U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM

305 posts, read 437,021 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Abu Dhabi? Can you list the pros and cons of the region besides the heat in the summer? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 AM

600 posts, read 998,509 times
What would you be doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, it's obviously heavy muslim. I'd be careful being a westerner.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 PM

305 posts, read 437,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
What would you be doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, it's obviously heavy muslim. I'd be careful being a westerner.
higher education. due to having a sponsor the housing would be paid for and it's good money. I don't think it's as dangerous for westerners as 10 years ago, but I understand what you're saying.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM

I'd say jump on it if ya can. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity and a once in a lifetime chance.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,453,024 times
I suggest you do some research into what it might be like to work there, first. I know that in Dubai you can have very serious problems if you have debt and lose your job (such as ending up in jail and having your passport revoked, I think). There are some articles about people who have had serious legal problems in Dubai.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...i-1664368.html

Old 06-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Yeah.....on second thought, you might want to rethink that whole thing. Or at least check on Abu Dhabi's laws to see if they're like Dubai's laws....Holy cow!

Last edited by shamrox311; 06-10-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM

26,590 posts, read 57,057,903 times
I asked a friend who is an expat there, and this is what he told me:

The UAE is a tolerant Islamic country. Westerners have special rules. You are able to buy a special permit to purchase a small amount of alcohol in specific stores in American interest hotels. Of course the alcohol can only be consumed in your home. There are also plenty of bars where Westerners are free to mingle with each other and drink/dance.

Western women don't have to comply with modesty laws to a degree, although you'd be taking chances to appear in a string bikini, a modest swimsuit is acceptable. In general he suggests fairly modest clothing. Nothing too low cut or tight. Unless you go to a mosque, you won't need to cover your head.

English is commonly spoken, and there is a huge expat community there.

A few things, if you are female you should be cautious socializing alone with male UAE citizens. Islam forbids this. You should never offer your left hand to shake, it's considered a major faux pas. Some of the larger grocery stores sell pork and pork products, you'll find them in a seperate meat department. Soem Western foods are also available, but often for a price.

Housing is very, very expensive in Abu Dahbi, and my friend suggests finding the nicest building, even if the apartment is smaller. Tipping is expected, and you'll find a lot of people in the service industry.

He loves it there and has no plans on leaving anytimes soon.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:19 PM

154 posts, read 459,090 times
Caution for you - I can't recall if it's Abu Dahbi or if it's Dubai but my friend's husband is an architect who was sent there very recently for an extended time for work. (Funny, it was either go there or have no work at all in the U.S.) They TAKE your passport from you while you are there. He insisted that he wouldn't give it to them. Somehow he managed to convince them not to. This is not just the company he worked for with this rule- he was told it was gov't policy if you are there for any length of time. I don't know about you but that sure isn't within my comfort level.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Caution for you - I can't recall if it's Abu Dahbi or if it's Dubai but my friend's husband is an architect who was sent there very recently for an extended time for work. (Funny, it was either go there or have no work at all in the U.S.) They TAKE your passport from you while you are there. He insisted that he wouldn't give it to them. Somehow he managed to convince them not to. This is not just the company he worked for with this rule- he was told it was gov't policy if you are there for any length of time. I don't know about you but that sure isn't within my comfort level.
That's Dubai.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,431,788 times
I know many who were in the oil industry that actually moved to work all over the miiddle east during the 70's recession. Many actaully retired and now get their retirement check from such places. They returned to the USA on vacations a few times.They said they were very well treated and well paid . From their standard of living in retirement it seems they did well.It migyht really depend on the profession tho because they were basically taken care of as far as living expenses from what they said while there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment