U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM
 
8 posts, read 48,987 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Hello All -

I was approved to receive ABT benefits (NJ) and have just exhausted my EB on January 17. How long will it take to receive the form that they say on the website "will be mailed to you at that time"? I'm getting a little strapped now and I have no idea how much longer it's going to be before the ABT benefits kick in. Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
621 posts, read 2,155,623 times
Reputation: 199
How does one get approved for ABT benefits. And what is the criteria?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 PM
 
8 posts, read 48,987 times
Reputation: 23
You have to enroll in an approved training program (with the blessing of your re-employment counselor at your local unemployment office) and you get an additional 6 months of benefits after you've exhausted all other available UI and EB benefits if you're still in school at that time.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 11,243,276 times
Reputation: 944
Some clarification: You cannot apply for NJ's ABT after you exhaust your 99 weeks of unemployment benefits -- you must be working with a Workforce Development Partnership (WDP) career counselor on an "employability plan" before that time.

According to the NJ UI website:
"You must inform us of your interest in [ABT] training within the time limits. The time limit is within 60 days of your last day worked, within 30 days from the time we inform you of the ABT program, or within 30 days from the time you and your counselor make an employability plan, whichever date is last."

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Additional Benefits during Training (ABT)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
 
53 posts, read 130,876 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Some clarification: You cannot apply for NJ's ABT after you exhaust your 99 weeks of unemployment benefits -- you must be working with a Workforce Development Partnership (WDP) career counselor on an "employability plan" before that time.

According to the NJ UI website:
"You must inform us of your interest in [ABT] training within the time limits. The time limit is within 60 days of your last day worked, within 30 days from the time we inform you of the ABT program, or within 30 days from the time you and your counselor make an employability plan, whichever date is last."

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Additional Benefits during Training (ABT)
How does one go about getting a career counselor or joining the ABT program?

Thank you.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 11,243,276 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsanonymous View Post
How does one go about getting a career counselor or joining the ABT program?

Thank you.
In NJ you go to -- or telephone -- the One-Stop Career Center (local unemployment office) and make an appointment to meet with a career counselor. He/she will need to approve your eligibility for ABT.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
 
8 posts, read 48,987 times
Reputation: 23
My thread got hijacked. Can anyone tell me how long until I get my form? Is there anyone who is actually collecting these benefits?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
 
24 posts, read 54,670 times
Reputation: 17
Hello
I am in the same boat KareLeigh. I am in an approved training program (graduate student to receive a teaching certificate/masters). I started this past Fall and have been in contact with my UI counselor the entire time, even before enrolling into school. I met with her in the summer to get approved and sign some papers, which I am assuming was the employability plan (I should probably know this). My EB ended last week, and she said she was going to approve me for ABT, since I am still in school. I just needed to fax her my schedule, grades from last semester and verification from the school that I am enrolled as a full-time student this semester. Now I am waiting for a response or something in the mail. I am confused as to when I should receive something.

If anyone can shed some light..I would appreciate it!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM
 
8 posts, read 48,987 times
Reputation: 23
Hello Dixie -

Shouldn't you have been pre-approved for ABT when your counselor completed your work search waiver form? Originally I was not approved (because my counselor thought there was some obscure rule that you had to enroll in training during your first benefit year to qualify to receive ABT), but when I started my next semester, and had to have my waiver renewed, I was informed that that rule was no longer in effect, so that I would in fact be eligible for the additional 6 months of benefits.
Anyway, you should have been given a copy of your waiver and there should be a checkbox for the ABT. Did you ever get that waiver? I had to submit my schedule and verification when I originally started last January, and then my grades and enrollment verification again when I had to renew my waiver in November.
It really does seem to me that all of these offices, or different counties, do things differently. I've heard different and sometimes conflicting information between offices in different counties, and then sometimes that conflicts with what is on the LWD website. It really is a circus trying to deal with them.
I called my counselor yesterday just to make sure everything was copacetic, and she said there isn't any hold on my account or anything and that there's no reason why I shouldn't be expecting anything in the mail. So I'm going to give it until the end of this week before I call the regional office to investigate further. It's nerve-wracking because I received my last deposit two weeks ago and I was living check-to-check anyway. I have no savings and no credit left. Luckily I have a nice tax return coming that can hold me over until this ABT stuff gets underway. I'm so grateful to be getting these extra 6 months, as I should be able to complete my training in this time frame and I will start working right away, but it's just really stressful right now waiting for a letter in the mail everyday.

I'll keep you updated.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
 
24 posts, read 54,670 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareLeigh View Post
Hello Dixie -

Shouldn't you have been pre-approved for ABT when your counselor completed your work search waiver form? Originally I was not approved (because my counselor thought there was some obscure rule that you had to enroll in training during your first benefit year to qualify to receive ABT), but when I started my next semester, and had to have my waiver renewed, I was informed that that rule was no longer in effect, so that I would in fact be eligible for the additional 6 months of benefits.
Anyway, you should have been given a copy of your waiver and there should be a checkbox for the ABT. Did you ever get that waiver? I had to submit my schedule and verification when I originally started last January, and then my grades and enrollment verification again when I had to renew my waiver in November.
It really does seem to me that all of these offices, or different counties, do things differently. I've heard different and sometimes conflicting information between offices in different counties, and then sometimes that conflicts with what is on the LWD website. It really is a circus trying to deal with them.
I called my counselor yesterday just to make sure everything was copacetic, and she said there isn't any hold on my account or anything and that there's no reason why I shouldn't be expecting anything in the mail. So I'm going to give it until the end of this week before I call the regional office to investigate further. It's nerve-wracking because I received my last deposit two weeks ago and I was living check-to-check anyway. I have no savings and no credit left. Luckily I have a nice tax return coming that can hold me over until this ABT stuff gets underway. I'm so grateful to be getting these extra 6 months, as I should be able to complete my training in this time frame and I will start working right away, but it's just really stressful right now waiting for a letter in the mail everyday.

I'll keep you updated.
Hi Karleigh
This is all rather confusing! I did not have to submit a work search waiver, because I was only a part-time student last semester and was told that I still had to look for work. So every two weeks, I still submitted the work search for EB. A month ago, when I knew my EB was ending, I asked her if there was anything else I could receive, and that is when she notified me of ABT. She told me that I just needed to be a full-time student this semester, and that she will approve me. I remember signing a paper in the summer, before I began grad school in the Fall, and IT must have been the employability plan. I should have asked for a copy. Anyway, all I needed to do was fax my counselor my forms, which was last week, and she said she'd approve me. This is all so stressfull!
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top