U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM

53 posts, read 130,123 times

Advertisements

I exhausted Tier 2 on 12/4, so I expected to start NJ EB (since the extensions haven't gone through yet). I received a regular notice to claim for 1 week instead of the usual 2. No yellow form to list jobs I applied for or anything about EB. When I claimed online today it showed my total $ amount as equal to 14 weeks. I though EB was 13 weeks and an additional 7 for High EB (if triggered). Does anyone know where the 14 weeks is coming from? Are they putting me on a Tier?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,180,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsanonymous View Post
I exhausted Tier 2 on 12/4, so I expected to start NJ EB (since the extensions haven't gone through yet). I received a regular notice to claim for 1 week instead of the usual 2. No yellow form to list jobs I applied for or anything about EB. When I claimed online today it showed my total $ amount as equal to 14 weeks. I though EB was 13 weeks and an additional 7 for High EB (if triggered). Does anyone know where the 14 weeks is coming from? Are they putting me on a Tier?

Thank you!
It sounds like your account was credited for the 14th week of Tier II and the 13 weeks of Tier III.

The last time the eligibility dates expired, New Jersey simply continuing paying Tiers to people -- rather than switch those people to EB and back to the Tier when the Tiers were renewed. It seems like they are doing the same thing this time around.

The NJ UI system was programmed to pay the 14th week of Tier II with the 13 weeks of Tier III (because those extensions were enacted into law together, as well as Tier IV). So it's less of an administrative headache to continue Tier II with the addition of Tier III.

It's also a money saving tactic for the state. When Congress passes the next extension of the Tiers, NJ will receive 100% federal reimbursement retroactively for the payment of the Tier benefits. If they switched to EB, the state would have to pay 50% of the funding -- and would receive only 50% of the federal funding.

Since NJ has triggered EB -- and is required by state law to make those payments in the absence of the Tiers -- it has to pay benefits in any event. In the long run, it is cheaper for them to continue paying the Tiers (for which they will receive 100% federal reimbursement) than pay EB (for which they receive only 50% federal funding).

Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,208,213 times
Quote:
It's also a money saving tactic for the state. When Congress passes the next extension of the Tiers, NJ will receive 100% federal reimbursement retroactively for the payment of the Tier benefits. If they switched to EB, the state would have to pay 50% of the funding -- and would receive only 50% of the federal funding.
NJ seems confident that this will pass, so that's actually GOOD news!

Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 PM

38 posts, read 147,041 times
I'm not sure if my situation is along the same lines, but I exhausted my original claim either 11/30 or right after and I immediately received EB info and am due to claim tomorrow. Going by this reasoning posted above, shouldnt they have started me on Tier one?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
I'm not sure if my situation is along the same lines, but I exhausted my original claim either 11/30 or right after and I immediately received EB info and am due to claim tomorrow. Going by this reasoning posted above, shouldnt they have started me on Tier one?
For some reason, NJ has only continued Tiers for those already on them -- not for those moving from regular benefits to the EUC Tiers. This is probably because to enter you into the EUC Tier system after the cut-off date (which was November 21) would cause a more of an administrative problem then simply continuing Tiers for those already in the EUC Tier program.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Diorgirl,

Thanks for that. I have another question. I recieved all my EB paper work and my benefit rate which was like $10k and change. It said it was for 20 weeks and I was to claim tomorrow. I decided to see if I could claim today and it let me. The thing is, is said my benefit rate was now only $5100 for 13 weeks. Why the change? Any idea?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Diorgirl,

Thanks for that. I have another question. I recieved all my EB paper work and my benefit rate which was like $10k and change. It said it was for 20 weeks and I was to claim tomorrow. I decided to see if I could claim today and it let me. The thing is, is said my benefit rate was now only $5100 for 13 weeks. Why the change? Any idea?
Your weekly rate on EB should be the same as your weekly rate on regular benefits. If that is the case, the only explanation would be that they have credited the first 13 weeks to your account, and the remaining 7 weeks will be credited if NJ has still triggered High EB -- and you still qualify for EB -- at that time.

If the EUC Tier program is extended in the meantime, you will be transfered off EB and onto Tier I. Any weeks of EB which you have not collected will then be available to you when you complete the available Tiers.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM

My rate has changed though. I was getting $1100 every two weeks, now it's $800

Old 12-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
My rate has changed though. I was getting $1100 every two weeks, now it's $800
Then you need to speak with an agent to get an explanation for why your weekly benefit has been reduced.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:48 PM

53 posts, read 130,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
It sounds like your account was credited for the 14th week of Tier II and the 13 weeks of Tier III.

The last time the eligibility dates expired, New Jersey simply continuing paying Tiers to people -- rather than switch those people to EB and back to the Tier when the Tiers were renewed. It seems like they are doing the same thing this time around.

The NJ UI system was programmed to pay the 14th week of Tier II with the 13 weeks of Tier III (because those extensions were enacted into law together, as well as Tier IV). So it's less of an administrative headache to continue Tier II with the addition of Tier III.

Since NJ has triggered EB -- and is required by state law to make those payments in the absence of the Tiers -- it has to pay benefits in any event. In the long run, it is cheaper for them to continue paying the Tiers (for which they will receive 100% federal reimbursement) than pay EB (for which they receive only 50% federal funding).
You are 100% correct. I just received a blue notice in the mail saying I'm starting tier III. It says 14th week of Tier II and starting Tier III. EUC Date of Claim 12/05/2010.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or