U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 AM

41 posts, read 186,937 times

Advertisements

Hi, sorry to spoil the fun but I agree with Sam am I the only difference is that over here people who do not live here exagerate with that of the crime. Of course there is crime but as long as you do not come here to make a living by selling drugs then you would be alright. Most of the crimes here are drug related and yes it is happening in the projects and high crime areas such as some "barrios" and public housing sectors.
So if you arrive here with a company or any other way of making a living you will do just fine, rents are average and you could find a nice apt. house, condo it all depends in your budget. If you try to rent in Isla Verde, Condado areas which are tourist areas of course the rent is going to be super high but hey there plenty of options to choose from.
I do not know how much they are offering you in salary to move here but how I see things all basic services are sky rocketing electric100%,
water 100% now the gallon of milk costs 5.15 or so and fuel wow it is 87 cents the litter, so if you are relocating you might do it for 40k or up to survive without struggle. Enough said... good luck and if I can be of any help let me know. I am planning to relocate myself moving to Buffalo NY pretty soon.

gato!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 AM

13,113 posts, read 25,498,713 times
Hold on!!!!!!!!!!
Fuel is 87 CENTS a liter?!?!?

Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM

1,772 posts, read 4,075,949 times
yes.....that's $3.29 a gallon....which is about par for the course compared to the states nowadays.

The island's reasoning for metering fuel in liters (like Europe and S. America) instead of gallons has always been political...this comes back to my point on another thread about elections being a local sport in PR; anything and everything the govt can do (under a non-statehood administration) to separate any kind of cultural identity commonality with the CONUS is a step they take withouth blinking once, as retarded as it is for US citizens to have to go to a territory, pay with USD but have to do the math at the pump.

As to crime, all I can say is good luck with the move to the island, your willingness to re-culturalize will define how well or not you adjust to the shocking reality that is leaving all the things people take for granted in the CONUS, such as etiquette in public, interactions at social places like pubs and sports bars, hours to avoid being outside (not places, hours), traffic and schools (yes there are NO decent public schools, it's an oxymoron down there). Sorry, but I have to call Kings X on the theory that crime is "what you make of it", not down there.

Federal employees have somewhat of a more sterilized environment, but not really that sheltered from the day to day. Only people who are somewhat able to insulate themselves from the day to day down there are the airline pilot crews and other commuter-types, in and around Isla Verde. To a lesser extent the non-spanish speaking population that came with the pharmaceuticals and the few oil companies, and even those have to confront the culture shock (since these types live away from San Juan). If you're not in any of these job fields, giddy up!
Good luck.

Last edited by hindsight2020; 04-23-2008 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 AM

41 posts, read 186,937 times
Default update

hey! here this by today the fuel price this morning is 90 cents the liter....
I wonder where is all this going to end up. Are we going back to the horse and saddle era? or riding a bike to work? We might never know. Riding a motorcycle here is crazy so I rather bring a horse hahahah! I do not undestand if already there is the technology to run cars with water why depend on fuel, ethenol, gas, to power our rides? We will keep you posted.
have a great day!
gato

Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiebuild1700 View Post
i have worked in the virgin islands and P.R. if you are from the mainland as they say, you need no permit's. good luck, you will need it, be very careful.

tommie
Yes, you'll need your social security number and government issued id's handy.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 PM

13 posts, read 46,507 times
yes.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 14,966 times
Due to the heavy level of illegal drug trafficking on the island (similar to towns/cities along the Mexico/US border), there are areas where you will be warned at gunpoint to leave or you will be shot. I kid you not. Armed enforcers on dirt bikes or ATV's carrying AK-47's. Of course my biggest concern would be scammers and armed robbers as carjacking is pretty common in the high crime areas. It's like the crack era over there 24/7 only MUCH MORE of the population deals with that reality then Americans did during that period.

Where are those places?? I lived there for a period of time, never seen anything like it. About the question: Puerto Rico is a commonwealth state of USA. Puertorricans are American Citizens with all the rights and duties we all Americans have. They do have their own system of paying taxes but can't buy anything but thru Us. Which means they Have to buy everything from USA $$$ Lots of money for us. Besides if you are a Federal employee, like my husband is, He had to file two tax returns instead of one. Living there is not for everybody. Different culture/language and values. If you are open-minded enough to accept changes;it can be a great adventure. People are very nice in the island; that was our experience.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,238 times
How is the hairdressing industry in PR?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM

196 posts, read 308,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythspell View Post
The answer to that is fairly obvious... no matter where you go anywhere in the world there are certain areas more dangerous than others. And no one should let some of this talk scare them off Puerto Rico. Just consider a relatively easy example... millions of people live in and visit Los Angeles every year and love the warm weather and beaches but clearly they use common sense and don't go wandering around the gang and drug areas. Puerto Rico is no different - millions of people live and visit there without problem. Just recognize the obvious fact that anywhere has areas that a more dangerous than others and act accordingly.
Mythspell, some of these folks want to LIVE in PR. If we're so overcrowded already and those of us who moved to the mainland U.S. have confronted so much discrimination and hardship, having decided to come back to live out the rest of our lives after retirement or because we grew weary of it all in the 'states, why encourage people from the 'states to come here, drive up the price of everything, criticizing everything they see with no contribution and take our jobs to boot? Mythspell, if you're from here, be careful what you wish for, if not, PLEASE set you sights elsewhere, we have no more room, spare us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories