Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,771 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation: I was laid off in December 2010 right before x-mas. I'm currently receiving unemployment benefits. A couple days ago I received a job offer which is great. The money is decent the only downfall is the location. I live in Alameda and the job is in San Jose/Stevens Creek exit off 880 south. I accepted the job offer not really knowing what the commute would be like. I thought it would take me about an hour each way.
My first day was 2/17 and it took me 2 hours in traffic to get to work. It's roughly about 40 miles each way. The same thing happened on my drive home it took me 2 painful hours of stop and go traffic. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy to have a job and I'm really lucky in this bad economy.

The thing is I can't handle being in traffic 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. It makes me super cranky! The other thing about the job is the employer has an open dog policy, meaning that any employees who have dogs are welcome to bring them into the office. I work for an Ad Agency. When i accepted the job I really didn't think twice about the dog policy. I love dogs and animals in general, honestly I thought it was pretty cool. What I hadn't considered was my allergies to pet dander, especially dogs. I swear the office has about 40 people in it and half of them bring in their dogs....big to medium size dogs. Anyway, within about 2 hours my allergies came on strong (congested, headache, itchy throat, watery eyes, shortness of breath and unable to think clearly..cloudy thinking). I felt miserable. I tried medicating myself going in the office on the second day and it didn't help. After doing some thinking, I came to the conclusion that with the commute and my allergies this wasn't going to work.

My question is: I will report the 2 days that I worked on my weekly claim form but what do I write under reason no longer working? I really need the unemployment benefits while I'm searching for a better fitting job. What do I say so EDD doesn't cut me off? Technically I accepted a new job worked 2 days and then quit (with 2 legitimate reasons I think). Did I do a really stupid thing? I don't know what to write on the EDD form. Thanks for any suggestions..sorry for the novel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM

330 posts, read 1,458,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmouse25 View Post
Here's the situation: I was laid off in December 2010 right before x-mas. I'm currently receiving unemployment benefits. A couple days ago I received a job offer which is great. The money is decent the only downfall is the location. I live in Alameda and the job is in San Jose/Stevens Creek exit off 880 south. I accepted the job offer not really knowing what the commute would be like. I thought it would take me about an hour each way.
My first day was 2/17 and it took me 2 hours in traffic to get to work. It's roughly about 40 miles each way. The same thing happened on my drive home it took me 2 painful hours of stop and go traffic. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy to have a job and I'm really lucky in this bad economy.

The thing is I can't handle being in traffic 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. It makes me super cranky! The other thing about the job is the employer has an open dog policy, meaning that any employees who have dogs are welcome to bring them into the office. I work for an Ad Agency. When i accepted the job I really didn't think twice about the dog policy. I love dogs and animals in general, honestly I thought it was pretty cool. What I hadn't considered was my allergies to pet dander, especially dogs. I swear the office has about 40 people in it and half of them bring in their dogs....big to medium size dogs. Anyway, within about 2 hours my allergies came on strong (congested, headache, itchy throat, watery eyes, shortness of breath and unable to think clearly..cloudy thinking). I felt miserable. I tried medicating myself going in the office on the second day and it didn't help. After doing some thinking, I came to the conclusion that with the commute and my allergies this wasn't going to work.

My question is: I will report the 2 days that I worked on my weekly claim form but what do I write under reason no longer working? I really need the unemployment benefits while I'm searching for a better fitting job. What do I say so EDD doesn't cut me off? Technically I accepted a new job worked 2 days and then quit (with 2 legitimate reasons I think). Did I do a really stupid thing? I don't know what to write on the EDD form. Thanks for any suggestions..sorry for the novel!
You are going to have to write down that you quit. The EDD will investigate anyway. They will set up an interview with you. In that interview you can explain why you quit.

You can quit a job with "good cause" and still receive benefits.

I would emphasize the allegeric reaction to the animals that have cause you to quit. Also, the long commute is kind of hazzy, its hard to find out what department views as "too long of a commute".

However, I know how you feel, I have on two different occasion had to deal with 2 hour commutes in neck breaking traffic. Its not pleasant, that too could lead to health problems.

The thing is when you quit for good cause, whether that reason is for too long of a commute or the allegeric reaction to the animals, you are required to try to remedy the situation with your employer before quitting.

For example, did ask you employer if they could move you to a section of your work site where you wouldn't be affected by the dogs. Also, did you ask them if you could telecommute?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,771 times
Thanks zaj2 for the advice. They did mention early on in the interview process that telecommuting was not an option for this position. Before I accepted the job I should have done a test drive during prime time traffic hours.
I didn't really try to remedy the situation with the employer regarding my allergies before I quit. I think I felt so miserable I didn't want to endure it for another day. I did contact an allergist doctor at Kaiser and asked if there was anything that might work. He said pet dander allergens can be airborne and basically spread everywhere in a closed environment especially with recirculated air. He said the only way to avoid my reaction is to steer clear of the environment that triggered my allergies.

I do feel like the employer wasn't upfront about the working conditions. They did verbally tell me they are dog friendly and I figured maybe 2 or 3 dogs would be on-site. The reality is there are about 20 dogs big dogs on-site daily throughout the office and some are allowed to roam out of cubicles. Had I known there were so many dogs on-site I would have considered it unsuitable for me due to moderate to severe allergies.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 PM

189 posts, read 968,498 times
I know in California, it does mention on their site that excessive commute and health issues are a good reason to refuse a job or quit a job. You might want to have proof that you have allergies to dog on hand when they interview you. And, they WILL be giving you a call.

But, before all that happens, see if you can find some advice from someone knowledgeable about your state's employment law. Also, one thing you might want to consider is asking the employer for "reasonable accommodations" for your health issues. Perhaps they can move you to another office or room. If you show that you tried to do something in order to keep working there, it will look good to the employment office.

For commutes, my EDD office actually states, in writing, that they take everything on a case by case basis. Generally, anything under an hour each way is not considered excessive, but I think 2 hours definitely would.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,828,641 times
I would visit an Allergist who can give you a letter to take to the UI office and show them you were highly allergic to Pet Dander...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment