Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,270 times

Advertisements

I am currently on tier 1. I have about 8 weeks left, so until the end of January. If the new legislation is passed, would I be eligible to move to the next tier after I have exhausted tier 1? I just exhausted the federal portion this week so as of this week, I have a 0 balance. I believe the state benefits kick in at this point until this tier is exhausted but I just need some clarification.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
What state are you in? What do you mean you have eight weeks left and a zero balance? Tiers are 100% federally funded - there is no state portion/federal portion.

To answer your Q, yes, if the extension is enacted, you should be able to move to the next tier of your benefits.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,469 times
Default State?

There will be a new "date" that you have to exhaust a Federal EUC Tier by. We don't know what date that is yet, but if it's the end of 2011 you should easily get to Tier II. If EB is available in your State, it will kick in. Best to check if your State offers EB.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,726 times
I ran out of my 26 base weeks 3 weeks ago and my state has put me on EB's .... if something is passed and written into law extending deadlines, will I be automatically pulled off EB and put onto Tier 1 ???????

Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeJoke View Post
I ran out of my 26 base weeks 3 weeks ago and my state has put me on EB's .... if something is passed and written into law extending deadlines, will I be automatically pulled off EB and put onto Tier 1 ???????
Probably. The few states that are now paying EB, will revert to the Tiers when they are again available as that is 100% funded by the govt. States paying EB now are picking up 50% of the cost. Obviously, they don't want to do this any longer than they have to.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 AM

I live in new york. I was told by the department of labor that under tier 1 EUC, you are eligible for 20 extra weeks which consist of 13 weeks federally paid and the last 7 weeks state paid. I have exhausted the federally paid portion which now shows I have $0 left available. The state remaining portion should now kick in and will show the rest of the balance remaining on tier 1. I hope this makes sense. It is confusing which is why I wanted to know if I would be eligible to move to tier 2 under new legislation. Under current legislation, it states that I would have to exhaust all of my tier 1 benefits by the end of November 28 in order to move to the next tier. As I stated, I have exhausted all of the federal portion. The state portion will not not be exhausted until the end of January. If otherwise exhausted after November 28th I would the able to exhaust what was a left under tier 1 but not be able to move to the next tier. I didn't know if that would change under the new legislation making me eligible to move to the next tier.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM

I believe you were misinformed. There is no State portion for EUC Tiers - it is all Federal funding. Depending on what State your claim is in, EB can be State funded, federally funded, or 50/50.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Yes, the current tier 1 I am under is funded 50/50 (federal/state). I have exhausted the federal portion this past week and am now moving to the state funds beginning next week which will be exhausted by the end of January. I wanted to know if/when the new legislation takes effect, would I be eligible to move to the next tier once I have exhausted tier 1 completely at the end of January? Current legislation as of July states that current tiers need to be exhausted by November 28 otherwise would not be able to move to next tier, only able to continue to exhaust current tier and thats it. Would the deadline change if new legislation is passed which could enable me to move to next tier?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Are you confusing EUC Tiers and EB? EB is not part of the Tier system. Legislation will change the deadline to move to the next EUC Tier. We're just waiting on Washington now.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 AM

When I look at the benefits calculator, it is currently showing that I am eligible for the regular 26 week unemployment benefits (which I have already exhausted) and then it shows Tier 1 which is an additional 20 weeks, which is what I am currently on. This is all under current legislation. Now, under current legislation it states that any tier must be exhausted by November 28 in order to be able to move to a new tier. If not exhausted by this date, you are still able to exhaust the current tier you are on but not move to a new tier once exhausted. I will not exhaust Tier 1 until the end of January and was not sure if/when the new legislation is passed, if this will change the deadline date of November 28 and make me eligible to move to the next tier at the end of January. I apologize if I am not making sense. All of this confusion is why I am inquiring to provide me with some clarification and better understanding of what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment