Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:51 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times

Advertisements

for example, i lied on my resume and got my current job, and i know the background check is by arguably one of the better services out there.

i lied and said i was at a job 5 years when i wasn't there at all. i made up a company name and location, and in my interview i stated they closed in 07 and i was laid off.

i have a "reference" from the company who they called who pretended to be my supervisor there.

what i want to know is did i just get lucky with a lax background check? is it possible for them to find out everywhere ive been, regardless if i have it on my resume?

im not looking for work, but i am trying to help out a temp at the place im at.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM

228 posts, read 507,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
for example, i lied on my resume and got my current job, and i know the background check is by arguably one of the better services out there.

i lied and said i was at a job 5 years when i wasn't there at all. i made up a company name and location, and in my interview i stated they closed in 07 and i was laid off.

i have a "reference" from the company who they called who pretended to be my supervisor there.

what i want to know is did i just get lucky with a lax background check? is it possible for them to find out everywhere ive been, regardless if i have it on my resume?

im not looking for work, but i am trying to help out a temp at the place im at.

thanks.
I'd say you're lucky, though lying about a job you never had was not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to put you down but because jobs are scarce, I would think background checks would be more thorough because of added security clearance. They can possibly find out if they looked at your tax history and such. Also Google makes things a LOT easier to find.

I guess if you had someone in on it, if the person was contacted and "verified" that you worked there then they most likely take it at face-value. But there's always the possibility your employer would find out.

My friend once told me to never lie on your resume unless you can back it up in your interview.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:46 PM

118 posts, read 534,375 times
Your actual employment history is not available to potential employers in any kind of background check. The IRS will not share your tax history, even with another government agency.

Background checks mostly consist of citizenship/SSN check, criminal record, driving record (probably only if the job requires driving for the company) and maybe credit history and education or licensing checks.

Of course, if you totally made the company up out of thin air, that could be discovered, but a potential employer wouldn't waste their time looking into it unless they suspected you of lying in the first place.

I assume you did this to fill a gap in your employment history, in which case I think it's understandable and even a legitimate thing to do in my opinion since the whole concept of not hiring someone just because they have a gap is utterly ridiculous. Hopefully you didn't invent entirely new job skills through this imaginary job, though, and would have been qualified even without it.

...word is bondage...

Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
same skill set. just added length.

i said at my interview that they closed in 07 and i got laid off because of that when in actuality i quit.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 70,912 times
If you got hired you probably pass and they wont look into it further. I dont think the background checks look at employment history. The main check is when they call the job to verify the employment. Although you probably could have just listed them as closed and gave no number just listing the dates.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM

436 posts, read 907,754 times
In this information age, they can find out anything and use it as a reason not to hire you, so a perfectly clean record goes along way, in this economy they are looking for reasons not to hire.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 AM

28 posts, read 129,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Fish View Post
Your actual employment history is not available to potential employers in any kind of background check. The IRS will not share your tax history, even with another government agency.

Background checks mostly consist of citizenship/SSN check, criminal record, driving record (probably only if the job requires driving for the company) and maybe credit history and education or licensing checks.

Of course, if you totally made the company up out of thin air, that could be discovered, but a potential employer wouldn't waste their time looking into it unless they suspected you of lying in the first place.

I assume you did this to fill a gap in your employment history, in which case I think it's understandable and even a legitimate thing to do in my opinion since the whole concept of not hiring someone just because they have a gap is utterly ridiculous. Hopefully you didn't invent entirely new job skills through this imaginary job, though, and would have been qualified even without it.

...word is bondage...
The IRS will not share your tax history, even with another government agency.

The IRS gives the Social Security Administration a worker's data. I do not know which data, but enough for SSA to determine your Retirement or Disability benefit amount.

Also, I owe the U.S. Department Of Education money on a consolidated student loan [William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program]. The last time I moved, from NY to TX, I did not inform the Dept Of Educ of my new address--yet it found me. I suspect the IRS gave them my address after my new employer paid my quarterly taxes.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:26 PM

49 posts, read 352,842 times
Not meaning to scare you, just a heads up. I think that public data about you and your past is limited as to details and timeframe. HOWEVER, a few years back a store manager with a major grocery chain told me that retailers have a " private " ( fee based ) data base that they all pool into from which they can retrieve data about individuals, applicants, etc. Sounds like it is vast pool of info and there probably isn't any detail or timeframe limitations. So, be careful just in case.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:52 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
I'd say you're lucky, though lying about a job you never had was not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to put you down but because jobs are scarce, I would think background checks would be more thorough because of added security clearance. They can possibly find out if they looked at your tax history and such. Also Google makes things a LOT easier to find.
If they catch you lying, what's the worst thing that could happen to you? You won't get the job? If you don't lie you might not get the job anyway, so what do you have to lose?

Businesses are so dishonest and unethical today, especially when it comes to their hiring practices, that it's hard to feel badly about lying today.

Quote:
I guess if you had someone in on it, if the person was contacted and "verified" that you worked there then they most likely take it at face-value. But there's always the possibility your employer would find out.

My friend once told me to never lie on your resume unless you can back it up in your interview.
As long as you can back it up through talk, you might be able to get away with it.

Has anyone heard of any stories of anyone going to jail for lying on a resume? Has anyone heard of any stories of anyone being sued over it?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCA123 View Post
Not meaning to scare you, just a heads up. I think that public data about you and your past is limited as to details and timeframe. HOWEVER, a few years back a store manager with a major grocery chain told me that retailers have a " private " ( fee based ) data base that they all pool into from which they can retrieve data about individuals, applicants, etc. Sounds like it is vast pool of info and there probably isn't any detail or timeframe limitations. So, be careful just in case.
I've wondered about this. Will we eventually see databases where people can be blackballed and whatnot? It sounds like a litigation bonanza in the making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment