Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,680,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
During that time it is also unlikely that there will be any appreciable development of the "jobs creation" programs that have been discussed in Washington as an alternative to expanded benefits. So expanding federal unemployment benefits will be the fastest, easiest -- albeit most expensive -- national "fix."
Public works could also help our economy by employing labor market participants with a work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,364,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
In the same article linked above: "Democrats are as angry about how the deal was put together as they are about its substance. They see the White House as abandoning bipartisan talks with Republicans and Democrats to work out a deal just with Senate Republicans.

"[Vice President Joe Biden] basically said, 'Take it or leave it,'" Representative Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) said. "We left it. It's up to them." DeFazio was referring to a non-binding vote taken by the House Democrats in their caucus to reject the White House tax cut/unemployment extension plan.
The more I think about this the more unbelievable it is - a bill with overwhelming popular support scuttled by people who have been voted out of office. There's no way Pelosi can let that happen.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 11,962 times
Does this mean the bill was not passed and will not go any further?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM

79 posts, read 231,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V. View Post
What it means is that anyone who is currently on unemployment or prematurely cut off before they received there total of 79 weeks, or new unemployment claimants will all have the next 13 months to exhaust or use as much unemployment insurance before it is again cut off for the third time. For instance, I have already been cut off my Tier2, with this new extension I will be able to finish out my Tier3&4 if necessary and still jobless. I then can go onto my state unemployment (EB) for an additional 20 weeks. EB is not a guarantee. It is based on your own state's unemployment rate. If it drops below a certain percentage, that is factored by last years unemployment rate and averages in past, then they notify you that you only have three weeks left and then it will be cut off. Hope this helps
I don't understand the timeframe for extending tiers.

For example I should be receiving my last check for tier 2 early February.

Under this new bill would I go on to tier 3 or would I have had to exhaust my tier before that date? I can't find dates online.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,364,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufasuperstorm View Post
Does this mean the bill was not passed and will not go any further?
Personally I still think it will pass - the question is how far the House dems will go to express their displeasure. I'm assuming Obama will smack a little common sense into them. But the wildcard is the 65 or so lame duck dem seats - who knows what they'll do?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1977 View Post

Under this new bill would I go on to tier 3 or would I have had to exhaust my tier before that date? I can't find dates online.
The proposed new legislation extends the eligibility for moving from state benefits, to the tiers, to EB to December 31, 2011 (we think).

If the legislation is enacted as it is written now, you should be able to move to Tier 3 without a problem.

There are no dates online because nothing has been finalized - not even the 13 months. The House and Senate will draft the final language based on the deal that is finally struck. At present, no one knows for sure what that deal will be.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-09-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,980,158 times
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has said that the legislation for the tax cut/federal unemployment extension plan has been drafted, and that he expects the Senate to vote on the bill tomorrow, Friday.

First Read - Senate close to being ready for tax vote; Saturday DADT vote possible

Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1977 View Post

Before
11/21/10 deadline to start Tier I
11/28/10 deadline to move to NEXT Tier
Now
We wait for new deadlines as the tomfoolery in congress continues.
After
??/??/11 deadline to start Tier I
??/??/11 deadline to move to NEXT Tier

It's not even a bill yet, and no date has been set. You must exhaust a Tier by a certain date in order to move to the next Tier as always. That date would be a Saturday, and a new Tier would start on a Sunday. Do not go by your certification date or the date you receive your payment to figure this out.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,680,120 times
Would anyone object to permanent forms of tax cuts for the wealthy, if a person could apply for unemployment compensation, simply for being unemployed; especially if that wage meets or beats federal poverty guidelines?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 PM

118 posts, read 534,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
The more I think about this the more unbelievable it is - a bill with overwhelming popular support scuttled by people who have been voted out of office. There's no way Pelosi can let that happen.
The proposal does not have overwhelming popular support. That's silly.

I assume you're referring to this Gallup poll when you say the proposal has overwhelming support:

Americans Support Two Major Elements of Tax Compromise - Gallup

But that's a pretty poorly worded poll for gauging how people actually feel about the issue.

On the other hand, all of these polls:

Obama's Compromise on Extending Highest-Income Tax Cuts Unpopular in Poll - Bloomberg
CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Vast Majority Wants Some Aspect of Bush Tax Cuts Extended - Gallup

show pretty clearly that when given a choice in the matter, most people don't want to extend the tax cuts for higher incomes. That shoots down any theory of "overwhelming" support for this proposal. At best it's grudging support or, more likely, just uninformed support.

For the record, here's the most recent poll I could find that asked more detailed questions about extending unemployment:

Majority of Americans support unemployment insurance extension | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

But the questions seem very leading and I can't even find the full poll results anywhere, so I don't put much stock in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment