Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 AM

18 posts, read 35,393 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much out of money and behind on a house payment. Is it time for me to pack up my belongings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:38 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Not anytime soon, sorry to say. We'll know more in a few weeks, but it appears very unlikely.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,768 times
Chances look very slim.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM

163 posts, read 712,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Not anytime soon, sorry to say. We'll know more in a few weeks, but it appears very unlikely.
From your observation- do you believe this to be true for the date being pushed out as well?

I have some really great opportunities I'm working on.........a possible solid job offer to come in (have interviewed twice, best friend is in HR in a very large corporation so I had a fast track to the VP). If I get offered the job, it won't start until the first of the year. Wondering if EB will carry me until then......Only if the date is pushed out though. As it stands, I will get about 2 weeks of EB before it expires...

Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown8494 View Post
I'm pretty much out of money and behind on a house payment. Is it time for me to pack up my belongings?
If you live in Michigan, then you should definitely getcher butt out of the state once your unemployment benefits end.

For a 5th tier to pass, it would have to be passed over the Republicans' dead bodies, so it's not going to happen.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
If I get offered the job, it won't start until the first of the year. Wondering if EB will carry me until then......Only if the date is pushed out though. As it stands, I will get about 2 weeks of EB before it expires...
Better plan on no money for a few weeks. Might be it will be much ado about nothing and Congress will handle this on a timely basis, but it's sort of a case of don't eat your chicken until it's fried and on your plate. And, you are in CA, so if there is any delay at all in an extension, your money won't be sent quickly.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
If you live in Michigan, then you should definitely getcher butt out of the state once your unemployment benefits end.

For a 5th tier to pass, it would have to be passed over the Republicans' dead bodies, so it's not going to happen.
If you have a home the idea of getting out of Michigan isn't so easy, but I can say I found a job here just short of 2 years and couldn't have left anyways with an underwater mortgage without ruining me for a good 10 years. I dont care where you are at right now its tough all over.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM

163 posts, read 712,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Better plan on no money for a few weeks. Might be it will be much ado about nothing and Congress will handle this on a timely basis, but it's sort of a case of don't eat your chicken until it's fried and on your plate. And, you are in CA, so if there is any delay at all in an extension, your money won't be sent quickly.
Perfect- Thanks for the reply. I have a bit to carry me so that's fine if they play with it. I've been stealing from myself each month and trying to save all that I can of what's left over each month. I think I have about 2 months worth of carry over. Hopefully I'll get word about the job soon and won't have to worry about the long run...
thanks again.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Just FYI -- the last three extensions of unemployment benefits were stalled in the Senate. In fact, resistance in the Senate has been so difficult that the House members have already said that they will just wait for the Senate to decide on the next round of unemployment extensions -- rather than push something through the House to have it stalled again in the Senate.

Best to watch the Senate for any movement on unemployment extensions -- if the Senate pases something, the House will fall in line.

Last edited by JMT; 11-18-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Deleted a quoted post that has since been removed

Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 PM

186 posts, read 365,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just FYI -- the last three extensions of unemployment benefits were stalled in the Senate. In fact, resistance in the Senate has been so difficult that the House members have already said that they will just wait for the Senate to decide on the next round of unemployment extensions -- rather than push something through the House to have it stalled again in the Senate.

Best to watch the Senate for any movement on unemployment extensions -- if the Senate pases something, the House will fall in line.
personally, i'm pretty sure that that is it with extensions (tiers) also with all the republicans winning tonight. there is no way it'll pass now. democrats will have no power and have no choice but to move on to other matters. luckily i'm in nj and i can get extended benefits. change is needed, but i predict a big doo doo storm of people moving back with family members ,losing homes, etc.. and the worst part is that the republicans will look good because unemployment will go down..basically because people aren't getting it anymore and it is no longer being documented when people no longer receive unemployment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment