Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama4685 View Post
Is there anyway that TN will approve a 3 year look back and give us our Extended Benefits back> Because there are people out there looking for a job and cannot find one. Like stated in a previously not all of us are freeloaders like some of our legislators and governor thinks.
Unfortunately, current federal law requires that once a state triggers off EB, that state cannot trigger those benefits back on until 13 weeks later. So unless there is a change in legislation, there's nothing that can be done until that 13-week period passes.

If your state does trigger EB back on, you will be able to collect benefits then, provided you are unemployed at that time. But the benefits won't be retroactive, so you cannot collect for the weeks you were unemployed while EB was triggered off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Unfortunately, current federal law requires that once a state triggers off EB, that state cannot trigger those benefits back on until 13 weeks later. So unless there is a change in legislation, there's nothing that can be done until that 13-week period passes.

If your state does trigger EB back on, you will be able to collect benefits then, provided you are unemployed at that time. But the benefits won't be retroactive, so you cannot collect for the weeks you were unemployed while EB was triggered off.
Well, gee. It looks like you partly answered my question in this thread. Why drive me crazy with links I already read on my own prior to posting my thread? LOL

Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,177 times
Quote:

So thats means that be cause the legislation has not changed and we just received our last check. Nothing can be done for 13 weeks? Also does a state normally trigger back on once they have triggered off?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama4685 View Post
So thats means that be cause the legislation has not changed and we just received our last check. Nothing can be done for 13 weeks?
Correct.
Quote:
Also does a state normally trigger back on once they have triggered off?
A state will trigger back on only if they have again met the EB criteria by the time the mandatory 13-week waiting period expires.

States triggering off EB at this time because they did not meet the 110% two-year "lookback" criterion -- and chose not to extend the qualifying period to three years -- are unlikely to meet the two-year criterion only 13 more weeks down the road. And I am uncertain whether the current legislation will give them another chance to invoke the three-year "lookback" option at that time.

Last edited by diorgirl; 04-19-2011 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM

34 posts, read 62,020 times
Default Update on nj

Spoke to Maddens office 11:15 AM

To reiterate March Unemployment is up to 9.3% in NJ.

March 14th bill was passed on both ends.

Gov Christie has until June 15th. (that's the 45 days)

I was told that if in fact you have run out of unemployment benefits. If he signs the bill you will be entitled to refile a new claim and collect

Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrl View Post
I agree. I called Madden's office today. It's 45 days from the date it passed. I was told by the office that he has until the end of April. Otherwise it's law by default. They did however say that he ( the gov.)won't let that happen and will address it. What the outcome is who know's.
Quote:
Spoke to Maddens office 11:15 AM

To reiterate March Unemployment is up to 9.3% in NJ.

March 14th bill was passed on both ends.

Gov Christie has until June 15th. (that's the 45 days)

I was told that if in fact you have run out of unemployment benefits. If he signs the bill you will be entitled to refile a new claim and collect
The second source with whom you spoke in State Senator Madden's office today appears to be misinformed -- or is confusing the EB bill with another.

(1) The specific bill in question is S2680, which revises the trigger for EB unemployment benefits. The bill was passed by the New Jersey State Legislature on March 14; the Governor's 45-day window starts on March 15, and ends on April 28 -- as you were correctly informed by the original source in Madden's office about whom you posted on April 12 (see first post reprinted above).

A 45-day window ending on June 15 would not have yet begun.

(2) There are no provisions in the bill that would allow anyone who has exhausted their unemployment benefits to refile a new claim and collect. The bill simply extends the availability of EB in the state -- it does not change individuals' eligibility for "new" claims or more benefits.

The bill allows those who have exhausted their regular benefits and their Tier benefits to collect EB. It also allows those who are already collecting EB -- and whose benefits may be temporarily suspended during the legislative process -- to resume collecting EB after the legislation goes into effect. But, as far as I am aware, this temporary suspension is unlikely to happen.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
The second source with whom you spoke in State Senator Madden's office today appears to be misinformed -- or is confusing the EB bill with another.

(1) The specific bill in question is S2680, which revises the trigger for EB unemployment benefits. The bill was passed by the New Jersey State Legislature on March 14; the Governor's 45-day window starts on March 15, and ends on April 28 -- as you were correctly informed by the original source in Madden's office about whom you posted on April 12 (see first post reprinted above).

A 45-day window ending on June 15 would not have yet begun.

(2) There are no provisions in the bill that would allow anyone who has exhausted their unemployment benefits to refile a new claim and collect. The bill simply extends the availability of EB in the state -- it does not change individuals' eligibility for "new" claims or more benefits.

The bill allows those who have exhausted their regular benefits and their Tier benefits to collect EB. It also allows those who are already collecting EB -- and whose benefits may be temporarily suspended during the legislative process -- to resume collecting EB after the legislation goes into effect. But, as far as I am aware, this temporary suspension is unlikely to happen.

Thanks for the Info..however I'm somewhat confused as to what you wrote an what they said.

I have exhausted my regular benefits, along with Tier benefits and my last check is at the end of the month. I was told if the Gov. signed the bill, I would have to "Open a New Claim". Are you saying that is incorrect?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Diorgirl,
Thanks!.. Madden's office did seem a lil confused this time. Believe it or not I was talking to one of his senior aide's. He did say however business days only apply... so where are we now exactly?.. end of April or not? Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the Info..however I'm somewhat confused as to what you wrote an what they said.

I have exhausted my regular benefits, along with Tier benefits and my last check is at the end of the month. I was told if the Gov. signed the bill, I would have to "Open a New Claim". Are you saying that is incorrect?
Thanks
Yes.

Without legislation to extend it, EB is expected to trigger off in New Jersey in May, with the last payment being made in June.

If you are due to exhaust the EUC Tiers by the end of April, NJ UI will automatically review your claim at that time for eligibility for EB (as it did for each of the four EUC Tiers), and you will receive your determination. You do not open a new claim at that time.

If you qualify for EB, your benefits should start shortly after you exhaust Tier IV. If EB is not extended, your payments will cease in June -- otherwise, you will continue to collect until you exhaust EB.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM

According to Arthur Delaney reporting for the Huffington Post, unless local lawmakers take action to extend EB, payments will stop on May 14 in Alaska, Alabama, and Kansas. Payments will stop in June in Arizona, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., and New Jersey (though legislation to prevent the cutoff there is on the governor's desk).

Extended Unemployment Benefits Expire In These States Next
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment