Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM

189 posts, read 966,842 times

Advertisements

I am in California and my benefit year is expiring. Since I worked last year, I may have the choice of starting a new claim or continuing on with the old claim for another 7 months. I am considering going with the new claim.

Recently, my claim has been on hold for various issues and I just had an interview and was told my claim would be taken off hold. However, my claim forms will be filed a little late for the next two claim periods.

What happens when your claim expires and you need to "catch up" on your forms? Do they hold off on starting the new claim until all forms are in? Or, will I not be able to file a new claim until they receive all the forms for the old claim? Will I lose any weeks?

If I'm going directly into a new claim, do I have to serve a new waiting week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM

330 posts, read 1,456,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdarlene View Post
I am in California and my benefit year is expiring. Since I worked last year, I may have the choice of starting a new claim or continuing on with the old claim for another 7 months. I am considering going with the new claim.

Recently, my claim has been on hold for various issues and I just had an interview and was told my claim would be taken off hold. However, my claim forms will be filed a little late for the next two claim periods.

What happens when your claim expires and you need to "catch up" on your forms? Do they hold off on starting the new claim until all forms are in? Or, will I not be able to file a new claim until they receive all the forms for the old claim? Will I lose any weeks?

If I'm going directly into a new claim, do I have to serve a new waiting week?
Why would you go with the new claim? Why not exhaust all tier benefits in the old claim and then start your new claim?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM

The reason for that is that it will only go on for about 7 months and then I would have to start a new claim. However, if I hadn't worked in the last 18 months from that date, then there would be no new claim and no income whatsoever. If I start a new claim, even though payments would be lower, I could possibly have it last another whole year.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdarlene View Post
The reason for that is that it will only go on for about 7 months and then I would have to start a new claim. However, if I hadn't worked in the last 18 months from that date, then there would be no new claim and no income whatsoever. If I start a new claim, even though payments would be lower, I could possibly have it last another whole year.
Just FYI -- the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers are at the end of this year. That means you can collect the full number of weeks in any Tier you begin before year-end -- but you cannot start a new Tier after December 2011.

In addition, 100% funding for EB expires the first week in January 2012. Most states require EB to be 100% funded by the federal government to continue those benefits -- so most states will be discontinuing EB at that time.

At this time, I would say that it does not look promising for the federal government to extend the EUC Tiers program and 100% federal funding past the current expiration dates. So it is unlikely that anyone starting a new claim at this time will have access to as many weeks of extended benefits as are available at this time.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 AM

The issue with me is that you only get 99 weeks with the extensions and if you didn't work or work very much during those 99 weeks, you can't start up a new claim because there's no income to base it on.

However, if I start a new claim this month, it will run out before September of this year and then I can go to a first extension which may last me until next March. Either way, I will have at least to the end of the year to get some kind of work. I won't be able to get more extensions after that, it looks like. But, at least it keeps me going a little longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment