puerto Ricans are naturally born US citizens(in 1941 the nationality act was extended to PR) and I think that they can become US president just like any of us, I know that a large group of Puerto Ricans are currently involved in mainland stuff such as, congress, senate, governors, mayors, federal judges, police officers, US ambassadors to foreign countrys, Military generals, major generals, NASA, FBI, CIA, Homeland security, FEMA, Coust gard, and even surgeon general just to name a few. So anyway's just to clarify and help. After all we are not that different. Equality is the name of the game.

There has been an ongoing war and debating in the island for years now about statehood, there's a lot of things going on right now with the island, so with that in mind learn and read before you post.

So to answer your question, yes you may live or work or do whatever is that you do, down there in Puerto Rico, no papers, no visas, no nothing is required to enter the island just a pic id or a US drivers license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 36,504 times
Default Puerto Ricans are Natural born U.S. Citizens...

Of course Puerto ricans can run for the U.S. presidency because they are Natural born U.S. citizens. If they complete the other requirements, they will be available to run...

According to [url=http://www.usconstitution.net]Index Page - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net[/url]

"Many parts of the world have law to provide them with special status, to allow children born in those places to be considered natural-born. This allows families with a long history of working in these areas without ever returning to the U.S. to be considered natural-born. For example, the Panama Canal Zone had been in U.S. possession for a full century, and some families lived there for generations. [URL="http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/1403.html"]8 USC 1403[/URL] handles the Zone specifically, stating that anyone born in the Zone on or after 2/26/1904, to at least one citizen-parent, is a natural-born citizen. Similar law is in place to handle the acquisition of territories, such as Puerto Rico, Alaska, and Hawaii."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Look at this article in the Puerto Ricon Herald - Puerto Ricans are statutory residents, which carries a different weight. Apparently the wording of the Constitution has never been tested fully. This is an old article from 2003, but nothing has changed. I think the issue may be residency - a native born PR living in PR may possibly not be eligible, but a PR who has lived actually in the U.S. or on a military base may be. Remember that Puerto Rico is an unicorporated territory. I think we could ask the same thing about someone from Guam and end up with the same conundrum.

[URL="http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2003/vol7n38/Poll0738-en.html"]PUERTO RICO HERALD: Does a "statutory" Puerto Rican American citizen qualify under the U.S. Constitution to be President of the United States?[/URL]

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM

12 posts, read 132,644 times
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory different from the Mariana Islands where I understand Americans can't buy property and need special permits. It's very much like any state of Union except most things are in Spanish. The U.S. Virgin Islands speaks its own English. There are federal agencies like DOL, HUD, DOJ, even Border Patrol. To clarify an absolute misunderstanding, most working residents of Puerto Rico do not pay federal income taxes on income earned in PR, but they still pay the Social Security and Medicare taxes. And, yes the IRS has a large presence here. Also, federal government employees must file both federal and island tax returns and request a credit for taxes paid to the island coffers.

I was transferred to Puerto Rico from the mainland over 2 years ago and I've never seen anyone riding around with an AK-47. My cousin came down last Christmas and I took him through the city and we never saw anyone with a firearm other than law enforcement and a few security guards. Of course there's a lot of crime and the media hypes it up even more.

Last edited by latin.traveler; 01-14-2008 at 06:26 PM..

Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 PM

94 posts, read 280,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latin.traveler View Post
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory different from the Mariana Islands where I understand Americans can't buy property and need special permits.
I think this might be true for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), but not Guam--part of the Marianas geographically, but politically separate as an Unincorporated Territory of the United States.

Any American can own property in Guam in the same or very similar way as you can here on mainland. I believe much of the Guam Code Annotated is patterned after California state law.

Heck, FOREIGNERS own lots of premium property there, including many of the premier hotels and resorts on Tumon Bay.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 PM

21 posts, read 147,749 times
So if you have a high paying job then you can easily live grandly in Puerto Rica. All the best!!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM

582 posts, read 1,854,665 times
puerto rico is no different than any other city in the u.s.there's good and bad areas everywhere.puerto rico is actually better to live in than some u.s cities.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 36,389 times
The U.S.A. population in general shows time after time ignorance when it comes to crucial international political, economic and cultural factors that helped to shape the pluralist society we have inherited. A great deal of resources are used the minimize contributions from E.S.L. members of our communities. Before the constitution was drafted and adopted there were already many nations in what today is U.S. territories. Residence should not be the main criteria to define who is or is not an American citizenship. By 1776, the 13 colonies were struggling to form a nation and thrive. History has failed to remind us that there were plenty of nations deeply rooted in what today we know as the U.S.A. Groups like the Native Americans including the ones from Alaska, as well as other culturally defined groups like the Spanish speaking ones in Florida, Texas, the South East and California, Hawaii with its great culture , the French speaking Northern New England settlements and the Franco-Americans in Louisiana, as well as the Spanish speaking Puerto Rico have to be all considered nations.
The U.S. Union is a formula that grants citizenship, rights and responsibilities to individuals and not to nation/states. So what’s the big deal? If you ask me the more diversity, the richer culture and multilinguism are all positive factors enriching all of our lives.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:16 PM

12 posts, read 132,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwatch View Post
So if you have a high paying job then you can easily live grandly in Puerto Rica. All the best!!

Kind of. Depends on what you're willing to live off. The northwestern part of the island has lots of nice beaches and surfing. The people there are very welcoming and bright. If you can live like an islander and lesser wages as a trade off for access the great beaches and weather, yeah!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:00 AM

68 posts, read 211,378 times
Default Yes paperwork!!!

Yes there is paperwork involved in getting a job in PR. You have to get a physical and be "cleared". Also you have to get a stamp from the local police saying there are no warrants out for your arrest and that you have paid your child support.

It may sound trivial but paperwork is never trivial in PR.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 47,595 times
The local news tend to exagarate crime. As long as you don't venture into dangerous parts and use common sense, there is little chance of dangerous things to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories