Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM

107 posts, read 288,888 times

Advertisements

I understand the dol wouldn't care about the type of wage and wouldn't contact them to verify it but would the amount I'm reporting for that week be a cause for concern on their behalf and classify me as self employed? As you said I'm just going to put in the remarks box that it was a short contract job and nothing more than that. The reason I am fretting is that some states will not let you collect unemployment if you are classified as self employed. I am far from self employed. Im just nervous that a large amount like that 2k would be high enough for someone to classify it as a potential self employment issue.

Last edited by Tristateelectrician; 08-08-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristateelectrician View Post
I understand the dol wouldn't care about the type of wage and wouldn't contact them to verify it but would the amount I'm reporting for that week be a cause for concern on their behalf and classify me as self employed? As you said I'm just going to put in the remarks box that it was a short contract job and nothing more than that. The reason I am fretting is that some states will not let you collect unemployment if you are classified as self employed. I am far from self employed. Im just nervous that a large amount like that 2k would be high enough for someone to classify it as a potential self employment issue.
I understand your concern. But frankly the amount is not going to raise any red flags in NJ.

The focus will be on the number of hours you worked (which you indicate on the form) and the number of weeks in which you worked those hours. If you get to the point where your weekly hours are approaching those of a full-time job, that would raise a flag -- but not the amount alone when counterbalanced by the weekly hours.

Of course, if you continue to be concerned, by all means contact your local UI office for clarification.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
As long as you got paid the full 2k that week it should only effect that week. Just dont claim that one week and your good to go.
Quote:
I would highly suggest you call them to know exactly what your options are. I found info on 1099 work was very lacking. I also found the books lacking in giving you all your available options.
Every state considers it a problem in their books to not report earnings because they just are not very clear in this regard. That's why I called.

Also for reference other states with the same issues....

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...l#post13809064
Since the OP is a claimant in NJ, it seems unlikely that options available in other states -- particular North Carolina, which is the state forum where the link cited above leads -- would resolve his question which is specific to his state, NJ.

Last edited by diorgirl; 08-08-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 07:47 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Since the OP is a claimant in NJ, it seems unlikely that options available in other states -- particular North Carolina, which is the state forum where the link cited above leads -- would resolve his question which is specific to his state, NJ.
Believe what you want, 1099 work is similar in all states and having dealt with it myself he would do himself a big favor by calling them as the UI books do not explain it in detail and in fact state wrong information in them I have found.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
I understand your concern. But frankly the amount is not going to raise any red flags in NJ.

The focus will be on the number of hours you worked (which you indicate on the form) and the number of weeks in which you worked those hours. If you get to the point where your weekly hours are approaching those of a full-time job, that would raise a flag -- but not the amount alone when counterbalanced by the weekly hours.

Of course, if you continue to be concerned, by all means contact your local UI office for clarification.
noted

i just read hours worth of horrible stories from people that did contract/1099 work in NY and CA and had their benefits put on hold because they became classified as self employed. I dont want to fall into that category at all. Im tetering on the verge of financial ruin and one week missed will open the flood gates

Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
noted

i just read hours worth of horrible stories from people that did contract/1099 work in NY and CA and had their benefits put on hold because they became classified as self employed. I dont want to fall into that category at all. Im tetering on the verge of financial ruin and one week missed will open the flood gates
I understand -- but NJ is different from NY and CA, or even Michigan or North Carolina! LOL!

In addition, if you look more closely at the "horror stories," you will see that most of those people had a relatively consistent number of hours each week over an extended period of weeks -- which does trigger a flag in any UI system.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM

So I will be fine with just filling the hours worked and gross earnings box and checking off part time work but do not check off that I'm commision based or self employed? That's the main part.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,977 times
As I stated in this thread before, It is not stated in detail anywhere and your site reads the same as the Michigan site for the most part. Big surprise. This is as close as it gets when reporting wages and it isn't clear at all when dealing with 1099 work. CALL, How much you want to bet you get the same answer I received when I called.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment <br> Report Part-Time Earnings

Also somewhat clear but I would still call!

"all earnings for each week of benefits that YOU claim"

Interesting, If you dont claim this seems to say that you dont have to report it. But like I said above I would call to get a confirmation on this. And yes this is how it is in almost all states, can you believe it.

Also making 2k would not be considered part time! lol. And the reason why you would not claim that week.

Last edited by OHGreat; 08-08-2010 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
So I will be fine with just filling the hours worked and gross earnings box and checking off part time work but do not check off that I'm commision based or self employed? That's the main part.
That's correct!

To question #5 on the blue form (or the online form) -- Did you perform any commission or self-employment work, or were you entitled to holiday or vacation pay? -- you would answer "No." Because you did not perform that sort of work nor were you entitled to any holiday or vacation pay. You worked part-time -- correct?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Also making 2k would not be considered part time! lol. And the reason why you would not claim that week.
Just FYI, "part-time" is a determination made by UI based on hours worked, not on wages earned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment