Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM

15,133 posts, read 32,396,914 times

Advertisements

Yesterday in the mail, I received a reemployment and eligibility assessment appointment notice. It says that I have an appointment on February 10, at 9:00.

During my appointment, I will have the opportunity to:

Discuss my work search efforts
Receive labor market information specific to my job search and occupation
Learn about available resources and tools I can use in my job search
Learn about re-employment and re-training services available.

I have to go into CalJobs and add something to my resume to make them happy.

So I will go to my appointment, see what they have to say, and it should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM

87 posts, read 652,838 times
It's no biggie. I was summoned for the "reemployment and eligibility assessment" within a week of receiving benefits. I think how people are chosen is totally random. There was a group of about 30 of us there for the appointment. We were just told about the W.I.A. program and sent on our way.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM

That's good to know. I have to give them two weeks worth of job searching to make them happy.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,259,826 times
I went to that meeting my first month. They gave us advice on updating our resume's and we got paper handout sheets.
It was fun to swap stories with the over-50 guys too.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM

I'm on my third year of unemployment, so I guess they decided that I need it.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Learn about re-employment and re-training services available.
In my state, this means that you get funding to return to school, even if it's for a masters degree due to already having a bachelors.

The nice thing about going back to school on their dime is you get excused from having to look for work.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm on my third year of unemployment, so I guess they decided that I need it.
Three years? How is that possible? I thought there were only 99 weeks.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 PM

379 posts, read 1,402,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Three years? How is that possible? I thought there were only 99 weeks.

On a single benefit year claim yes, 99 weeks is the max including the extensions. However, for some people a new benefit year was determined at the time of re-certification. This can be due to a number of factors but one of which is working part-time while receiving UI benefits.

For example, a person gets their 26 week state benefit then moves on into the 20 week tier 1 extension. When their benefit year ends and they re-certify, and it is determined that they qualify for a new benefit year, they will start a new 26 week state funded claim. When the new 26 week period is exhausted, they will move back into their tier 1 claim from the first benefit year claim and exhaust the remaining tiers in that claim and can move into additional extension tiers so long as congress extends those tiers or the claimant has to open a new benefit year. And at some point the process might have to be repeated.

Believe it or not, some people will get to the point of being able to receive 160+ weeks of benefits because of the specifics of their case/claim.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
On a single benefit year claim yes, 99 weeks is the max including the extensions. However, for some people a new benefit year was determined at the time of re-certification. This can be due to a number of factors but one of which is working part-time while receiving UI benefits.

For example, a person gets their 26 week state benefit then moves on into the 20 week tier 1 extension. When their benefit year ends and they re-certify, and it is determined that they qualify for a new benefit year, they will start a new 26 week state funded claim. When the new 26 week period is exhausted, they will move back into their tier 1 claim from the first benefit year claim and exhaust the remaining tiers in that claim and can move into additional extension tiers so long as congress extends those tiers or the claimant has to open a new benefit year. And at some point the process might have to be repeated.

Believe it or not, some people will get to the point of being able to receive 160+ weeks of benefits because of the specifics of their case/claim.
Yes, opening a third claim year will, in most cases, prevent claimant from drawing tier benefits on the second claim because those tier benefits had not been drawn upon prior to establishment of a third claim.

Two Claim Example - 160 weeks (assuming earnings and triggers are met to qualify for all benefits and legislation is extended):
Claim 1 - 26 weeks - state benefits
Claim 1 - 20 weeks - Tier I benefits
Claim 1 - 06 weeks - Tier II benefits
Claim 2 - 26 weeks - state benefits
Claim 1 - 08 weeks - Tier II benefits
Claim 1 - 13 weeks - Tier III beefits
Claim 1 - 06 weeks - Tier IV Benefits
Claim 2 - 20 weeks - Tier I Benefits
Claim 2 - 14 weeks - Tier II Benefits
Claim 2 - 13 weeks - Tier III Benefits
Claim 2 - 06 weeks - Tier IV Benefits
Claim 2 - 20 weeks - EB & High EB Benefits

Three Claim Example - 203 weeks (assuming earnings and triggers are met to qualify for all benefits and legislation is extended):
Claim 1 - 26 weeks - state benefits
Claim 1 - 20 weeks - Tier I benefits
Claim 1 - 06 weeks - Tier II benefits
Claim 2 - 26 weeks - state benefits
Claim 1 - 08 weeks - Tier II benefits
Claim 1 - 13 weeks - Tier III beefits
Claim 1 - 05 weeks - Tier IV Benefits
Claim 2 - 00 weeks - Tiers & EB Unavailable due to establishment of 3rd claim
Claim 3 - 26 weeks - state benefits
Claim 3 - 20 weeks - Tier I Benefits
Claim 3 - 14 weeks - Tier II Benefits
Claim 3 - 13 weeks - Tier III Benefits
Claim 3 - 06 weeks - Tier IV Benefits
Claim 3 - 20 weeks - EB & High EB Benefits

All is not sunshine and roses here, however.

The states are supposed to reevaluate earnings quarterly for EUC claimants, so if a claimant has been working part-time and eligible wages are found, a new claim can opened at any time and the claimant taken off EUC and be required to exhaust those benefits first. That new claim will usually be lower and, as stated above, if it is a third claim, prevent claimant from accessing the tiers and EB on the previous claim.

Third claim benefits are usually much lower than earlier claim benefits because they are based on sporadic part-time earnings. They also may not be sufficient to qualify for the full 99 weeks.

Here is another thread discussing this issue:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...08-claims.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-02-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment