U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,179,581 times

Advertisements

In anticipation of the eligibility cut-off dates for federal unemployment benefits at the end of this month, New York State is notifying those who will no longer receive unemployment benefits -- as well as 99ers and others who have exhausted their benefits -- how to apply for food stamps, Medicaid, and other assistance programs.

The state is directing the unemployed to a website (http://www.mybenefits.ny.gov/) where they can obtain information on eligibility requirements for home energy assistance, Family Health Plus, and school lunch programs, as well as Medicaid and food stamps.

As unemployment extensions lapse, NY offers food stamps to 99ers and others - New York unemployment benefits | Examiner.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,344,553 times
Thanks for this info, I wish GA had and will be so proactive. As a 99er in this state being single w/o kids all I qualify for is SNAPS (food stamps).

I've spent Monday and today going from church chairities to county facilities looking for help with my electric bill (I'm all elect). After spending a total of 10 hours I will get 2 months paid, but it is a one time deal, so in the dead of winter I'll loose my electricity. In my area the food banks are empty, I don't used them because of SNAPS and I feel I can make it on that and leave the food banks to others who are worse off. There is no help for phones, rent/mortgage unless you have children.

I think we will be facing some real disasters this winter, as people loose power, water, heat along with being thrown out of homes. I remember so many stories of the elderly freezing to death because they couldn't pay their heating bills. I know in many of the northern states they don't let that happen but here in GA they will and do turn it off for non-payment in the middle of the winter. I live in NE GA and we get below freezing often.

At least in NY the state is trying to help those who are in serious trouble.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,179,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Thanks for this info, I wish GA had and will be so proactive. As a 99er in this state being single w/o kids all I qualify for is SNAPS (food stamps).

I've spent Monday and today going from church chairities to county facilities looking for help with my electric bill (I'm all elect). After spending a total of 10 hours I will get 2 months paid, but it is a one time deal, so in the dead of winter I'll loose my electricity. In my area the food banks are empty, I don't used them because of SNAPS and I feel I can make it on that and leave the food banks to others who are worse off. There is no help for phones, rent/mortgage unless you have children.

I think we will be facing some real disasters this winter, as people loose power, water, heat along with being thrown out of homes. I remember so many stories of the elderly freezing to death because they couldn't pay their heating bills. I know in many of the northern states they don't let that happen but here in GA they will and do turn it off for non-payment in the middle of the winter. I live in NE GA and we get below freezing often.

At least in NY the state is trying to help those who are in serious trouble.
I know that New Jersey is also being more flexible in providing assistance beyond food stamps -- particularly for single adults (with no dependents) who aren't old enough to qualify for the 65+ senior benefits.

While I realize that the funding for these state-administered programs is becoming more strapped, I'm hopeful that moving forward we will see more of this attention to jobless caught in the netherworld of "too old for many jobs, too young for traditional benefits."

I would encourage anyone who needs assistance to apply -- even if they have been denied help in the past. Many states are changing their eligibility criteria in the face of the currently gloomy outlook for continuing federal unemployment benefits at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or