U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:40 PM

25,091 posts, read 54,083,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnguyenx3 View Post
I just received a continued claim form a week AFTER i got my last REGULAR benefit check. The difference is that now the box for question 3 "Did you look for work?" has an X on it now, meaning that i have to complete the back side of the form to show my work search.

The form states:

"This form is being sent to you to bring your claim up to date. If you wish to claim benefits for this period, please complete the entire form, sign and mail immediately."

My question is, after receiving this and after i mail it in (on monday, since today is saturday) , does this mean that i am eligible for an extension since i've received this continued claim form? OR does it mean that i have to mail it in AND THEN EDD will determine whether or not i am eligible and will receive a letter with their answer?
Chances are you are eligible, but until you receive a Notice of EUC Tier 1 monetary award, I can't say for certain. That said, CA normally doesn't send those forms to people who don't qualify. Return the form with the work search information.

If the base wages used in your original claim are greater than 40x your weekly benefit, or exceed 1.5x your high quarter wages, your claim qualifies for EUC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Chances are you are eligible, but until you receive a Notice of EUC Tier 1 monetary award, I can't say for certain. That said, CA normally doesn't send those forms to people who don't qualify. Return the form with the work search information.

If the base wages used in your original claim are greater than 40x your weekly benefit, or exceed 1.5x your high quarter wages, your claim qualifies for EUC.
I've heard of the whole calculating my base wage and if its greater than my weekly benefit and the 1.5x high quarter wages, but i'm afraid that if it doesn't fulfill that requirement, i may be denied the extension.

Reason why i think this way is because a colleague of mine was denied an extension. The difference from her to myself was that, she only worked at our company for 1 year compared to me which i worked for 3 years (both of us getting paid the same, but she was just getting more hours). So if she was denied, WITH having making more money than myself, i started to worry about my status with EDD in regards to receiving an extension.

Now, the difference in which this is playing out is that her claim benefits exhausted about 3 months ago while mine just ended last week. She was given a letter that told her that she was denied the extension as well an appeal form/letter. Another big difference was that she never received the continued claim form that i have received, the one with the statement i have told you in my previous post.

With that being said, i was wondering: what are the chances that i will be granted an extension?

(sorry if the story is confusing, it's hard to understand this whole process because of the different situations that every one of my colleague is going through and i can't seem to get an answer.)

Also, thank you for replying promptly to my question and supplying an answer for me

Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 PM

25,091 posts, read 54,083,041 times
Look, do your numbers. You're waaay overthinking this. If you worked for 3 years and got benefits for 26 weeks, you get EUC.

Your co-worker probably filed too soon, should have waited until the next quarter when she would have had more earnings in her base year, so CA qualified her using using earnings spanning two quarters, which could have included only 20 weeks earnings or less. Thus, she had a much smaller claim and didn't qualify for EUC. Simple as that.

Stop worrying.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Look, do your numbers. You waaay overthinking this. If you worked for 3 years and got benefits for 26 weeks, you get EUC.

Your co-worker probably filed too soon, should have waited until the next quarter when she would have had more earnings in her base year, so CA either qualified her using it's alternate base period which could have included only 20 weeks earnings or less. Thus, she had a smaller claim and didn't qualify for EUC. Simple as that.

Stop worrying.

Can't afford to not be able to claim my benefits at the moment.

Thanks again for the prompt reply and answers. Appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment