U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,787 times

Advertisements

My tier 3 benefits ran out on December 4, 2010 so I missed the November 30th deadline to move into tier 4. With the latest legislation that just passed moving the deadline to 12/31/2011, I was under the impression that I would be transferred to tier 4. I recieved a notice from EDD yesterday (with a claim form) stating that I am now in my Federal Extended Benefits phase of 20 weeks. I called EDD yesterday to inquire about this and the lady that I spoke with said that I was transferred to FED-ED so as not to have any lapse in coverage and that at the end of these 20 weeks (provided I am still needing unemployment), I will then be able to access my tier 4 benefits of 6 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and if the information that I received from the lady at EDD sounds correct. It's just very confusing and I don't want to end up losing out on a tier that I skipped. Thanks, inadvance, for any feedback.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM

23,460 posts, read 49,994,909 times
CA may keep you on EB (Fed-ED in CA) until it is exhausted. Some states do; some states have put the claimant back to finish their tier benefits. What you were told sounds plausible. When you finish your Fed-ED benefits, there will still be another 6 weeks from Tier IV available to you, provided CA's unemployment rate doesn't drop below 8.5%. Not much chance of that I don't think.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-21-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,787 times
Thanks for the feedback, just wanted to make sure I wasn't told information to just get me off the phone. Hoping that I won't actually need the tier 4 benefits, but the way things continue to look out here, chances are, I will need them.....

Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 27,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraineJ View Post
My tier 3 benefits ran out on December 4, 2010 so I missed the November 30th deadline to move into tier 4. With the latest legislation that just passed moving the deadline to 12/31/2011, I was under the impression that I would be transferred to tier 4. I recieved a notice from EDD yesterday (with a claim form) stating that I am now in my Federal Extended Benefits phase of 20 weeks. I called EDD yesterday to inquire about this and the lady that I spoke with said that I was transferred to FED-ED so as not to have any lapse in coverage and that at the end of these 20 weeks (provided I am still needing unemployment), I will then be able to access my tier 4 benefits of 6 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and if the information that I received from the lady at EDD sounds correct. It's just very confusing and I don't want to end up losing out on a tier that I skipped. Thanks, inadvance, for any feedback.
Hey LoraineJ, this ended up happening to me too. My first 26 weeks, I barely missed the cut off date. Then they sent me a notice in the mail saying I qualified for Fed-Ed, just a few days before Obama signed the new law. I haven't sent back the Fed-Ed continued claim form because I don't want to be on Fed-Ed

Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM

23,460 posts, read 49,994,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blades of shakuras View Post
Hey LoraineJ, this ended up happening to me too. My first 26 weeks, I barely missed the cut off date. Then they sent me a notice in the mail saying I qualified for Fed-Ed, just a few days before Obama signed the new law. I haven't sent back the Fed-Ed continued claim form because I don't want to be on Fed-Ed
You need to ask CA if they are planning to keep you on Fed-ED or put you back on the tiers. I don't think this will be your decision.

Some states only keep people on EB (Fed-ED in CA) until the tier legislation is extended, others keep you on EB until exhausted and then put you back on the tiers. It is probably easier for CA's computers to just keep you on Fed-ED.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM

49 posts, read 330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraineJ View Post
And, has the transition as you describe it been seamless without delay or are you experiencing a delay despite this explanation ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment