Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:30 AM

29 posts, read 77,452 times

Advertisements

I am in Tier III - New Jersey. I have not gotten any EB. I am starting a 3+ month full time temp job, that will pay more than unemployment. When this job is up, can I still get unemployment on my original claim? Or is that it, am done and out of luck when this job is over???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

405 posts, read 1,275,109 times
I'm in PA so I am not familliar with NJ laws re: this issue.
However, I will say that if I were you I would for work "off the books"
to supplement your UC benefits.
I have been laid off since late June and I have doing exactly that.
I get about $500 a week in UC and I'm making $375 a week
working off the books in cash in a part time job.
This way I don't worry about conflicting incomes with the UC people.
What they don't know won't hurt them.
I also donate plasma at the local clinic for another $75 a week in cash.
I've been doing fine since I got laid off.
I would look for something off the books if I were you.
Check out Craigslist.
There are a lot of jobs you can do for cash on there.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM

25,582 posts, read 56,187,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unworker View Post
I am in Tier III - New Jersey. I have not gotten any EB. I am starting a 3+ month full time temp job, that will pay more than unemployment. When this job is up, can I still get unemployment on my original claim? Or is that it, am done and out of luck when this job is over???
If the EUC legislation is not extended, you should still be eligible for EB in New Jersey unless they change their state laws. If the EUC legislation is extended, at that point you would need to contact NJ to reopen your claim and you would continue on the tiers unless there is a BYE date to contend with at which time they will have to reevaluate your claim based on the prior years earnings.

Fwiw, disregard GMH's suggestion on working off the books. Not smart, not legal, and if someone turns you in, you are fined, required to repay benefits, and are ineligible for future benefits for a long period. A bad idea.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the answer. What is a BYE date -- the benefit year end date? I had that come and go without a problem. Will that have any affect on me getting continued benefits if I do not get something permanent by the time I finish this job?

No, I will not be working off the books. I'm not looking to criminally scam the system. The people that do are the ones who are a drain on the system, that politicians can point to so they can cut off benefits for the people who need and deserve them. I do not want to be getting unemployment, but if I am lawfully entitled, then I am lawfully entitled and will do what I have to do in order to get it. Hopefully, I will not have to, but I am trying to find out what to expect so I can plan for the near future.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. What is a BYE date -- the benefit year end date? I had that come and go without a problem. Will that have any affect on me getting continued benefits if I do not get something permanent by the time I finish this job?
Yes, benefit year end. Because your BYE date has come and gone, your temp earnings may be sufficient to open a new claim if you have earned at least $7,300. If so, you would be paid benefits based on those earnings, possibly lower than what you are receiving now. When those benefits are exhausted, you would continue on EB, provided NJ is still offering EB at that time.

From the NJ website:
Quote:
Alternate Base Year Period

If your earnings during your regular base year period do not meet the qualifications for a claim, earnings in other base year periods will be reviewed. You may qualify for benefits if you worked at least 20 base weeks (a base week in 2008 is minimum weekly earnings of $143; a base week in 2009 is minimum weekly earnings of $143; and a base week in 2010 is minimum weekly earnings of $145), or a total of $7,300 in any one-year period in the last 1 1/2 years (last 18 months)for a claim dated in calendar year 2010.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

This happened to another poster on this board. She had worked part time and PA evaluated her three months after her BYE date, said she qualified for a new claim at a much lower amount.

You may want to call NJ to verify this.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Hmm. . . interesting. The thing is that I don't think I will be able to qualify for unemployment when this job is over. Not because of the earnings amount. It will be more than $7,300.00, but I don't think I am eligible for unemployment, as a result of this temporary project, when it is over (because I don't think it really qualifies as "employment"). We'll see what happens. . .

Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,940,933 times
Quote:

Hmm. . . interesting. The thing is that I don't think I will be able to qualify for unemployment when this job is over. Not because of the earnings amount. It will be more than $7,300.00, but I don't think I am eligible for unemployment, as a result of this temporary project, when it is over (because I don't think it really qualifies as "employment"). We'll see what happens. . .
If you are being paid for this project on a 1099 basis, no contribution will be made toward unemployment -- so these earnings will not count as credit toward a future unemployment claim.

If you are paid on a W-2 basis -- which typically means that your employer is paying into the unemployment insurance fund -- these earnings will count as credit toward a future unemployment claim.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 PM

11 posts, read 109,229 times
Hi, I have a question....I have been unemployed two years this December, I have an offer to work on a temp assignment for 16 weeks I will be making a total of $12,000 starting January 2, 2013. I would think I could qualify for UB since I would be making more than $7,300. However how dos it work with the base year since I have been unemployed? My understanding is that I am supposed to have worked 12 moths on a base year and I haven't. I also have another offer for 12 months starting January 2012 and ending December 31, 2013. Even if I open a claim on January 2014 for the assignment of 12 months I still would have not completed the base year. Please help...I live in NJ.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martalarta View Post
Hi, I have a question....I have been unemployed two years this December, I have an offer to work on a temp assignment for 16 weeks I will be making a total of $12,000 starting January 2, 2013. I would think I could qualify for UB since I would be making more than $7,300. However how dos it work with the base year since I have been unemployed? My understanding is that I am supposed to have worked 12 moths on a base year and I haven't. I also have another offer for 12 months starting January 2012 and ending December 31, 2013. Even if I open a claim on January 2014 for the assignment of 12 months I still would have not completed the base year. Please help...I live in NJ.
No, you do not need to have worked for twelve months.

NY has three methods of qualifying you for benefits. In your case, NJ would be using Alternate Base Year #2, as follows:
Quote:
What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must have worked at least 20 base weeks in covered employment or you must have earned $7,300. For weeks worked in 2010, 2011, and 2012 the amount is $145. These wages must have been earned during a 52 week period that is called a base year.

Base Year Period

Your regular base year period consists of 52 weeks that is determined by the date of your claim. The chart below shows what your regular base year period would be if you filed your claim any day between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012.

Alternate Base Year Period

If your earnings during your regular base year period do not meet the qualifications for a claim, earnings in other base year periods will be reviewed. You may qualify for benefits if you worked at least 20 base weeks (a base week in 2010, 2011, and 2012 is minimum weekly earnings of $145), or a total of $7,300 in any one-year period in the last 1 1/2 years (last 18 months)for a claim dated in calendar year 2010.

There are two alternate base years (one-year periods) within the last 18 months that we check to qualify you for a claim. You cannot choose which alternate base year or which calendar quarters to use to qualify for a claim. Once your claim becomes valid, that is the base year you must use on your claim. If you still do not qualify for a claim using the first alternate base year, then we check using the second alternate base year.

Alternate Base Year #1 consists of the four most recently completed calendar quarters preceding the date of claim.

Alternate Base Year #2 consists of the three most recently completed calendar quarters preceding the date of the claim and weeks in the filing quarter up to the date of the claim. This alternative base year will contain less than 52 weeks.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?
Read the above link carefully. NJ also provides a benefit calculator, here:

http://lwd.state.nj.us/uiapp/Start.html

Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Further to this, NJ might also be using ABY #1, as you will have had sufficient earnings during those 13 weeks. The benefit may be for a shorter period than ABY #2 but, as NJ states, you can't choose which method they use. Using Jan-March, estimated earnings of $9,750, would give you a weekly benefit of $450 for 13 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment