Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 AM

112 posts, read 330,381 times

Advertisements

Before I became unemployed, I used to think that the unemployed people were lazy bums who were living off of free money. I used to think that they didn't want to work. I used to wonder why they would even put themselves in that position.

Silly me, now I'm unemployed. I think the employed people should be very careful at worik. They should cross their t's and dot their i's because corperate America has the upperhand. If they want you out, now alll they have to say is the economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Good and bad.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 AM

269 posts, read 710,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNicerThanYou View Post
Before I became unemployed, I used to think that the unemployed people were lazy bums who were living off of free money. I used to think that they didn't want to work.
Part of me felt that way, but when I had to hire/interview applicants I realized that wasn't the case. Probably the saddest thing was answering the door and seeing someone standing there, disheveled and asking for a job...even if it meant sweeping floors.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
I felt sorry for them. I was trying to find a different job for about 4 months before my old company shut down our store and laid off everyone working there. I couldn't find one then, so I realized that there wasn't anything out there. Now I've been unemployed since November 17th and still haven't found a job. I have about 2 1/2 weeks left on my unemployment and if they don't pass the extensions I won't even get into Tier 1 and I'm not sure what will happen to us.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
I felt nothing whatsoever because "unemployed people" is far too broad of a categorization to mean anything. It's like saying "what do you think about men" or "what do you think about Germans." ie I think all kinds of things, but it depends on the specifics.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 PM

117 posts, read 218,398 times
I Thought I Would Never Be One Of Them!

ie, A Good Employee Can Aways Find Work; That Thought, Whether It Was True In The Past, Has Nothing To Do With NOW!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
I never thought about it one way or the other - I guess in hindsight I was lucky I landed my last job in Dec 07 just as this recession started to deepen.

Of course I was aware the economy was in the doldrums beginning mid 08 and intensifying at the end of 08. Even being employed it was a little hard to miss the downturn in sales and the voluntary cut in hours, but I mistakenly thought we would make it through with everyone being prepared to "make sacrifices". Unfortunately mid 09 it became clear some jobs would have to go and they also went to a paycut and 4 day week for those lucky enough to remain.

I think the only time I've really thought badly of the unemployed at all would have been back when the UE rate was around the 5% and below mark - then you WOULD wonder wth was going on (but then again they only got 26 weeks and that was usually enough to find something else).

Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmarabianz View Post
A Good Employee Can Aways Find Work; That Thought, Whether It Was True In The Past, Has Nothing To Do With NOW!
This is one of the huge challenges the unemployed face--the assumption that they are lazy, worthless, unproductive people. Unfortunately I don't think that sentiment is rare but rather widespread amongst people who are employed. That sentiment is probably also held by hiring managers who have probably never suffered real employment difficulties in their lives and who are just disconnected.

It is a sophomoric notion that is part of what I like to call "The Myth of Meritocracy".

The dark side of my personality wonders, "Is that what the French Nobles thought of the peasants just before the French Revolution? Did the French peasants show nobles that they could be productive in the field of guillotine construction?"

Old 06-18-2010, 01:14 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
until this recession and or my retirement, I always thought of unemployed people who were LOOKING, lucky. They could take a chance and find something they loved or were passionate about. They could explore new jobs or careers. They could go on alot of interviews and find the perfect match. I thought they had alot of time to find the GREATEST PASSION for themselves. Thats when they had the upper hand. Now its a whole different ballgame. I look at the unemployed with great pain, worry and feel terrible for them!!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM

117 posts, read 218,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I never thought about it one way or the other - I guess in hindsight I was lucky I landed my last job in Dec 07 just as this recession started to deepen.

Of course I was aware the economy was in the doldrums beginning mid 08 and intensifying at the end of 08. Even being employed it was a little hard to miss the downturn in sales and the voluntary cut in hours, but I mistakenly thought we would make it through with everyone being prepared to "make sacrifices". Unfortunately mid 09 it became clear some jobs would have to go and they also went to a paycut and 4 day week for those lucky enough to remain.

I think the only time I've really thought badly of the unemployed at all would have been back when the UE rate was around the 5% and below mark - then you WOULD wonder wth was going on (but then again they only got 26 weeks and that was usually enough to find something else).
I've Never Thought "badly of the unemployed", Just Thought It Was A Choice;
Unlike Today, The Choice Has Been Taken Away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment