U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:20 PM

107 posts, read 281,401 times

Advertisements

I am fully aware of being able to collect partial unemployment. Just last week I received an offer to do some contract work. It was one day of work and I made a profit off the job of 2000 dollars (fiber optic installation). Will that 2k only effect that week or will that effect me for the whole month. Meaning Will it offset me for more than just that week?

Also being that I'm going to be 1099ed on this, how do I report it on the claim form online. I'm not a regular employee, would this be self employment income? Or would I just fill out the hours I worked and money I made along with the employers address. I asked the company how this works and they have no idea either. Do they get contacted by the Department of Labor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,527,656 times
As long as you got paid the full 2k that week it should only effect that week. Just dont claim that one week and your good to go.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Hopefully you mean claim the wages earned that week. Lol. Also being that it's freelance work how is it reported? Self employed? Under hours and wages and company that hired me, their info? It's definitely 1099. Can I expect to have to verify that I'm a 1099 worker and not self employed? I know some states make you fill out a questionnaire. Will the company I did the contract work for be contacted. Or is my wage and earnings reporting sufficient.

What I'm getting at is, is their going to be any gap in continuing my benefits due to verification stuff. I'm living check to check and any delay will be disastrous right now.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Yes, I did 1099 work for a whole 3 weeks in Michigan. There was no need to report it. I just didn't claim those 3 weeks of Unemployment. Although after not claiming those 3 weeks I had to end up calling them to reopen my claim again. I guess different states may have some different rules on the reporting thing but it seems to me that you would just not claim that one week that you made 2k and that would be the end of it.
There was no delay for me but Michigan does seem to be on the ball when it comes to this kind of thing in general. Probably because we have been the worst unemployment state for 9 years straight though. That finally came to an end with Nevada taking the top spot in just the last few months.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:17 PM

See in nj we claim every two weeks so I can't skip the week. I have to report the hours I worked and gross amount. I'm just a bit worried that the 2k amount might set off flags and consider me self employed when in fact I'm not. I know several NY members on here that were questioned by NYDOL and sent self employment questionnaires. I will just report it as hours worked and paid as well as the companies contact information.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,635,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristateelectrician View Post
Hopefully you mean claim the wages earned that week. Lol. Also being that it's freelance work how is it reported? Self employed? Under hours and wages and company that hired me, their info? It's definitely 1099. Can I expect to have to verify that I'm a 1099 worker and not self employed? I know some states make you fill out a questionnaire. Will the company I did the contract work for be contacted. Or is my wage and earnings reporting sufficient.

What I'm getting at is, is their going to be any gap in continuing my benefits due to verification stuff. I'm living check to check and any delay will be disastrous right now.
I see from the name of this thread that you are located in New Jersey. In NJ you must report all your earnings while on UI -- regardless of whether they are 1099 or W-2. Failure to do so -- and to simply skip reporting for one or more weeks -- will raise a "red flag" on your claim and may cause your claim to be closed. It can be a hassle to try to reopen a claim after a brief break.

NJ UI will not verify the nature of your earnings until you reach the one year anniversary of your claim. At that time, UI will review your account to see if you have earned any credits toward a new claim. When you are paid via 1099, your employer makes no contribution to the UI fund, so you will have no credits toward a new claim.

Bottom line: The only effect 1099 earnings will have on your unemployment benefits will be to reduce your weekly benefit according to the NJ UI formula for how earnings offset UI benefits. As long as you continue to file as scheduled, there will be no gap in your UI benefits.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Diorgirl, thank you. I am currently on tier II. I just didn know how to report it under. Make no mistake I am claiming it regardless of it being a 1099 pay. I know of people that get 1099ed and still collect and don't report it. I do not play with fire, I have way to much to lose. So that being said I should have no issues when I go to claim.

When I posted asking if they verify, I meant do the NJdOL contact the company I did the freelance work for to verify my information? I'm just trying to figure out if a 1099 payout should be reported as self employment or under just regular wage and hours section. I am not an employee so I don't want the NJDOL to classify me as employed. It was a one time thing.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
See in nj we claim every two weeks so I can't skip the week. I have to report the hours I worked and gross amount. I'm just a bit worried that the 2k amount might set off flags and consider me self employed when in fact I'm not. I know several NY members on here that were questioned by NYDOL and sent self employment questionnaires. I will just report it as hours worked and paid as well as the companies contact information.
Yes, ours is every 2 weeks as well but I can choose not to claim one of the weeks if I choose. I take it you dont have this option when certifying? Thus they figure I made money that week or just decided not to claim (this was straight from a call with them as well). Did not cause any problems and I have seen the same things said for other states. There is a 1099 thread if you do a search of the forum. I believe all states say that you have to report earnings but I really believe that is only if you claim that specific week of unemployment. To me claiming 2k in one week would be more of a red flag then not claiming a week of unemployment. If you can get through I would also suggest calling them, They explained what exactly I could do and how to handle things also suggesting I just dont claim said weeks.

Last edited by OHGreat; 08-08-2010 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,635,033 times
Quote:
Diorgirl, thank you. I am currently on tier II. I just didn know how to report it under. Make no mistake I am claiming it regardless of it being a 1099 pay. I know of people that get 1099ed and still collect and don't report it. I do not play with fire, I have way to much to lose. So that being said I should have no issues when I go to claim.

When I posted asking if they verify, I meant do the NJdOL contact the company I did the freelance work for to verify my information? I'm just trying to figure out if a 1099 payout should be reported as self employment or under just regular wage and hours section. I am not an employee so I don't want the NJDOL to classify me as employed. It was a one time thing.
You are right to report the earnings -- unlike Michigan (the only other example provided in this thread) -- NJ does consider it a problem to fail to report earnings and simply skip filing for a week or two or three.

NJ UI does not contact the employer to verify the type of wage when you are filing
because it does not affect your account -- or eligibility for benefits -- at that time.

Just report the employer name and contact info -- and enter the wages and hours in the regular section. I believe on the NJ form that it's Section C, questions 2-4 (question 1 is for return to full-time work, so you would skip that). In the "Remarks" box in that section, you can explain that it was just a one-day assignment (the form suggests that box be used to describe "reason for payment").

BTW, all of the information I am providing you is contained in the little blue booklet you received when you initially filed your claim for regular benefits in NJ.

Last edited by diorgirl; 08-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Reference

Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 PM

I would highly suggest you call them to know exactly what your options are. I found info on 1099 work was very lacking. I also found the books lacking in giving you all your available options.
Every state considers it a problem in their books to not report earnings because they just are not very clear in this regard. That's why I called.

Also for reference other states with the same issues....

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...l#post13809064

Last edited by OHGreat; 08-08-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment