U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM

34 posts, read 79,759 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a question about emergency benefits and how freelance work may affect them. Been searching all over, but can't seem to find a concrete answer.

I was laid off from my job in March 2010 and began receiving unemployment benefits on March 6th. Then in mid-June, I was offered full time freelance work (paid on 1099) that lasted until the first week of November. At that time, I was able to re-open my claim and have been receiving benefits since. My 26 weeks of benefits just ran out, and I've been told by a representative at UI that my emergency benefits would begin next week. I fall within all the deadlines and everything, so this seems like a certainty that I will receive the extension.

Now my question has to do with what happens when my benefit year ends on March 6, 2011. I keep reading that I will have to file a new claim at that point (even though I am eligible for more emergency benefits), but wouldn't my 1099 work prevent me from filing a new claim?

Am I completely wrong here, and have nothing to worry about? Or does my 1099 work mess up my emergency benefits? I'm pretty worried about this, so any help you all can offer is really appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:20 PM

621 posts, read 2,271,476 times
Your 1099 earnign won't qualify you for a new claim. It won;t mess up your extensions. You'll be moved onto Tier 1 since they can;t determine any actual w-2 wages.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM

So is that something that is worked out when my benefit year ends and I need to fill something out with unemployment?

I know that my 1099 earnings wouldn't qualify me for a new claim, but I'm wondering what happens when my benefit year ends on March 6th, right after I've begun collecting my Tier 1 benefits.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 PM

621 posts, read 2,271,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich a View Post
So is that something that is worked out when my benefit year ends and I need to fill something out with unemployment?

I know that my 1099 earnings wouldn't qualify me for a new claim, but I'm wondering what happens when my benefit year ends on March 6th, right after I've begun collecting my Tier 1 benefits.
you will have to recertify on that date. I'm not sure how it works in NY, you will probably need to contact them

Old 02-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Is anyone familiar with how this works in NY? I just don't want to get screwed out of the EUC because of my 1099 work once my benefit year ends.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 PM

25,091 posts, read 54,065,785 times
Your 1099 work has no effect on your bye. Those earnings are ignored. You do need to call NYS to recertify. They will do an earnings test, deny your application for a new claim and continue you on your tier benefits. This is standard procedure.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone.

One more question. Now I am currently receiving emergency benefits (I called unemployment and they verified - Sunday was the first time claiming eb). Today a friend of mine called me and said they have freelance work for me next week (5 days worth). Are the rules different with extended benefits, in that I can have a break in my claim because of a week of work and then go back to claiming benefits?

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich a View Post
Thanks everyone.

One more question. Now I am currently receiving emergency benefits (I called unemployment and they verified - Sunday was the first time claiming eb). Today a friend of mine called me and said they have freelance work for me next week (5 days worth). Are the rules different with extended benefits, in that I can have a break in my claim because of a week of work and then go back to claiming benefits?

Thanks.
We don't know for sure. Federal regs say EB claims must be consecutive. Another poster reports she has worked off and on while on EB and has closed and reopened her claim.

Your best bet is to keep this freelance work to part-time so that are able to claim a partial EB benefit and not interrupt the claim.

Or, call NY, and see if you can get a good answer from someone. You may need to call a few times until you find someone knowledgeable.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks Ariadne.

I thought that that the requirement that EB claims be consecutive only applied to the 'Extended Benefits' that come after all available tiers are exhausted (I just started on Tier 1, now). Sorry, I still need to get the terminology down since EUC and Extended Benefits are different.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 PM

If you are still collecting tier (EUC) benefits, you should have no problem working for one week and not claiming. You can claim again the following week. If you fail to claim for two consecutive weeks, your claim is closed and you will need to call NY to reopen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment