Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 28,910 times

Advertisements

I've searched and don't think this was asked, and I would really appreciate any input anyone can give me.

Quick facts-

I was employed by the US census from 4/21/10- 8/7/10. Filed my claim 8/8.
I made $7,368.43.

My claim was denied because they said I didn't make over $7,300 which I did. It appears they didn't count my last check when they determined the amount.

Am I missing something? According to what I read in the book you either have to have the 20 weeks in or make above 7,300.

I'm really baffled by this and why it was denied.

I have a telephone interview with the appeals person on Friday morning and was thought maybe I could get a little input before then.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 PM

140 posts, read 610,692 times
Typically, a claim is based on a base period which is the first four of the last 5 quarters. It makes sense that they didn't include your last paycheck as that would have been in the last quarter before you filed.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM

So, does that mean I won't be able to collect?

BTW, thanks for answering.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,236,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catki86226 View Post
So, does that mean I won't be able to collect?

BTW, thanks for answering.
At the moment, you cannot collect.

Had you waited to file until October 1, all your earnings for the quarter ending September 30 would have been considered. I have read of people delaying filing for that reason in order to qualify and/or get a higher benefit. Obviously they are well versed in how the system calculates benefits and file accordingly.

I am wondering if you can reapply in October. It's worth a shot. Perhaps someone here knows if you can do this so soon after being denied.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 PM

That's a thought that I'll look into. Thank you!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,621,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
At the moment, you cannot collect.

Had you waited to file until October 1, all your earnings for the quarter ending September 30 would have been considered. I have read of people delaying filing for that reason in order to qualify and/or get a higher benefit. Obviously they are well versed in how the system calculates benefits and file accordingly.

I am wondering if you can reapply in October. It's worth a shot. Perhaps someone here knows if you can do this so soon after being denied.
Yes you can reapply and open a new claim.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM

140 posts, read 610,692 times
You might have to cancel this claim within 30 days of denial in order to make a new claim in October. I don't know the laws in NJ, but that's the way it is in California- if you're denied and you don't cancel, you can't open another claim for 52 weeks. I suggest you research that before it's too late. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Well, I had my appeal interview on Friday. Of course, they don't tell you their decision. She told me that my last week wasn't included because I hadn't received it before I filed my claim. I told her that's what I was told to do at the unemployment office. That made no sense to me especially since that's what the book tells you to do.

She said it could go either of two ways- my claim could be valid or it could be denied and a recommendation sent to the unemployment office that I can re-file.

Thanks for all the input! I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Just an update-

I had my appeal trial and received a letter on Friday and the tribunal found that my claim was valid.

So, if you are considering appealing sometimes it does work.

Thanks for all of your input, it certainly was helpful! I just wanted to let you all know the status so far.

Thanks again Chelebelle, Ariadne22 and JobZombie!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,236,996 times
Thanks for letting us know. That is good news. And a speedy decision. Apparently it wasn't too hard for them. Yea!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment