Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 PM

379 posts, read 1,398,847 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for reading. So I am starting a new UI extension here in CA but I think the EDD messed up with the tier. Before I go on further, I should give a little back story about all of this...

I first filed for UI in March of 2009. From March 2009 to March 2010 I worked part time and reported my wages accordingly. By March 2010 I was on a Tier 1 extension from my March 2009 claim and as that original benefit period ended, I had around $800 left over on my claim that EDD did not pay me. In the beginning of March 2010, I filed my last claim form from the March 2009 claim and I received nothing as EDD probably determined that my original claim period ended in March of 2010.

After a lot of running around and dealing with EDD, the best thing that was determined for me (by EDD) to do was file a new claim. I filed my new claim in April 2010 and EDD backdated it to begin immediately after my March 2009 claim ended, giving me a new claim starting March 2010. I must also add that congress was in the middle of passing legislation to extend benefits to May 30, 2010. Regardless of that, I was on an entirely new claim beginning a new 26 weeks but receiving reduced benefits because the benefit period covered reflected less income on my end.

Now, two weeks ago my initial 26 weeks ended and I now should be on the 20 week tier 1 extension. However, that may not be the case. I called the automated phone number that EDD here in California provides to check the status of my check and was surprised that I am now receiving more money than when I was on my 26 week period. The amount that the automated system says that I was paid during this first pay period on my extension is the same amount that I was receiving during my March 2009 claim. I then checked the stub that came with the claim form for this extension and the date shown on the stub says that my claim expires in March 2010 instead of March 2011 like it has shown during the 26 weeks that I have already been receiving benefits.

I should be receiving my first check on this extension tomorrow but I have no idea of what to make of this at the moment. Could EDD have just messed up somewhere and decided to give me more money? (I will more than welcome this unexpected surprise ) Or could EDD have filed my this round of extension based on my March 2009 claim and in doing so, what tier am I really on at the moment? And what tier should I expect to be in right now?

Anyway, my apologies for the long post but it was necessary to give as much detail as possible. Thanks for any answers.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 PM

40 posts, read 193,137 times
If you start a new claim while on a extension, when the new claims ends you automatically get put back on your old extension.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrob View Post
If you start a new claim while on a extension, when the new claims ends you automatically get put back on you old extension.
According to EDD my March 2009 claim along with the extension ended March 2010, which is why they didn't pay me the remainder of my tier 1 extension and why I had to start a new claim. So at this point it appears that I'm going back to my old extension, not what I was expecting... And if I'm going back to my old extension, what happens when that runs out?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM

40 posts, read 193,137 times
If you still working your part time job you might be able to file a new claim after you use up all your tiers. Hopefully congress keeps funding the extension after November.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrob View Post
If you still working your part time job you might be able to file a new claim after you use up all your tiers. Hopefully congress keeps funding the extension after November.

It's a rather complicated situation but I am no longer working my part time job. Unfortunately, UI is my only source of income at the moment.

My old extension had approximately $800 left and should be paid to me in full before the end of October assuming that I'm going back to my old tier 1 extension. Since the current extensions go until November 30, what do you think I can expect once I get paid in full? Will I go right into tier 2 from my March 2009 claim or will I start a new tier 1 extension from my March 2010 claim?

And yes, I do hope congress votes to further the extensions for all of us.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,262,852 times
Antrob is correct. You are automatically put back to your first claim EUC tier benefits after you have exhausted your state benefits under the second claim.

On the extension of EUC, if you exhaust Tier 1 from your first claim on or before November 27th, you will transition to Tier 2 from your first claim until exhausted. If Congress continues to extend EUC beyond Nov. 30th, you will then continue to exhaust all your tier benefits under your first claim.

Believe it or not, you are also eligible for another round of Tier benefits under your second claim, as well, provided Congress continues to extend the EUC program.

This post from another board on CA EDD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbystillonui on 9/7/2010
My husband got a letter from EDD today after finishing Tier 4.
"Notice of Determination for Emergency Unemployment Compensation" states:

Your claim for Emergency Unemployment Compensation extension IS allowed on your regular claim dated 3-15-2009. This is the beginning date of his 2nd claim - also received a separate letter with a claim form for the next 2 weeks #3 on the form is NOT marked with the dreaded "X".

If I am to transalte this correctly, it looks like this is a brand new Tier 1 - this time based on the 2nd claim. So far my husband has received a total of 105 weeks as follows:

03/15/08 claim @ 26 weeks @ $272 per week
03/14/09 claim @ 26 weeks @ $247 per week
1st extension - 20 weeks @ $272 per week (based on 3/08 claim)
2nd extension - 13 + 1 weeks (same as 1st extension)
3rd extension - 13 weeks (same as 2nd extension)
4th extension - (same as 3rd extension)

Fed-Ed did not kick in - instead a new extension is allowed @ $247 per week, now based on the 03/09 claim.

Note: My husband worked in between the 2 claims for a total of 8 months
Hope this is helpful for anyone else in a somewhat same situation.

Re: Fed Ed eligibility in California after multiple original claims
http://unemployed-friends.forumotion.com/post.forum?mode=quote&p=237375

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-30-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. And just as well all expected, I am back on my original tier 1 extension from my March 2009 claim. I expect what money I have left on this tier to be paid in full before the end of the month and then I expect to begin the tier 2 extension by the last week of the month, so long as EDD is on the ball and does now screw up.

Speaking of how much EDD can screw up, well all know how that goes... I guess I can speak for many of us that dealing with EDD is much more trouble than it's worth.... but that's really another topic for another thread.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,594 times
EUC (20wks), EUX (13wks), EUY (1wk), EUZ (6wks) & FEDED (20wks).

EDD WROTE THIS HAVE THE EXTENSIONS CHANGE

TEIR 1
TEIR 2
TEIR 3
TEIR4

Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 10,594 times
DOES THE EDD UI KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING

AND THAT AUTOMATIC BULL... YOU WILL BE LOST IN THE SYSTEM....

THIS IS WHAT THEY WROTE

There was a computer malfunction in your federal extension
can you believe that crap

Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,451 times
Default Extensions Change?

I received the same information from EDD in regards to my extension tiers. Does this mean we not longer get 99 weeks of benefits since it seems that Tier 3 went from 13 weeks to 1 week?

The current tier from EDD conveyed above only give us 86 weeks, not 99.

Any one have any information on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.