Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM

46 posts, read 117,381 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how temping works with your UE benefits. If I worked 3 temp jobs in a week and it did not equal my UE amount - do I get the balance. Do I stop getting UE if I Temp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPISANI View Post
Does anyone know how temping works with your UE benefits. If I worked 3 temp jobs in a week and it did not equal my UE amount - do I get the balance. Do I stop getting UE if I Temp?
The formula for each state varies, but generally you would receive at least the difference in UEC. If your earnings exceed your UEC, as a rule no benefit would be payable.

What state are you in? Check out the website for your state DOL. Most likely you will find your answer.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 AM

46 posts, read 117,381 times
I am confused by what the web site is saying - does anyone know for New Jersey how working Temp jobs could impact your unemployment?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 AM

616 posts, read 1,750,798 times
It may differ from state to state, however, here in NC you have a "weekly earnings allowance". This is the amount you can earn (gross) per week before your weekly benefit is reduced. For example, my weekly earnings allowance is $113.17. If I earn $100 (and remember you should report it) then my weekly benefit will not be reduced. If I earn $200, then my weekly benefit will be reduced by the difference between $200 and $113.17, which equals $86.83 (I hope my math is correct!) And if I earn $1000 (ha!) then I would not receive my weekly benefit of $505 at all.

You have to report gross, not net, and it must be what you earned that week, even if you don't get paid until the next week.

The good thing about this is, it "stretches out" your benefits. Another example, I had a part-time temp job last Nov, Dec, Jan. I had only 14 weeks worth of benefits, but because I reported my earnings I stretched out those unemployment benefits through about 28 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,972,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The formula for each state varies, but generally you would receive at least the difference in UEC. If your earnings exceed your UEC, as a rule no benefit would be payable.

What state are you in? Check out the website for your state DOL. Most likely you will find your answer.
From the NJ DOL website, here is the formula used to apply your part-time income toward your UI benefit payment:
Quote:
Whether you are working less than full-time or part-time, you must report your weekly gross wages (including tips) when you claim your benefits. Please note that even if pre-existing part-time employment is not used to calculate your monetary, you must declare all earnings for each week of benefits that you claim. Wages must be reported for the week in which they are earned, not when they are paid.

The wages you report will be subtracted from your Partial Benefit Rate. The Partial Benefit Rate is 20% higher than your weekly benefit rate. You cannot be paid more than your weekly benefit rate.

For example, if your weekly benefit rate is $200, your Partial Benefit Rate is $240 (20% higher than $200). If you earn $50 during a week, you would receive $190 in unemployment benefits ($240 - $50 = $190).
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment <br> Report Part-Time Earnings

Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 PM

229 posts, read 573,686 times
I worked at a temp position for the county last year (they wanted to hire me but then there was a hiring freeze). Anyway, they deducted a certain amount as abcornwell stated, and gave me the difference. I think it was $100 or so. What it did was extend my eligiblity for UI, so it was a very good thing. Just keep in mind that you have to report when you work, because your employer certainly does.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:19 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,583 times
Has anyone cleared up if the rule remains the same on temping/part-time work on the effects at your Benefit Year End?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Has anyone cleared up if the rule remains the same on temping/part-time work on the effects at your Benefit Year End?
Been changed so you are not penalized. HR4213. Read Section 3.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...213enr.txt.pdf

More discussion on this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...st-extend.html

Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,754 times
Hello,
I was on an FED extention and then got a temp job for six weeks and i did report my wages to unemployment and they stopped my benefits due to the program ended and then they told me to file a new claim and i haven't recieved any mails from them .Can someone advise please.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Some of you need to be aware when you take a temp job the temp agencies are known for trying to fight unemployment benefits when you try and get back on unemployment.

It is a Catch 22, someone wants to get off UE and work, then they take a temp job which ends after 3 months. They file again and the temp agency will say they were let go for performance reasons or have turned down other assignments.

Now some savvy UE employees are aware of how these temp agencies operate but others aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment