U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM

382 posts, read 1,786,390 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am currently on Tier 2 and my original Benefit Year expired. I called today to reactivate the claim in order to continue collecting the rest of Tier 2. The PAUC employee asked me the same questions I answered last year in order to test me for the new claim. She said I would probably continue my Tier 2 because I have not worked during my last benefit year. The only problem she said would be - 4 weeks of pay after my last date of employment with the employer I was laid off from. She said she will need to contact my previous employer and verify what kind of pay was it; and then they will either establish new claim (WHICH I DO NOT WANT), or put me back on Tier 2 of my original claim. That 4 weeks of pay was severance pay. Could you please advise if they will establish new claim based on 4 weeks of severance or will I be but back on my original benefit weekly rate Tier 2? Thank you!
Here is the link with my original Thread with more detailed info about my unemployment situation. Thank you again!
//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post13144496

Deatails:
Last Day of work: 6/27/2009
Filed UC claim and was eligeble to receive PA UC.
Received 4 weeks of severance on July 2009. Did not let PAUC know about severance.
BY ended 6/12/2010.
Called to reactivate to continue on Tier 2 on 6/13/2010.
Next:??????????????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM

129 posts, read 506,487 times
Odessit771: When your benefit year ends, Pennsylvania de-activates your unemployment claim until you call them to get your claim restarted. They will check your previous benefit year to see if you have worked during that time. You mentioned getting severance pay from your last employer. In PA, severance pay is not grounds for a reduction in benefits nor grounds to discontinue your uemployment benefits. Severance pay is not classified as earned income, because it is a one time payment to you for time of service with your last company. Unemployment will see the severance money there, they will probably ask you about it, just tell them you received severance pay from your last employer. Once they see you didn't work during your previous benefit year, they will restart another benefit year for you, and put you back onto Tier 2. In order to get a new 26-week unemployment claim, you would have had to work during your benefit year, and made 6 times your weekly benefit rate to qualify. 99% of people don't qualify for another 26-week claim because they haven't worked thus they are ineligible for a new 26-week UI claim.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:01 PM

When she asked me about 4 weeks worth pay, I replied I don't remember (I was afraid). So, she said she will contact my previous employer to check whether it was severance, vacation, holiday etc.... Do I need to call PAUC back and tell them I remember it was severance now? Or should I contact my ex employer and tell them to contact PAUC to tell them that they paid me severance? Or should I take no actions?
Also, why did she ask me about why I ended the employment? I quit due to harassment and filed an appeal a year ago. I won and was awarded PAUC. Will I need to go through all this again?

Thank you so much!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:41 PM

1. When she asked me about 4 weeks worth pay, I replied I don't remember (I was afraid). So, she said she will contact my previous employer to check whether it was severance, vacation, holiday etc.... Do I need to call PAUC back and tell them I remember it was severance now? Or should I contact my ex employer and tell them to contact PAUC to tell them that they paid me severance? Or should I take no actions?
Also, why did she ask me about why I ended the employment? I quit due to harassment and filed an appeal a year ago. I won and was awarded PAUC. Will I need to go through all this again?

Thank you so much!

2. Also, is it fine that I filed biweekly claims in July 2009 and also received 4 weeks severance pay? I did not tell PA UC about this, will I be penalized?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM

129 posts, read 506,487 times
1. Odessit, if the money from your employer was indeed severance pay, I wouldn't worry about being afraid. Do you have separation paperwork from your former employer explaining what is being paid out to you?? If you do, then if PA unemployment needs to see that documentation, you can prove what the money was for. When I was laid off, my former employer had me sign paperwork to release the severance monies to me. But I would think your former employer will tell them what the money was used for.

You also asked about your circumstances leading to you being awarded unemployment. Unemployment should know the circumstances and the outcome of your being awarded your benefits. PA unemployment does make it a point to follow up on any claims of earned income or reasons of being let go from a job. Again, I wouldn't worry being asked about why you collected unemployment when you quit. They already know why, end of story.

2. As I stated earlier, PA unemployment doesn't recognize severance pay as earned income. It does not have any effect on qualifying or receiving benefits, or reducing your weekly benefit amount. Severance pay is a one time payment based on service within your company. There are some states that won't let you collect unemployment until you've exhausted your severance money, but in PA, it doesn't work that way. As I said in the last email, if they ask, tell them what it was for, they can verify it with your former employer.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 PM

16,303 posts, read 14,272,873 times
When you called in your first weekly claim and you talked to a Rep way back in 09 , didn't they ask you " Will you receive Vacation Pay , Holiday Pay , Severence Pay or Wages in Lieu of Notice " ? Either by phone rep or weekly call in claim..

If they did and you said NO then that might be a problem.

In the following weeks after that first call and claim , each claim asks the same question as above did you receive or WILL you receive VP , HP , WILON , Or Severence pay ?

Did you ever get asked that question ?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 PM

There are only 5 questions on PA claims:
1. Holiday pay
2. Vacation pay
3. Did you work
4. Were you able and available to work
5. Did you miss work when work was available

Nothing about severance

Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 PM

wannalineingreenville: perhaps the ask about severance in your state?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM

16,303 posts, read 14,272,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
wannalineingreenville: perhaps the ask about severance in your state?
Yes they ask about that . But your state does not. I would not worry then unless you can find a state PA forum that might know the answer to your question .

Old 09-24-2014, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,272 times
Default When should I apply for Unemployment Compensation?

My recent employment was terminated this past Monday, Sept. 22. I was hired as a teaching assistant(TA) for a TA's salary but performing teacher duties (working approx. 15 -20 hours outside of my required 8 -4 hours). The administrator terminated my employment because, as she stated, we were not a good fit. My first question is, should I be eligible for unemployment if I wasn't a good fit? She also told me that she would be paying me severance pay for 2 weeks. This means that I will receive my last pay check on Oct. 10. I am trying to determine whether I should apply immediately or wait until after I have received my last pay check, the severance check. From the research that I have done, it seems that if I apply now these next 3 weeks will be counted against me and will count towards my 26 weeks - that is, if I am found eligible. Am I understanding this correctly, or do I apply now?
Another confusing matter for me is, although I currently live in Tennessee, I have only been here since July 29, 2013. Prior to that, I lived and worked in Pennsylvania, where I actually earned $600.00 more a month than I earned here from July 29, 2013 - August 9, 2014. I am hoping to receive unemployment from PA since I definitely earned more there. However, the job that I was let go from was in Virginia. I have only been there the last 2 months. I earned about the same at this position as I did at the position in PA (but worked about twice as many hours). How will my compensation be determined? I hope that it is not calculated on the Tennessee job, the one in the middle of the two because I was paid significantly less at this position. None of the three have paid me a teacher's salary, which is what I am. I was laid off from another private school in 2009 and have only been able to get TA positions since then, at 1/3 of the pay and no benefits. I would appreciate any advice I can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment