U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM
 
379 posts, read 1,367,274 times
Reputation: 407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm on unemployment and I qualified for 16/month foodstamps. Covers my milk.

16/month just to cover milk? That's a lot of milk!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 AM
 
372 posts, read 488,070 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm in CA, and when I lost my job, I qualified for $240 per month in Food Stamps. That was until my unemployment kicked in, and they cut me off. At $1000 in CA, you're ineligible for Food Stamps, because your income is too high. Plus, they overpaid me, I had to pay them back, and now I've come to find out that they issued me Food Stamps, and took them because I hadn't used my EBT card in a year. So now I have to go through an appeal to get my $71 back from them.
Same here. I applied for and received expedited (emergency) SNAP only during those weeks Congress and the Senate allowed the extension of long-term UI benefits to expire. And, in order to qualify, I had to provide (on demand) copies of letters and my final check stubs from my state's DOL proving my benefits had been suspended. Otherwise, I wouldn't
have qualified for food stamps because our total household income would have been too high.

There were some tense moments following my most recent application due to it being mishandled by an obviously overworked (and inexperienced) caseworker, who made a
rather serious accusation that I had "used" food stamp benefits I wasn't entitled to
(despite documented evidence to the contrary). Turns out all he/she had to do was fax
me a simple form authorizing removal of the benefits I didn't use (or ask for, for that matter), which left me in "good standing"...should I ever need to apply for SNAP again.

The experience left me shaken, even though I knew I had done nothing wrong. I know these state agencies have their backs up against the wall, having to deal with millions of hungry and desperate people...in addition to those who are intentionally misusing SNAP. The moral of this story is: Don't ever put yourself in a position where you could be even be suspected of defrauding the government....and regardless of the circumstances.

Last edited by Gerrygal; 02-15-2011 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: Typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 AM
 
723 posts, read 2,121,526 times
Reputation: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
The moral of this story is: Don't ever put yourself in a position where you could be even be suspected of defrauding the government....and regardless of the circumstances.
Seconded.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
 
77 posts, read 165,690 times
Reputation: 111
So here I am getting ready to have an emotion breakdown and one of the girls who was also laid off from where I worked tells me that she already found full-time work that pays her in cash. Unbelievable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 AM
 
1 posts, read 927 times
Reputation: 10
I love when people try to correct others and don't have ask the facts!
1. I receive U which is less that $1000, honestly is less than $300 because I didn't work long enough ( 2 years isn't enough) to qualify for more.
2. Is possible to receive UE while working. If you're working less than full time due to hours being cut they will still send you benefits. There's a spot on the claim for which asked for money made!
3. I'm a hair stylist and majority of the salons don't require a social for working. Most don't want to go through the hassle of have to provide employee insurance while on the clock! 4.The one month that i did receive FS. It was $250 and I dint have any kids I was only 19. I know plenty of People who collect UE and work under the table, it's called hustling, being tired of the struggle. Nobody wants to be broke on UEď
5. You don't know some ones story so don't be insensitive about it you don't know the relationship status .
5. If you can't answer the question wish her luck or shut up. She doesn't need some one giving her a hard time. I'm sure someone in her family or circle or even a strangrr does that already! Thanks!
FS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
She's "working under the table cleaning houses for CASH" - your words my dear - "no scam here"? think again.

Also I call BS - if she's your SIL, presumably she has a husband (your brother) - if he's working, no way her "household" would qualify for food stamps - sorry. Try again. IF she's "a single person" what state is she in that her UE for a month is less than $1000, and no WAY she'd qualify for $250 in FS per month on income of $1000 unless she has minor children.

Also this little sentence of yours is an obvious attempt to paint MOST of the UE with a wide brush. I don't know ANYone that is collecting UE benefits that's working "off the books" - YMMV
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,787 posts, read 2,377,914 times
Reputation: 3589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcljayy View Post
I love when people try to correct others and don't have ask the facts!
1. I receive U which is less that $1000, honestly is less than $300 because I didn't work long enough ( 2 years isn't enough) to qualify for more.
2. Is possible to receive UE while working. If you're working less than full time due to hours being cut they will still send you benefits. There's a spot on the claim for which asked for money made!
3. I'm a hair stylist and majority of the salons don't require a social for working. Most don't want to go through the hassle of have to provide employee insurance while on the clock! 4.The one month that i did receive FS. It was $250 and I dint have any kids I was only 19. I know plenty of People who collect UE and work under the table, it's called hustling, being tired of the struggle. Nobody wants to be broke on UEď
5. You don't know some ones story so don't be insensitive about it you don't know the relationship status .
5. If you can't answer the question wish her luck or shut up. She doesn't need some one giving her a hard time. I'm sure someone in her family or circle or even a strangrr does that already! Thanks!
FS
I merely wanted to point out that the number which comes after 5, is 6. Unless you are from the 90's punk rock band "The Offspring" in which case you did it correct. Two fives, followed by a six. I think you're supposed to say it in Spanish though, "Uno, Dos, Tres, Cuatro, Cinco, Cinco, Seis!"

Okay, now that you've got me started, I feel like in #4 you're defending people who are collecting unemployment or food stamps, while working "under the table" as if nothing is wrong with this; however, it turns out that there is. Not only is it just illegal, but it's also morally wrong and people who do this are complete a--hats. I realize the $1000 a month someone collecting from UI a drop in the ocean of the 17 trillion dollars of debt our nation has, but it's the thousands of dishonest people doing that that ruin the image of collecting unemployment insurance for everyone and stress the program beyond its limits. Meanwhile taxes go up for people who you know, have jobs and are capable of paying their own way through life, so they can support extensions to these programs, partially for the people who are ruining it.

I'm not against UI or FS benefits. I think they're great. If I am ever in the position where I need to collect them I'll be grateful. However one must be honest about all income received and make a good faith effort to become sustainable from government aid, unless clinically unable to do so because of disability. If not being able to count to 6 or spell "stranger" prevents you from getting a job that pays more than minimum wage that is not a clinical disability, that's... you probably skipped your junior high and high school years to go get high in your buddy's basement, and few are going to take pity on that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM
 
1 posts, read 455 times
Reputation: 10
Question if a person is unemployed and can't find work. Applied to go to school but, the government won't give you unemployment cause in my state a place can fire you or lay you off for what ever the deem so fit.And they give you food stamps which is 185.00 a month.With the fact of being homeless. What are you to do.When Jobs stereotype and programs that say they help need proof of address and the address isn't yours. What do you do as a single person trying to get back on there feet. Oh , and not to mention the fact of being sick because, you worked the B.P. oil spill.Law suits and settlements can take forever. WHAT DO YOU DO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM
 
12,186 posts, read 18,115,635 times
Reputation: 19108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Dboscott View Post
Question if a person is unemployed and can't find work. Applied to go to school but, the government won't give you unemployment cause in my state a place can fire you or lay you off for what ever the deem so fit.
That is not true!

An employer can lay you off for whatever reason and can terminate you for whatever reason, but that does not mean you can not collect unemployment. If you quit without just cause, or were fired for misconduct, that and only that will cause you to be denied benefits. So, you had to have quit or been fired for misconduct, ( or maybe you let yourself be screwed over because had no idea how unemployment works so they took advantage of you). Which is the real reasons?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Midcoast Maine
729 posts, read 1,620,082 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I was told that most people who are collecting unemployment will try to get some off the books income to supplement their earnings. She put up signs all over the place advertising she would clean people's homes and got some phone calls and now that she has done a good job some referrals. Cash only no one would know.
How stupid can anyone be to even think this is okay just because they think "everyone does it?" It not only is dumb, but illegal.

What she is doing is called FRAUD. It is illegal to work off the books, whether on Unemployment or not, but when you are doing it while collecting Unemployment, you are defrauding the government and can incur severe penalties.

People can be charged with Unemployment fraud for a number of reasons. If you misreport your income, lie on your application, or fail to look for a job when you say you are looking - any of those things can land a person in hot water! But working off the books while collecting is probably the worst.

If found guilty of Unemployment fraud, there could be criminal charges, with penalties (even jail time!), and that means a criminal record which won't help you finding a job after that! In addition, the person found guilty of committing fraud is usually made to pay all those benefits back. They will also be disallowed from collecting UI in the future.

It's simply not worth the risk to collect and work off the books at the same time! Besides, it's not fair for everyone else who plays by the rules. And I would say that MOST people on UI do not work off the books while doing it. I think it was much more prevalent to do that 20 years ago, but not anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM
 
123 posts, read 125,783 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Dboscott View Post
Question if a person is unemployed and can't find work. Applied to go to school but, the government won't give you unemployment cause in my state a place can fire you or lay you off for what ever the deem so fit.And they give you food stamps which is 185.00 a month.With the fact of being homeless. What are you to do.When Jobs stereotype and programs that say they help need proof of address and the address isn't yours. What do you do as a single person trying to get back on there feet. Oh , and not to mention the fact of being sick because, you worked the B.P. oil spill.Law suits and settlements can take forever. WHAT DO YOU DO.

I was in that situation a few years ago after being fired and was ineligible for unemployment. Luckily I had a applied for a credit card 3 months before getting fired and was able to live off of that until I was offered a job.

In your case I would say your options would be borrow from family, go to a temp agency which can be a quick way to get some income. Or try to sell things on ebay or craiglist for some extra cash. But the first thing I would do is sign up with temp agencies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top