Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 18,328 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone may have some insight on this. Details--
- Lived in NJ for 8 Years
- Laid off from a good job 3 months ago (was employed at the company for 3 YRS)
-Moving to FLA in a few weeks
-Still unemployed

I am aware that I have to notify the state of NJ.

Question 1- Will I still be collecting NJ unemployment? or Florida? NJ UE is 600 weekly. I heard FLA is 300 or so.

You can see my dilemma.

Question 2- If I do not notify and keep collecting (assuming I have to switch to FLA rates), how would they ever know?? And if I did get caught what would happen?? This is all assuming I would have to switch to FLA.

Having UE cut in half would be a big deal. Especially since I worked in NJ. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, just so everyone knows- i am not some scum bag trying to scam the system. I work hard and am actively looking. THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLO17 View Post
Question 1- Will I still be collecting NJ unemployment?
You collect regular unemployment benefits and Tiers I, II, III, and IV, based on where you worked, not where you live. (EB is subject to a reciprocity rule: NJ pays only two weeks of EB to non-residents, unless your state of residence also offers full EB.)

Your weekly benefit amount will remain the same -- as calculated for your regular benefits.
Quote:
Question 2- If I do not notify and keep collecting (assuming I have to switch to FLA rates), how would they ever know?? And if I did get caught what would happen??
New Jersey would find out about your new address the first time it sends you a UI notice and that notice is returned to them for a wrong address; NJ UI checks and notices of direct deposit cannot be forwarded by the Postal Service to changed addresses.

You have no reason to lie in this case -- as the NJ UI benefits are all you can get. But if NJUI discovers any misrepresentation on your part -- and it is considered fraud -- your remaining benefits will be disallowed, NJ will take action to recover prior benefits, and you can be subject to prosecution for falsifying info.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Two comments:

The u/e rate is significantly higher in FL. If you don't either have a free place to live or a job lined up, moving here is most likely not a great idea.

FL u/e caps at $275 a week, regardless of income. You could be making $250K a year, you'd still only get $275 a week. Someone making $20K a year is only going to get about $100 a week.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Two comments:

The u/e rate is significantly higher in FL. If you don't either have a free place to live or a job lined up, moving here is most likely not a great idea.

FL u/e caps at $275 a week, regardless of income. You could be making $250K a year, you'd still only get $275 a week. Someone making $20K a year is only going to get about $100 a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well Orlando, followed by Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, and finally Memphis lead the nation in deadly hit and runs.

All those uninsured FL drivers behind the wheel.

OP should stay in NJ.
VLO17, your post asked about the effect a move to Florida would have on your continuing to collect unemployment from NJ. FYI, the opinions from the posters above that you should not relocate to Florida does not change my factual response to your specific questions (see post #2).

Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 17,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLO17 View Post
Hoping someone may have some insight on this. Details--
- Lived in NJ for 8 Years
- Laid off from a good job 3 months ago (was employed at the company for 3 YRS)
-Moving to FLA in a few weeks
-Still unemployed

I am aware that I have to notify the state of NJ.

Question 1- Will I still be collecting NJ unemployment? or Florida? NJ UE is 600 weekly. I heard FLA is 300 or so.

You can see my dilemma.

Question 2- If I do not notify and keep collecting (assuming I have to switch to FLA rates), how would they ever know?? And if I did get caught what would happen?? This is all assuming I would have to switch to FLA.

Having UE cut in half would be a big deal. Especially since I worked in NJ. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, just so everyone knows- i am not some scum bag trying to scam the system. I work hard and am actively looking. THX

Hello,
You need not stress anymore. You can continue to collect in NJ even though you are moving to Florida. NJ is the state you worked in and therefore they have to pay you your unemployment. It is not necessary to let NJ know that you are moving to Florida. Just file online. I have a friend who was collecting in Florida as well but just came up to NY and got a temporary job after she did 6 months in NY she was eligible to file in NY even though Florida is her primary residence. Where ever you work is where you have to file. If you work in 2 different states that makes up the amounts of money for unemployment they will send you a form where you will have to give up one or the other state. You can't receive benefits from different states at the same time. So don't worry you are legally in your rights to draw your unemployment from NJ and move to Florida.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by window54 View Post
Hello,
You need not stress anymore. You can continue to collect in NJ even though you are moving to Florida. NJ is the state you worked in and therefore they have to pay you your unemployment. It is not necessary to let NJ know that you are moving to Florida. Just file online. I have a friend who was collecting in Florida as well but just came up to NY and got a temporary job after she did 6 months in NY she was eligible to file in NY even though Florida is her primary residence. Where ever you work is where you have to file. If you work in 2 different states that makes up the amounts of money for unemployment they will send you a form where you will have to give up one or the other state. You can't receive benefits from different states at the same time. So don't worry you are legally in your rights to draw your unemployment from NJ and move to Florida.
Sorry -- regardless of what your friend experienced with New York, that is NOT true in New Jersey. You do have to report a relocation out of state. According to the NJ UI website:
Quote:
If you move out-of state while you are claiming benefits, you should immediately telephone 1-888-795-6672 and select the option to file a claim in order to report the address change. An agent will assist you in claiming benefits against New Jersey on an interstate basis.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Frequently Asked Questions

Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 AM

54 posts, read 137,829 times
I was also checking into moving to AZ. When I checked their website they said they offer 20 weeks of EB. Would that mean NJ would give you the full EB?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 11,598 times
I just move to Florida from nj . Can I collect unemployment even if iam working full time in Florida can anyone help me please thank you

Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey15 View Post
I just move to Florida from nj . Can I collect unemployment even if iam working full time in Florida can anyone help me please thank you
No. If you are employed full-time, you do not qualify for unemployment benefits. Doesn't matter which state you live in or left.

Just curious, why would you think you qualify for unemployment benefits when you are employed at a full-time job?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-07-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 10,930 times
Hi, I am thinking to relocate to FL, my husband got lay off from work and found a job over there. I am currently working in NJ. I'm definitley start looking for job out there, but if I can't find a job, can I collect umemployment?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment