U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 12,816 times

Advertisements

I have a similar question. I have been unemployed since Mar. 2010. My regular EDD completed around Oct. 2010. I am on extension 1 for 20 weeks. I believe reading the following extension weeks: 20, 14, 13, 6, 20: for a maximum of 99 weeks. Since I am on extension until Mar. 2011, I believe I can endure another 14 weeks of EDD, as I am getting close to a job. Does anyone know that when my 20 week extension ends in Mar. 2011, will the EDD file another extension on my behalf for 14 weeks. Similar to other people writing in this blog, I haven't been lucky with a job prospect. In fact, I will be glad to get something out of state, if necessary?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 27,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployedinlosangeles View Post
I have a similar question. I have been unemployed since Mar. 2010. My regular EDD completed around Oct. 2010. I am on extension 1 for 20 weeks. I believe reading the following extension weeks: 20, 14, 13, 6, 20: for a maximum of 99 weeks. Since I am on extension until Mar. 2011, I believe I can endure another 14 weeks of EDD, as I am getting close to a job. Does anyone know that when my 20 week extension ends in Mar. 2011, will the EDD file another extension on my behalf for 14 weeks. Similar to other people writing in this blog, I haven't been lucky with a job prospect. In fact, I will be glad to get something out of state, if necessary?
I am sure they will automatically file you into the next tier. And at the same time, they will ask you to fill out some extra paperwork. Because every 1 year, you need to update your claim

Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,816 times
Blades: Thanks for the response. I have another question. I moved to CA from TX for personal reasons. I had a job in CA and lost it. However, I was not employed for more than a year in CA. I was working in TX prior to moving to CA. I was reading the CA unemployment maximum benefits for 99 weeks: regular and extensions. I am a little confused on working eligibility. Will I get CA benefits, even though I haven't worked for more than 1 year in CA. Not sure how it works: as I haven't been unemployed too often in the last 10 years. (As of now, my unemployment benefits [especially the 1st extension] is past my actual working history in CA). Obviously, I have bills to pay.

I hear the EDD and read the EDD website. It mentions Obama, which indicates Federal.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,290 times
Please help ...my regular unemployment benefits ends in march 12/2011 does that mean I will not be eligible for the first federal ext. Thanks guys

Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Blades: Thanks for the response. I have another question. I moved to CA from TX for personal reasons. I had a job in CA and lost it. However, I was not employed for more than a year in CA. I was working in TX prior to moving to CA. I was reading the CA unemployment maximum benefits for 99 weeks: regular and extensions. I am a little confused on working eligibility. Will I get CA benefits, even though I haven't worked for more than 1 year in CA. Not sure how it works: as I haven't been unemployed too often in the last 10 years. (As of now, my unemployment benefits [especially the 1st extension] is past my actual working history in CA). Obviously, I have bills to pay.

I hear the EDD and read the EDD website. It mentions Obama, which indicates Federal.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
I'm not sure how this would work, sorry

Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellofrommars View Post
Please help ...my regular unemployment benefits ends in march 12/2011 does that mean I will not be eligible for the first federal ext. Thanks guys
yes, you would jump into the next tier. the deadline for jumping into the next tier is Dec 2011

Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM

25,097 posts, read 54,099,260 times
Quote:
I moved to CA from TX for personal reasons. I had a job in CA and lost it. However, I was not employed for more than a year in CA. I was working in TX prior to moving to CA. I was reading the CA unemployment maximum benefits for 99 weeks: regular and extensions. I am a little confused on working eligibility. Will I get CA benefits, even though I haven't worked for more than 1 year in CA. Not sure how it works: as I haven't been unemployed too often in the last 10 years. (As of now, my unemployment benefits [especially the 1st extension] is past my actual working history in CA).

If you are filing your claim through CA EDD and collecting benefits from CA EDD, California is already paying your benefits. Texas has nothing to do with your claim unless you have a combined claim based on earnings in CA and Texas.

You do not have to work 'one year.' You do have to have enough earnings in your base year to qualify for the benefit you are receiving from CA, which obviously you had or you wouldn't have collected CA state benefits which you say ended in October.

Per your first post, you have already been found eligible and have collected state benefits and are now collecting Tier 1 benefits from CA. If you were allocated the full 26 weeks' state benefits, you should also be eligible for all the tiers and Fed-ED.

Call or email EDD to verify your eligibility for the rest of the tiers and Fed-ED.

Relative to "Obama" and "federal", the first 26 weeks of EDD were state benefits paid by California. The tier you are now collecting and the tiers you will collect in the future and Fed-ED are federal benefits. Eligibility for the federal tiers 2-4 and Fed-ED (CA's version of EB) ends December 31, 2011 unless Congress passes another extension. By the end of this year, you probably will be collecting Fed-ED. Know that without another extension by Congress, CA will stop paying Fed-ED within a week or two of December 31, 2011.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-06-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,554 times
I've been collecting unemployment for 6 months, starting last July. My claim balance is currently at 0, but my claim expires 06-25-11. Will it go til then? I just received a check with only one week's benefits with the statement "You have received all benefits payable on your claim"....I'm worried because I don't know what is happening.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 PM

25,097 posts, read 54,099,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unem7 View Post
I've been collecting unemployment for 6 months, starting last July. My claim balance is currently at 0, but my claim expires 06-25-11. Will it go til then? I just received a check with only one week's benefits with the statement "You have received all benefits payable on your claim"....I'm worried because I don't know what is happening.
June 25, 2011 is the end of your benefit year, which means you have until June 25, 2011 to exhaust state benefits, which you already have.

You should now be eligible for EUC tiers. Last date for eligibility for a tier is December 31, 2011. Last date to exhaust benefits of any tier you are on as of January 2, 2012 is June 9, 2012.

California should be sending you something soon per this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
I got my Tier 1 extension form 3 days after my last check. Not bad!!
Dont sweat it too much.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 12,554 times
thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment