Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 100,981 times

Advertisements

UPDATE:

I just read a couple of articles which state that at this point, everyone gets 99 weeks of benefits, regardless of when they became unemployed.

Does this sound right? Is this the bill they passed in December to extend the deadline to qualify for all the tiers?

I'm so confused.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere, so I'm hoping someone here knows.

I lost my job last year in February and have been collecting unemployment ever since. I remember my paycheck statement saying that my unemployment benefits will end at exactly the one year mark from when I started collecting.

So, I'm confused. If I've been collecting for 10 months, and have 2 more months left, does that mean I'm already on Tier 1? If so, do I qualify for Tier 2 or 3, or whatever?

I'm not any closer to finding a job, than I was 10 months ago, and I'm worried that my benefits will end in less than 2 months.

Does anyone in Illinois have any info on this?

Last edited by breville; 01-14-2011 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Found updated information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breville View Post
I just read a couple of articles which state that at this point, everyone gets 99 weeks of benefits, regardless of when they became unemployed.

Does this sound right?
No. Essentially, you are correct in your second statement.
Quote:
Is this the bill they passed in December to extend the deadline to qualify for all the tiers?
Yes.

As an example, if someone is first unemployed this year and Congress does not extend the benefits at the end of the year, they will exhaust whatever tier they are on at the end of the year but not anything beyond that, except for those 10 states that pay EB with or without federal extensions, provided unemployment rate triggers are met. Most states, however, will cut off EB shortly after expiration of the legislation. Illinois was one of these this past December.

Quote:
I lost my job last year in February and have been collecting unemployment ever since. I remember my paycheck statement saying that my unemployment benefits will end at exactly the one year mark from when I started collecting.

So, I'm confused. If I've been collecting for 10 months, and have 2 more months left, does that mean I'm already on Tier 1? If so, do I qualify for Tier 2 or 3, or whatever?
If you have been collecting your full weekly benefit since February 2010, then you are now probably just finishing Tier 1 and will most likely transition to Tier 2 before the end of your benefit year in February. At that time, Illinois will reevaluate your claim for new earnings. If earnings are insufficient for qualify for a new claim, you receive a letter of denial, your old claim is reopened and you continue on the tiers and then EB.

Know that, for some reason, Illinois often has problems reinstating people at the end of their first benefit year. Read any letter you receive from Illinois carefully. Call them to be certain your claim has been recertified and continues without interruption. If you speak with someone whom you believe is giving you erroneous information, call back. Keep calling until you get a representative that can help you. Or go to one of their offices. Chances are you will not have a problem, but we've had so many reports from IL people on relatively simple BYE situations that it is wise to watch your claim carefully.

From everything you have said, yours is a simple situation. Reaching the end of your benefit year should not be complicated. You should be able to exhaust the 99 weeks available provided Illinois' unemployment rate does not drop substantially.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks Ariadne22,

There's just one part I don't understand. Can you clarify?

Quote:
At that time, Illinois will reevaluate your claim for new earnings. If earnings are insufficient for qualify for a new claim, you receive a letter of denial, your old claim is reopened and you continue on the tiers and then EB.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM

At the end of your benefit year, Illinois will reevaluate your earnings during that benefit year. If you have worked since February 2010 and those earnings qualify for a new claim, a new claim is opened and you are paid those benefits first before resuming tiers from your earlier claim, subject to HR4213 if new benefit is lower than $100 or 25% of first claim.

If you have not worked, your 'application' (a necessary part of the recertification process) will be denied and you continue on the old claim. This is where Illinois has been running into problems. It issues letters of denial but does not continue people on their old claim. Which is why I say monitor your situation carefully.

Have you worked at all since becoming unemployed?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-14-2011 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM

No, I haven't worked at all since I became unemployed back in February '10.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Well, then, as I said, your should continue on your old claim. Pay attention to communications you receive from IL and be sure to call to reapply/recertify. Do not do this online. One poster called when she got the letter of denial and was erroneously told to reapply online, which she did. Suspended everything and she had to go in and talk to someone to get it untangled.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Thank you so much for all the info. I will call them and keep an eye on things to make sure everything is in order. I feel very relieved knowing that my benefits will continue.

Thanks again. I appreciate it very much.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM

13 posts, read 62,917 times
Wait, are you saying that in Illinois there is not the last part of unemployment? (ie: late 2009 1st unemployment claim, continued late in 2010 past BYE.....so the EB is not there for 2011?) ....trying to guestimate how long this will be around if no jobs kick in :-(

Thanks in advance for your insight!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As an example, if someone is first unemployed this year and Congress does not extend the benefits at the end of the year, they will exhaust whatever tier they are on at the end of the year but not anything beyond that, except for those 10 states that pay EB with or without federal extensions, provided unemployment rate triggers are met. Most states, however, will cut off EB shortly after expiration of the legislation. Illinois was one of these this past December.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeNow2 View Post
Wait, are you saying that in Illinois there is not the last part of unemployment? (ie: late 2009 1st unemployment claim, continued late in 2010 past BYE.....so the EB is not there for 2011?) ....trying to guestimate how long this will be around if no jobs kick in :-(

Thanks in advance for your insight!!!
I was referring to tier availability for people first unemployed this year.

Unless Congress extends yet again the unemployment benefits, Illinois will probably pay EB into the first or second week of January 2012. Previously, when the legislation expired November 30, 2010, IL's last EB payment was made for the week ending Dec. 4.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16838895-post10.html

Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 62,917 times
Thank you for your wealth of knowledge!!!! Man, UI should hire you to TRAIN people Ariadne22 :-) !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment