U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM

7,008 posts, read 6,307,844 times

Advertisements

Fears grow as millions lose jobless benefits | Reuters

CINCINNATI (Reuters) – Deborah Coleman lost her unemployment benefits in April, and now fears for millions of others if the Senate does not extend aid for the jobless.

"It's too late for me now," she said, fighting back tears at the Freestore Foodbank in the low-income Over-the-Rhine district near downtown Cincinnati. "But it will be terrible for the people who'll lose their benefits if Congress does nothing."

For nearly two years, Coleman says she has filed an average of 30 job applications a day, but remains jobless.

"People keep telling me there are jobs out there, but I haven't been able to find them."

Coleman, 58, a former manager at a telecommunications firm, said the only jobs she found were over the Ohio state line in Kentucky, but she cannot reach them because her car has been repossessed and there is no bus service to those areas.

After her $300 a week benefits ran out, Freestore Foodbank brokered emergency 90-day support in June for rent. Once that runs out, her future is uncertain.

"I've lost everything and I don't know what will happen to me," she said.

The recession -- the worst U.S. downturn since the 1930s -- has left some 8 million people like Coleman out of work.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM

10,424 posts, read 46,155,931 times
I read that story today. It's so sad. That lady is not alone. There is little hope this depression will improve anytime soon either. What pizzes me off most is when the media still calls this a recession. And they only report what your govt tells them to report. And we all know what liars they are.

We are not in a recession. The recession ended 2 years ago. We are now in a full fledged DEpression by all neutral non govt opinions. Notice how we are starting to hear the word "double recession" lately? Because they can no longer get away with the R word but can't mention the D word because the mere mention of that D word would send our financial markets into a spiral so out of control that complete economic collapse would be imminent.

I still see a future with just 2 companies standing. Walmart and Bank of America.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I still see a future with just 2 companies standing. Walmart and Bank of America.
And maybe Starbucks.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:53 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,771,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I read that story today. It's so sad. That lady is not alone. There is little hope this depression will improve anytime soon either. What pizzes me off most is when the media still calls this a recession. And they only report what your govt tells them to report. And we all know what liars they are.

We are not in a recession. The recession ended 2 years ago. We are now in a full fledged DEpression by all neutral non govt opinions. Notice how we are starting to hear the word "double recession" lately? Because they can no longer get away with the R word but can't mention the D word because the mere mention of that D word would send our financial markets into a spiral so out of control that complete economic collapse would be imminent.

We are not in a depression. Read up on the Great Depression. Although we may not have bread lines in a 21st century American depression and poeple living in Hoovervilles things will get much worse when we enter a depression. We are still in a very deep recession. As bad as it is for 8 million Americans that leaves over 100 million that are gainfully employed and treading water. I don't doubt things are bad. Seeing and reading what people are going through makes me angry as an American and realizing our incomeptent, inefficient, tyrannical and corrupt government sit back and do nothing or make things worse. Things are going to get worse. Hang on for the ride.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Scary days for many people.

99 Weeks Later, Jobless Have Only Desperation

This is about a woman who has passed the 99 weeks of unemployment benefits and is now essentially homeless, living in a motel paid for with charity from friends. In 2008 she had a good job and was going to business school. Now she's on food stamps and making ramen in a motel ice bucket.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM

13,473 posts, read 23,508,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Scary days for many people.

99 Weeks Later, Jobless Have Only Desperation

This is about a woman who has passed the 99 weeks of unemployment benefits and is now essentially homeless, living in a motel paid for with charity from friends. In 2008 she had a good job and was going to business school. Now she's on food stamps and making ramen in a motel ice bucket.
She's $92,000 in debt @ 49 years old, plus look at her, she is a slob. No wonder she can't get a job.

I make ramen in hotels and I have a full time job, get over it.

People want the easy way out, and the internet, while useful, is no way to get a job in times like these. You need to walk in and show you are serious. Stop wasting your time surfing the internet and pound the pavement.

And that article is a great example of how charity picks up where government stops. If welfare and unemployment were to disappear people would still get help. No need to forcefully take money from others via taxes to do that.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,348,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
She's $92,000 in debt @ 49 years old, plus look at her, she is a slob. No wonder she can't get a job.

I make ramen in hotels and I have a full time job, get over it.

People want the easy way out, and the internet, while useful, is no way to get a job in times like these. You need to walk in and show you are serious. Stop wasting your time surfing the internet and pound the pavement.

And that article is a great example of how charity picks up where government stops. If welfare and unemployment were to disappear people would still get help. No need to forcefully take money from others via taxes to do that.
lol, good luck with the pound the pavement route, Statistics show that your chance of getting a job that way is 1 percent. Best chance of getting a job in the modern era is going directly to the companies website. Forget about the old school way, Its not an accepted way to get a job in the modern world.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,141,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
lol, good luck with the pound the pavement route, Statistics show that your chance of getting a job that way is 1 percent. Best chance of getting a job in the modern era is going directly to the companies website. Forget about the old school way, Its not an accepted way to get a job in the modern world.
Exactly

Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM

13,753 posts, read 19,895,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Exactly
No. Not exacly, not even close. And of course you do realize you are agreeing with a person that has been unemployed long term, which I add not for the purposes of ridicule, but to comment on the quality of the advised response on the way to find a job.

The best way to get a job is to network - inner connections, know your industry, know who is in it, know who to contact, etc. Best way to get a job actually starts with getting a skill that is in demand.

I think the above classifies, in a rough fashion, as "pounding the pavement". It means this - you won't probably won't get a job by sitting on your @ss at home emailing resumes to a companies website. You have to work at it.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:06 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,348,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No. Not exacly, not even close. And of course you do realize you are agreeing with a person that has been unemployed long term, which I add not for the purposes of ridicule, but to comment on the quality of the advised response on the way to find a job.

The best way to get a job is to network - inner connections, know your industry, know who is in it, know who to contact, etc. Best way to get a job actually starts with getting a skill that is in demand.

I think the above classifies, in a rough fashion, as "pounding the pavement". It means this - you won't probably won't get a job by sitting on your @ss at home emailing resumes to a companies website. You have to work at it.

lol, Yea welcome to Michigan and the US of A's great economy! You do realize long term unemployment is quite normal today? You somehow act like it isn't.

What do you think everyone does? As the only thing I stated that didn't work is going out and showing up at the business. (or pounding the pavement old school) And yes having a network would be nice but if you dont have one write it off the list, I dont buy the notion that going out and meeting people that you dont know is going to help you at all, why should it, they dont know who the heck you are.

So yes Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or