Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristateelectrician View Post
in NJ if two of your weeks end with you making more than your weekly benefit rate and have checked off fulltime for both weeks, then your claim is closed or not claiming for two weeks straight closes your claim. Being that my one week will have wages higher than my WBR, i will not receive compensation for that week. I will however receive compensation for the second week.
Correct! No worries! Thanks for confirming that this is the situation in NJ!

I'm delighted that you will not have to go through the hassle of having to reopen a closed claim -- as you reportedly would have in Michigan.

Last edited by diorgirl; 08-09-2010 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,243 times
Quote:
in NJ if two of your weeks end with you making more than your weekly benefit rate and have checked off fulltime for both weeks, then your claim is closed or not claiming for two weeks straight closes your claim. Being that my one week will have wages higher than my WBR, i will not receive compensation for that week. I will however receive compensation for the second week.
Boy its amazing how it seems to be similar for all states! lol Yes thanks for setting many here straight.
I do find it crazy that you can not choose to claim whatever week you want probably without calling them.

Yes good thing he didnt do 1099 work for 2 weeks or man he would have had to do it like Michigan and all other states LOL!

Last edited by OHGreat; 08-09-2010 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Boy its amazing how it seems to be similar for all states! lol Yes thanks for setting many here straight.
I do find it crazy that you can not choose to claim whatever week you want probably without calling them.

Yes good thing he didnt do 1099 work for 2 weeks or man he would have had to do it like Michigan and all other states LOL!
No, unlike Michigan, the OP has said that if he did 1099 work for two or more weeks in NJ his claim could be closed -- only (1) if he checked "fulltime" for both weeks or (2) if he failed to file a claim for both weeks.

Since he always intended to file a claim with the 1099 earnings -- and since he was never going to check "fulltime" on the form -- he will not have his claim closed in New Jersey.

Quote:

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 AM

107 posts, read 288,850 times
I've collected part time unemployment a few years ago and that was the case. If I worked 40 hours one week and 20 hours the next my claim was still open. However if I claimed two weeks where I worked both weeks and made more than my wbr I obviously did not get any compensation and as long as my hours were under 32 hours a week my claim stayed open. But once both weeks went over that mark my claim was closed and I would have to replenish the claim once my hours and earnings were below full-time and under my WBR

Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Listen my claim if it were reported every week and I worked a full-time shift my claim would be closed. But being that I do it bi weekly it stays open because my second week has no earnings. It was a one day job.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM

Actually just stoped into my local unemployment office. They said to report the hours worked and money earned. I would only check self employed if I were actually self employed and operated my own business. As long as I don't start a business while I'm unemployed I'm fine. I should claim the wages earned the same way everyone else claims it.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Actually just stoped into my local unemployment office. They said to report the hours worked and money earned. I would only check self employed if I were actually self employed and operated my own business. As long as I don't start a business while I'm unemployed I'm fine. I should claim the wages earned the same way everyone else claims it.
Good to hear you went in and got it from the NJ DOL's mouth.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Now listen depending on whatever agent you get you could get several different answers. But I made sure to tell them that I am not self employed and the lady said just report hours and wages and company information that paid me.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Now listen depending on whatever agent you get you could get several different answers. But I made sure to tell them that I am not self employed and the lady said just report hours and wages and company information that paid me.
lol, I agree, I have seen some stories on here about other states agents. I am spoiled here in Michigan, every agent I have talked to seems to know their stuff. Also on a side note I could have done the exact same thing they told you to do in Michigan as well so I really believe there is more then one way to do some things as well.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 AM

when you do it in michigan you just dont claim that week right? or do you report it as self employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment