U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 AM

12 posts, read 28,448 times

Advertisements

I have been on Unemployment since Jan of this year, so that is around 26 weeks. When I called in this week a message told me that my current claim will expire in Jan 1, 2011. But, that I could file an extension if I have worked in the last 15 months. My question is, I technically was employed with my last employer until Jan 1, 2010, but was out on medical leave starting in Sept. 2009. I have worked consistently for the past 15 years. Will I have wages to calculate? How far back do they calculate. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,290,191 times
Default Massachusetts - Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELASCARD View Post
I have been on Unemployment since Jan of this year, so that is around 26 weeks. When I called in this week a message told me that my current claim will expire in Jan 1, 2011. But, that I could file an extension if I have worked in the last 15 months. My question is, I technically was employed with my last employer until Jan 1, 2010, but was out on medical leave starting in Sept. 2009. I have worked consistently for the past 15 years. Will I have wages to calculate? How far back do they calculate. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks
1. It's more than 26 calendar weeks, and closer to 52 since January.
2. If you haven't worked since receiving benefits, you should be in Tier II about now.
3. All claims expire in one year from the date of the initial claim (not to be confused with your certification date, or the date you receive payment). This date is printed on correspondence you receive from the UI office.
4. On your anniversary or shortly thereafter you must call an agent to re-open your claim from January 2010, so that you continue to receive the rest of the Tier benefits you are entitled to, if they are available at that time.
5. There is nothing to calculate. Monetary determinations are made at the beginning of the claim, and remain the same throughout the extensions attached to that particular claim.

You didn't mention that this was a Mass UI claim, and that you are a Rhode Island resident. This is an interstate claim. Please mention it when you post, as the replies you receive may vary due to that sometimes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment