Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM

20 posts, read 54,596 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

I went to my history in after I did my unemployment for this week. I went history and copied all the weeks I've been collecting unemployment and this looks like it's going to be my 99th week.
When I filled my Unemployment it said this in red letters

The $25 Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) that many individuals have been receiving in their weekly unemployment benefit payments is scheduled to end. The last week ending date that FAC will be payable for is December 11. Congress has not passed an Unemployment Benefits extension at this point. There are no additional benefits available to any individuals who have exhausted their 99 weeks of benefits.

I went to this page
If Congress Fails to Act: FACT SHEET on The Cut-off of Federal Unemployment Benefits | unemployedworkers.org (http://unemployedworkers.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/site/blog_entry/if_congress_fails_to_act_fact_sheet_on_the_cut-off_of_federal_unemploy - broken link)

And at the bottom is says
"Group 5: The Special States: Alaska, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington. Unlike the other states above, these states have permanent state laws that always guarantee extensions when the unemployment rate is above a certain percentage, regardless of what Congress does. These states are special cases"

Does this mean that I still have more extensions coming to me?

I've also been looking at this page
Unemployment Insurance Benefit Extensions Frequently Asked Questions

And that explains "I think " that my state is put in a special class where since the Senate can't decide we will get a 13 week extension. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I'm so scared that my unemployment is all over and I won't be able to buy food or pay my rent anymore. Can someone from Connecticut classify this up for me or anyone that knows about Unemployment clarify it for me?

Any help I would appreciate it soooooo much!!

~Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxdreams View Post
Hi everyone:

I went to my history in after I did my unemployment for this week. I went history and copied all the weeks I've been collecting unemployment and this looks like it's going to be my 99th week.
When I filled my Unemployment it said this in red letters

The $25 Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) that many individuals have been receiving in their weekly unemployment benefit payments is scheduled to end. The last week ending date that FAC will be payable for is December 11. Congress has not passed an Unemployment Benefits extension at this point. There are no additional benefits available to any individuals who have exhausted their 99 weeks of benefits.

I went to this page
If Congress Fails to Act: FACT SHEET on The Cut-off of Federal Unemployment Benefits | unemployedworkers.org (http://unemployedworkers.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/site/blog_entry/if_congress_fails_to_act_fact_sheet_on_the_cut-off_of_federal_unemploy - broken link)

And at the bottom is says
"Group 5: The Special States: Alaska, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington. Unlike the other states above, these states have permanent state laws that always guarantee extensions when the unemployment rate is above a certain percentage, regardless of what Congress does. These states are special cases"

Does this mean that I still have more extensions coming to me?

I've also been looking at this page
Unemployment Insurance Benefit Extensions Frequently Asked Questions

And that explains "I think " that my state is put in a special class where since the Senate can't decide we will get a 13 week extension. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I'm so scared that my unemployment is all over and I won't be able to buy food or pay my rent anymore. Can someone from Connecticut classify this up for me or anyone that knows about Unemployment clarify it for me?

Any help I would appreciate it soooooo much!!

~Michael
Unfortunately, if you have collected 99 weeks of unemployment benefits, there are no additional weeks available to you.

For you to collect further benefits, Congress would have to pass new legislation that either adds weeks to the existing EUC Tiers (I, II, III, IV), or adds a new Tier (V) of benefits.

If you have collected 99 weeks, you have already collected the benefits described in the "Group 5: The Special States" section you cite -- which refers to the 20 weeks of EB, which are included in the 99 week total.

"Group 5" consists of ten states that continue to pay EB after the 100% federal funding expires (it did expire at the beginning of December 2010) -- as long as these states trigger EB with the required level of unemployment rates.

When the 100% federal funding for EB expires, funding reverts to the original split formula of 50% federal/50% state. Most states have enacted laws that set two requirements for EB: (1) the necessary unemployment levels, and (2) the 100% federal funding. So these states phase out EB when the 100% federal funding expires -- even if their unemployment rates would have qualified for EB.

Only ten states still have the single requirement for EB of the unemployment rate triggers. These states do pay 50% of the cost of EB when the 100% federal funding expires -- and they continue to pay EB as long as they have the level of unemployment rates necessary to qualify. These are the 10 states listed as "Group 5."

Since you live in Connecticut (one of the "Group 5" states), and you say that you have collected 99 weeks, you have already collected the EB which that state offers. So there are no additional weeks of benefits available.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 PM

what are people like myself suppose to do if they stop giving out unemployment. I won't be able to pay rent, get food on the table. People ( senate ) don't understand how hard it is to find a JOB. I'm a grown man crying now cause I have no idea what to do....

Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
what are people like myself suppose to do if they stop giving out unemployment. I won't be able to pay rent, get food on the table. People ( senate ) don't understand how hard it is to find a JOB. I'm a grown man crying now cause I have no idea what to do....
It's very upsetting, I know. But there other state services available.

You can start by checking Connecticut's website at: DSS: Programs and Services

And check the Connecticut forum here on city-data for people in similar circumstances who can flag additional types of assistance for you: //www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/

Perhaps others in this forum who are familiar with Connecticut's resources can also provide some leads.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM

208 posts, read 552,274 times
Lets be totally frank/honest: If all the 99ers committed mass suicide, that would be just fine to our corrupt congress...they'd cry crocodile tears and then head off in a private jet funded by corporate interests...if you're a 99er, its every man for himself

Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM

874 posts, read 728,637 times
Quote:

your suppose to pledge of allegiance to the flag and sing god bless america.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 AM

broke&30, it's really not s funny issue. this morning I was talking to some people and they said President Ob mama is giving People across USA-especially Connecticut another 6 month and to continue to claim for benefits even if you don't think you have any.

Has anyone else heard of this?

~gfxdreams

Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,107 times
Quote:
broke&30, it's really not s funny issue. this morning I was talking to some people and they said President Ob mama is giving People across USA-especially Connecticut another 6 month and to continue to claim for benefits even if you don't think you have any.

Has anyone else heard of this?

~gfxdreams
No. I haven't heard of this. Did you ask these people for a source? Did they say they heard it too? They are telling you what you want to hear but it's no reason not to check the facts for yourself. Quite often my BIL says "I heard there was going to be an extension, will I get it?" and he can never tell me how, who, when or where he heard it. Hearsay is simply hearsay. Take what you hear with a grain of salt.
I'm not saying you haven't looked things up - you clearly have. It's a terrible thing that's happening but it's not at all sudden. Remember this from August 29th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Looks like from that info, as of 8/22 you have 17 weeks of unemployment benefits remaining ($5,952/349=17.05). As I said earlier, if you have been claiming continuously since last January, you are now in the final category (Extended Benefits) of benefits presently available - unless Congress passes a Tier V this fall, or otherwise does something to help the long-term unemployed.
The post still rings true today.

GFX, I know you have computer skills. Have you thought about having your own business? You could be a lifesaver to small businesses who may need someone to troubleshoot computer and network issues. Think about it.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 AM

i was reading and waiting on hold now for 48 minutes to talk to someone to see if I"m one of those 99iers, which i really think I am. I was reading this, and it looks like they are going to decide on something today. Is this true or am I reading it wrong.

Senate ready to vote on tax break extension

Thanks in advanced
~Mike

edited: What I'm confused about is are they TRYING to MAKE A tier 5 to see if people are elligable to receive the 99 weeks, or does this help the people who are already the 99iers to get an extension ?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
i was reading and waiting on hold now for 48 minutes to talk to someone to see if I"m one of those 99iers, which i really think I am. I was reading this, and it looks like they are going to decide on something today. Is this true or am I reading it wrong.

Senate ready to vote on tax break extension

Thanks in advanced
~Mike
Mike, whether this passes or it doesn't, at this point there is nothing in there for 99ers. Besides which the House also needs to give its input. Democrats are still screaming, but mostly on estate tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment