U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,206 times

Advertisements

how many weeks of unemployment do u have to recieve to qualify for the extensions is it 26 or can it be less
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 11,378 times
Default Confused About Tier 3 of CA UI Benefits - Can Any One Help?

I just exhausted my second extension and was told that I will be automatically filed for my their extension via email from an EDD representative. They gave me the following information regarding my tiers of benefits:
[SIZE=3]
You exhausted benefits on your 2nd extension, EUX, and the EUY (1 week) will be filed automatically. Please read the information below regarding the 3rd extension. If you collect all available benefits on your second extension before January 1, 2012, the EDD will automatically file the third federal extension. No action is needed on your part. The extension order is as follows: EUC (20wks), EUX (13wks), EUY (1wk), EUZ (6wks) & FED-ED (20wks).

What the EDD rep provided above only adds up to 86 weeks, not 99.

[/SIZE]Does anyone have any information on why I would only get 1 week for Tier 3 and not 13 which would provide me with the full 99 weeks of UI benefits?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 12,238 times
First Extension Process
1. It is filed for you, there's nothing to do on your end.
2. Fill out your claim forms as usual every 2 weeks

Although your last check for your regular unemployment is for one week, the extension will
cover the week that is XX out.
As an example:
Last check is for
Jan 1-15 Paid
Jan 16-30 XX out, no pay

Your first extension check would be
Jan 16-30 Paid
Feb 1-15 Paid

The extensions have been extended until January 2012

Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 12,238 times
Here's the correct chart of the new calculations, for some reason the unemployment offices are still sending out the outdated information.
CURRENT UI EXTENDED BENEFIT DURATION & CLAIM DEADLINES

UI Benefits Provided During This Recession UI Claims Maximum Weeks of Benefits Provided Deadline for Starting This Type of UI Claim Regular UI Claim Up to 26 weeks of benefits Once someone becomes unemployed 1st Tier of Federal Extension Up to 20 weeks of benefits December 25, 2011 2nd Tier of Federal Extension Up to 14 weeks of benefits January 1, 2012 3rd Tier of Federal Extension Up to 13 weeks of benefits January 1, 2012 4th Tier of Federal Extension Up to 6 weeks of benefits January 1, 2012 Separate FED-ED Extension Up to 20 weeks of benefits January 8, 2012 POTENTIAL TOTAL MAXIMUM BENEFITS Up to 99 weeks of benefits

Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,881 times
I have been on unemployment for 52 weeks or one year. I received a letter last week saying that I had to re-apply for benefits. Then I received another letter this week saying I had to send them information on my employment for last year which of course I don't have since I was unemployed. I just sent off a letter, asking why they needed me to do this because I thought the extensions were automatically filed. I also wrote them that I need 30 or more days notice if I am not receiving an extension so I can give my apartment manager notice and find a friend to live with since I will have no money to live on. I will see what they say but I am baffled on why they are having me reapply when they already know from my claims that I was unemployed all last year.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,635,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirlnla View Post
I have been on unemployment for 52 weeks or one year. I received a letter last week saying that I had to re-apply for benefits. Then I received another letter this week saying I had to send them information on my employment for last year which of course I don't have since I was unemployed. I just sent off a letter, asking why they needed me to do this because I thought the extensions were automatically filed. I also wrote them that I need 30 or more days notice if I am not receiving an extension so I can give my apartment manager notice and find a friend to live with since I will have no money to live on. I will see what they say but I am baffled on why they are having me reapply when they already know from my claims that I was unemployed all last year.
Everyone in every state has to re-certify their UI claim at the one-year anniversary (Benefit Year End or "BYE"). It is part of the process.

You file a new claim at the one-year anniversary. If you have accrued sufficient credits for a new claim, it is opened for you. If not, your new claim is denied, and your original claim is reopened -- and your weekly benefits resume.

States often automatically file for a claimants next extension -- but few states automatically re-certify claimants at the BYE.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 PM

330 posts, read 1,427,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Everyone in every state has to re-certify their UI claim at the one-year anniversary (Benefit Year End or "BYE"). It is part of the process.

You file a new claim at the one-year anniversary. If you have accrued sufficient credits for a new claim, it is opened for you. If not, your new claim is denied, and your original claim is reopened -- and your weekly benefits resume.

States often automatically file for a claimants next extension -- but few states automatically re-certify claimants at the BYE.
I'm starting to think they don't always follow their own rules. As I reflect, my brother has been on UI here in California nearing 99 weeks, and he has never had to recertify on his own. He has never had to call them up and or recertify online.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,635,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaj2 View Post
I'm starting to think they don't always follow their own rules. As I reflect, my brother has been on UI here in California nearing 99 weeks, and he has never had to recertify on his own. He has never had to call them up and or recertify online.
If your brother has never been contacted about re-certifying -- or about his original claim being extended past his initial 52 weeks -- and has continued collecting on the same claim past his BYE (without pause) then he is apparently the exception.

At the very least, he should have received notification that a new claim was filed for him automatically at his BYE -- and denied -- and that he would be continuing to collect on his original claim.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM

330 posts, read 1,427,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
If your brother has never been contacted about re-certifying -- or about his original claim being extended past his initial 52 weeks -- and has continued collecting on the same claim past his BYE (without pause) then he is apparently the exception.

At the very least, he should have received notification that a new claim was filed for him automatically at his BYE -- and denied -- and that he would be continuing to collect on his original claim.
That he did receive. You can hardly get through on the telephone to call someone at the EDD here in California. The only time I was ever able to reach a live person at the EDD is when opened up my initial claim 2 years ago.

I keep reading people say you have to call to recertify and I keep wondering how are these people getting a live person.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,729,802 times
I passed my benefit year last summer and had no problem getting through to someone at EDD. Had to wait on hold for a while, but not really that long, no longer than when I call any other state agency. I called a week or two later with a question, and again, no problem getting through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment