Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 PM

377 posts, read 588,944 times

Advertisements

Instant Lunch--28 cents at Wal-Mart. Also make sure to get their "Great Value" saltines for under $2--perfect for dipping into your cup of noodles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:23 AM

112 posts, read 330,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
Instant Lunch--28 cents at Wal-Mart. Also make sure to get their "Great Value" saltines for under $2--perfect for dipping into your cup of noodles.
How are people who don't have unemployment checks anymore going to afford to fill up their cars with gas to get to Walmart. Oh wait, they don't have to worry about that, their car insurance was canceled.

How are they going to get their children to the bus stop? How many parents are not able to feed their children.

All I gotta say is I hope all of these people who lose thier benefits get on welfare, but wait a sec, I read an article in the paper that says it takes up till three months now to get on welfare because of the increase in applicants, go figure.

Why are we involved in Isreal when we can't even help ourselves?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNicerThanYou View Post
How are people who don't have unemployment checks anymore going to afford to fill up their cars with gas to get to Walmart. Oh wait, they don't have to worry about that, their car insurance was canceled.

How are they going to get their children to the bus stop? How many parents are not able to feed their children.

All I gotta say is I hope all of these people who lose thier benefits get on welfare, but wait a sec, I read an article in the paper that says it takes up till three months now to get on welfare because of the increase in applicants, go figure.

Why are we involved in Isreal when we can't even help ourselves?

You would think that people made the necessary adjustments while they were on their 99 weeks or while they were going through their savings. IE moving to a cheaper place to live where you can get by without a car.

I know of plenty of people that have sold their homes and cars and moved into affordable housing near public transit. It's something they did when they saw what the economy was like. I even know 2 families that walked away from their homes (signed it over to the bank) and moved down South where they can get by a little easier.

How far is the busstop that children w/ or w/o parents can't walk to it?

I sure do hope these children get welfare before they are hungry. In NJ, we have lots of church programs and shelter programs that will help with food.

Regarding Isreal, I have no comment. I'm a believer that government action is needed. I am not convinced that an extension is the solution to the larger picture. An reduced extension, along with some other strategy might be better.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 AM

8 posts, read 13,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
And don't forget that packages of Ramen noodle soup (different flavors) are only 17 cents in Walmart. Cheap, filling and tastes good too!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 AM

68 posts, read 162,648 times
Unhappy Looks like they voted against extending unemployment benefits...

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/jun2010/unem-j18.shtml

Old 06-18-2010, 05:30 AM

16 posts, read 20,793 times
Is it going to happen at all, starting to wonder............

I have 2 weeks left of benefits, im in tier1. Most likely I won't be seeing anymore in a couple weeks. Doesn't sound like this is going to pass.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM

154 posts, read 535,709 times
Anybody who had the misfortune to lose their job more recently is really going to be in an bad way if some form of extension does not go through. Will they be faced with only the 26 week state UI benefits while others received up to 99 weeks? This is just so unfair to them because the unemployment rate really isn't any better than when the 99'ers first got on board. I don't want to pit one group of unemployed against another but it's just common sense that 26 weeks is nowhere near enough time in this dismal job market to find a job. I am not in the category anymore of the unemployed since I just started a job but I do feel that some extension must be approved. I have learned so much about politics since I started following this fiasco of UI extensions, and I haven't really liked what I have learned.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 AM

83 posts, read 140,237 times
Great meal plan. Nicely complements Chinese-level wages and salaries.

Actually, I venture that once everybody is forced to subside on a Ramen diet for lack of adequate income, US workers will finally be able to compete with their Chinese counterparts again.

RAMEN FOR ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycarole View Post
And don't forget that packages of Ramen noodle soup (different flavors) are only 17 cents in Walmart. Cheap, filling and tastes good too!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Anybody who had the misfortune to lose their job more recently is really going to be in an bad way if some form of extension does not go through. Will they be faced with only the 26 week state UI benefits while others received up to 99 weeks?
You are correct. A lot of us who have been working through the recession have been employed by a string, fear full everyday that we are going to lose our jobs. If I lost my job today, I am pretty sure I would get 6 months at the most. Anyone who was lucky enough to get 99 weeks should be very grateful IMO.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 AM

348 posts, read 707,006 times
Its not a question of who got what when. Its the fact that the odds of finding a job in this financial climate is terrible for anyone who does not have a job. If anything, things are worse now than when this hole extension thing started. In my mind that makes the fact that some got more then others in a time that everyone still needs help totally unexceptional!

The ultra rich have been totally without conscience in the decisions than they have made in the business world. First they monopolized all of this countries manufacturing, retail, and service related businesses. No more little manufacturing businesses. No more ma and pa retail stores. Only companies that look at people as numbers. So the hope of beating the bean counter to get a good paying job is all but a dream. If all that wasn't enough the quest to save a buck lead them to other third world country's to buy all of their merchandise.By doing this they all but whipped out any reaming small us manufactures who were just hanging on.

So for all the money fiend's who have put this once proud nation to sham. Its time to pay the piper and anti up for the surplus of good, and still proud Americans who are out of work. With tiers 1-100 if thats what it takes to make things right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment