Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times

Advertisements

Ok, i am in fourth tier in CA (at least I think, i can never find a straight answer to what tier i am on- anyway on my claim forms i now have to write down where i have looked for work- if anyone can help with that that would be great)
and i am wondering exactly WHAT the new Obama agreement re. tax cuts/unemployment means to ME. they say that they are extending unemployment for those about to run out and that it would grant an extra 13 months. But then they say they aren't extending it more than 99 weeks? i mean, what does that even mean? both of those things cannot be true at the same time, can they?

and for the snarkers out there, i have sent out thousands of resumes, i have put in applications to the lowliest sub shop to the classiest restaurant, cleaned toilets, houses, done everything legal for money i can think of but i live in los angeles. there are 8 jobless people for every one job. i may have to go back to GA if something doesn't change. so i don't want to hear anyone say "get off your ass and get a job". seriously. that's not the point of the post, and i hope a moderator will cut those out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Ok, i am in fourth tier in CA (at least I think, i can never find a straight answer to what tier i am on- anyway on my claim forms i now have to write down where i have looked for work- if anyone can help with that that would be great)
and i am wondering exactly WHAT the new Obama agreement re. tax cuts/unemployment means to ME. they say that they are extending unemployment for those about to run out and that it would grant an extra 13 months. But then they say they aren't extending it more than 99 weeks? i mean, what does that even mean? both of those things cannot be true at the same time, can they?

and for the snarkers out there, i have sent out thousands of resumes, i have put in applications to the lowliest sub shop to the classiest restaurant, cleaned toilets, houses, done everything legal for money i can think of but i live in los angeles. there are 8 jobless people for every one job. i may have to go back to GA if something doesn't change. so i don't want to hear anyone say "get off your ass and get a job". seriously. that's not the point of the post, and i hope a moderator will cut those out!
It means you get another year of 'looking' for businesses to say that you applied for a job. I get three people a day on the average wanting my signature for their forms at our place. And we have a sign out front saying 'Now Hiring'. None ask for applications.

I sincerely hope you find something soon.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Unemployment benefits and the extensions are set at different tier levels.

You first have the original 26 weeks of benefits.

Then you have a 20 week extension beyond the additional 26 weeks, bringing you to 46 weeks. This is called Tier 1.

After that you have another extension of 14 weeks, bringing you to a total of 60 weeks. This is called tier 2.

After that, its another extension, this one is 13 weeks, for a total of 73 weeks. That is called tier 3.

After tier 3, is a 6 week extension, going up to a total of 79 weeks. This extension depends on the unemployment rate of the state you are in. That is called tier 4.

After those tiers, another level of benefits exist. Those benefits are for 20 weeks, which brings a total of 93 or 99 weeks depending on the state you live in.

You can only move into the next tier of benefits with an extension. With the current extension expiring at the end of November you could not move into the next tier of benefits, even if you didn't get to 93 or 99 weeks.

So for example someone laid off in early June, would likely finish their 26 original weeks of benefits in early December. Because of the fact no extensions were in place after the end of November, they would not be able to move into the next tier level of benefits and therefore capped at the 26 week mark, and would lose benefits Same thing for those in other tier levels. Someone who lost their job in early Feb would likely be around 46 weeks of benefits in mid December. So they would be at the end of tier one, but because the previous extension expired at the end of November, they would not be able to move to the next tier level and be capped at the 46 weeks and lose benefits. Follow the same logic for the other tier levels.

So what this bill does is extends the deadline another 13 months for someone to be able to move to the next tier level. Its still a bit unclear whether or not it provides another tier level beyond the 99 weeks, but doesn't look likely. Based off what you explained about having to write down where you have applied, it appears that you are indeed in the final 20 weeks of benefits (though its possible you are in tier 4 between 73-79).

When did you start your unemployment claim? Have you been collecting full unemployment each week since you were laid off?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Unemployment benefits and the extensions are set at different tier levels.

You first have the original 26 weeks of benefits.

Then you have a 20 week extension beyond the additional 26 weeks, bringing you to 46 weeks. This is called Tier 1.

After that you have another extension of 14 weeks, bringing you to a total of 60 weeks. This is called tier 2.

After that, its another extension, this one is 13 weeks, for a total of 73 weeks. That is called tier 3.

After tier 3, is a 6 week extension, going up to a total of 79 weeks. This extension depends on the unemployment rate of the state you are in. That is called tier 4.

After those tiers, another level of benefits exist. Those benefits are for 20 weeks, which brings a total of 93 or 99 weeks depending on the state you live in.

You can only move into the next tier of benefits with an extension. With the current extension expiring at the end of November you could not move into the next tier of benefits, even if you didn't get to 93 or 99 weeks.

So for example someone laid off in early June, would likely finish their 26 original weeks of benefits in early December. Because of the fact no extensions were in place after the end of November, they would not be able to move into the next tier level of benefits and therefore capped at the 26 week mark, and would lose benefits Same thing for those in other tier levels. Someone who lost their job in early Feb would likely be around 46 weeks of benefits in mid December. So they would be at the end of tier one, but because the previous extension expired at the end of November, they would not be able to move to the next tier level and be capped at the 46 weeks and lose benefits. Follow the same logic for the other tier levels.

So what this bill does is extends the deadline another 13 months for someone to be able to move to the next tier level. Its still a bit unclear whether or not it provides another tier level beyond the 99 weeks, but doesn't look likely.
ok, so that doesn't mean that i get another 13 months. this is really, really needlessly confusing language. they need to say "some people will get some benefits and others won't". even in some of the articles it says "that means another year for anyone on unemployment right now". i don't even think the news people know what the hell is up. and frankly, even after reading that, i am still not sure what that means to me. like i said, some news articles make it sound like everyone will get another year on top of the 99. i just don't get it.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
ok, so that doesn't mean that i get another 13 months. this is really, really needlessly confusing language. they need to say "some people will get some benefits and others won't". even in some of the articles it says "that means another year for anyone on unemployment right now". i don't even think the news people know what the hell is up. and frankly, even after reading that, i am still not sure what that means to me. like i said, some news articles make it sound like everyone will get another year on top of the 99. i just don't get it.
What it does is extend the deadline someone can move from one tier to the next by 13 months. Its unclear whether or not it will go beyond 99 weeks, but even if it does its not going to be the 13 months beyond it.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,572 times
What is interesting is that the news states the extension is for the "Longer term unemployed" or people who have been unemployed the longest...This would make me think that the people who have already exhausted their 99 weeks are first in line for this newest extension?? But yes, they haven't spelled it out clearly yet so we have to wait until they do before we assume a tier V is not included.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoa22 View Post
What is interesting is that the news states the extension is for the "Longer term unemployed" or people who have been unemployed the longest...This would make me think that the people who have already exhausted their 99 weeks are first in line for this newest extension?? But yes, they haven't spelled it out clearly yet so we have to wait until they do before we assume a tier V is not included.
I agree we have to wait to see what's actually up for voting, but it wouldn't be the first time "the media" has got it totally out of whack.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
It means you get another year of 'looking' for businesses to say that you applied for a job. I get three people a day on the average wanting my signature for their forms at our place. And we have a sign out front saying 'Now Hiring'. None ask for applications.

Which state do you live in that requires signatures from a potential employer?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,572 times
If you sign the forms without taking applications then you are a part of the problem?? Or do you refuse to sign??

Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

But are you really hiring?

Many places put up signs to get a pool of applications, people go in thinking they have a chance, only to find out the place is only collecting applications.

Lots of places are in a wait and see mode. In fact many of the major chains including Walmart did not hire for the Holiday season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment