Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM

210 posts, read 210,517 times

Advertisements

[quote=diorgirl;18589471]New Jersey does not meet the original 110% federal criteria required to continue offering EB, and so the state is scheduled to stop paying EB in May or June (I haven't been able to confirm the date).

However, the federal legislation passed last year does gives states the option to expand the two-year trigger to three years. In New Jersey's case, lawmakers can extend benefits for much of 2011 or for the rest of the year -- as long as the unemployment rate equals or exceeds 110% of the jobless rates for the same periods in 2008 or 2009.

Back then, the state's unemployment rate ranged from 4.2% to 6%, far below the current rate of 9.1%, so EB benefits could be extended if law is enacted by the state adopting the new criteria.

Since nearly a half million New Jerseyans are still unemployed, the state's current unemployment rate seems stalled at around 9%, and the Republican Governor's efforts to jump start hiring by private companies haven't shown much progress -- the Democratic controlled legislature is trying to move ahead with the extension of EB.

The New Jersey State Senate and Assembly have already passed legislation to extend EB using the three-year 110% trigger; the bill is awaiting Governor Chris Christie's signature.

Christie hasn't spoken publicly on the measure, so no one is sure where he stands on the issue, or if, or when, he'll sign the bill.

well this sure threw a monkey-wrench into the situation...ive only been reading about the triggers, and wether or not states pay without 100% Fed. Funding but this whole 110% trigger thing i haven't heard at all Until Recently..seems like it wasn't discussed or thought about much Until Recently...what a shame for those people involved or those that will be After Appropriate Tier Expires In 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:35 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,986,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
well this sure threw a monkey-wrench into the situation...ive only been reading about the triggers, and wether or not states pay without 100% Fed. Funding but this whole 110% trigger thing i haven't heard at all Until Recently..seems like it wasn't discussed or thought about much Until Recently...what a shame for those people involved or those that will be After Appropriate Tier Expires In 2012
The two requirements for EB address unemployment over two different time frames:
• Shorter term - Measuring the unemployment rate over the most recent three-month period (at least 6% for EB, at least 8.5% for High EB).
• Longer term - Measuring the current unemployment rate against the average unemployment rate for the same three-month period over the past two years, and a third year would be provided by the proposed legislation in New Jersey (at least 110% of one of the past rates).

Many people in New Jersey are painfully aware of the stubborn persistence of the higher recent monthly unemployment rates -- and so their focus has been on the shorter term requirement for EB. But few remember how abruptly the state's unemployment rate shot up in 2009. For this reason, I believe most people are surprised at New Jersey's failure to reach the longer term rate requirement.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM

621 posts, read 2,328,900 times
wait, what does that mean for someone like me who is in their 8th week of EB? I'm in NJ? Does that mean i would be abruptly cut off or does it mean they would not be providing EB after whatever date? My last possible week of EB is the first week of July.

How do we find out what the end date is, if it is not signed into law? You would think the state unemployment website would reword its EB criteria then, instead of having up there no end date.

I've been doing some research, and that bill on Christie'd desk received pretty much bipartisan support in both houses, that can only be a positive sign.

Last edited by Tuck91NYG; 04-06-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Theres no info available on when those of us on EB are cutoff. I'm assuming it's soon due to the fast nature it was passed through the NJ legislative houses. It passed 78-0

it should be a no brainer for Christie to sign into law but....I'd rather have some concrete info. I called up an unemployment agent and they had no idea what i was talking about. Figures and typical

Im just trying to figure out, how some of the otehr states came up with their end date criteria for EB. I understand the 110% thing but don't understand where these dates come from. Like why April 16th?

Edit.

I got this from NELP:
http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/n...is.pdf?nocdn=1

NJ triggers off in May if the fix isnt passed. Which Means the last paypable week would be June 18th, if you follow the way the end date has been established in places like Wisconsin, SC etc

PA according to NELP, triggers off in July, meaning no payments after mid August.

Last edited by Tuck91NYG; 04-06-2011 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
wait, what does that mean for someone like me who is in their 8th week of EB? I'm in NJ? Does that mean i would be abruptly cut off or does it mean they would not be providing EB after whatever date? My last possible week of EB is the first week of July.

How do we find out what the end date is, if it is not signed into law? You would think the state unemployment website would reword its EB criteria then, instead of having up there no end date.
As explained in an earlier post here (reprinted below), unless the legislation is signed into law by Christie, the cut-off will be in May 2011 or June 2011 -- no EB payments after that date. If you are collecting EB at the time, the payments will stop. BTW, each state sets its own cut-off date after it fails to trigger the benefits, so the experience in Wisconsin or Pennsylvania are interesting, but necessarily the same as how New Jersey will proceed.

Under the current two-year trigger, NJ fails to meet the 110% increase required in unemployment rates in the same three-month period in May 2011 over that in May 2009 (unemployment rates shot up significantly in May 2009). Technically, NJ could stop EB in May 2011 at the time it fails to trigger, or the state could enact the cut-off in the month after it fails to trigger -- June 2011. BTW, each state determines its own cut-off date after it fails to trigger a level of benefits, so the experiences in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are interesting, but not necessarily how New Jersey will handle the situation. Until New Jersey decides its cut-off date, there is no way to know with any certainty how soon they will eliminate EB payments after they trigger off.

Quote:
I've been doing some research, and that bill on Christie'd desk received pretty much bipartisan support in both houses, that can only be a positive sign.
Both the New Jersey State Senate and Assembly are controlled by Democrats -- who overwhelmingly supported the extension.

However, Christie -- a Republican -- has been described as more in the mold of other Republican governors who do not wish to extend unemployment benefits any further. Christie's delay in signing the legislation and his lack of any comment on it are not promising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
New Jersey does not meet the original 110% federal criteria required to continue offering EB, and so the state is scheduled to stop paying EB in May or June (I haven't been able to confirm the date).

However, the federal legislation passed last year does gives states the option to expand the two-year trigger to three years. In New Jersey's case, lawmakers can extend benefits for much of 2011 or for the rest of the year -- as long as the unemployment rate equals or exceeds 110% of the jobless rates for the same periods in 2008 or 2009.

Back then, the state's unemployment rate ranged from 4.2% to 6%, far below the current rate of 9.1%, so EB benefits could be extended if law is enacted by the state adopting the new criteria.

Since nearly a half million New Jerseyans are still unemployed, the state's current unemployment rate seems stalled at around 9%, and the Republican Governor's efforts to jump start hiring by private companies haven't shown much progress -- the Democratic controlled legislature is trying to move ahead with the extension of EB.

The New Jersey State Senate and Assembly have already passed legislation to extend EB using the three-year 110% trigger; the bill is awaiting Governor Chris Christie's signature.

Christie hasn't spoken publicly on the measure, so no one is sure where he stands on the issue, or if, or when, he'll sign the bill.

Unemployment benefits bill sent to Gov. Chris Christie | NJ.com
Unemployment Benefits Measure Sent To Christie - New Jersey 101.5 FM (http://www.nj1015.com/Unemployment-Benefits-Measure-Sent-To-Christie/9537957 - broken link)
Christie to consider unemployment benefits extension

Last edited by diorgirl; 04-06-2011 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
As explained in an earlier post here (reprinted below), unless the legislation is signed into law by Christie, the cut-off will be in May 2011 or June 2011 -- no EB payments after that date. If you are collecting EB at the time, the payments will stop.

Under the current two-year trigger, NJ fails to meet the 110% increase required in unemployment rates in the same three-month period in May 2011 over that in May 2009 (unemployment rates shot up significantly in May 2009). Technically, NJ could stop EB in May 2011 at the time it fails to trigger, or the state could enact the cut-off in the month after it fails to trigger -- June 2011.

Both the New Jersey State Senate and Assembly are controlled by Democrats -- who overwhelmingly supported the extension.

However, Christie -- a Republican -- has been described as more in the mold of other Republican governors who do not wish to extend unemployment benefits any further. Christie's delay in signing the legislation and his lack of any comment on it are not promising.
There are 33 republicans and 45 democrats in the state assembly that voted yes and the senate was clean sweep too, not one voted against the bill. If there were idealogical differences with what the governor sided with or wanted, I dont think the republicans in the assembly and state senate would have voted in favor of it.

Assembly and Senate Votes:
http://www.mygov365.com/legislation/view/id/4d3fdead49e51b33433c4700/tab/votes/ (broken link)

Moreso, states like Missouri that decided to not renew their trigger law, now have a bill in the legislative process and the one senate holdout who was fillibustering the bill will let it go. Same with South Carolina, they now as of today have a bill to fix their trigger laws. That leaves only Utah and Tennesse that opted to not provide an EB fix

Christie just got the bill on Monday, it's only wednesday. It would a cause for concern if these benefits would expire at the end of the month. The link I posted from nelp has the trigger off months. NJ would trigger off in May but wouldnt be in effect until mid June. The onyl states that abruptly stop EB are ones that don't renew the law completely or decide to pull out of the EB program completely.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Projected Expiration Date of the Extended Benefits Program with Current Two[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]‐[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Year Look Back[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

I could see it being a problem if it actually cost the state money, it doesn't. The main reason, 200,000 people would be effected.

Last edited by Tuck91NYG; 04-06-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
There are 33 republicans and 45 democrats in the state assembly that voted yes and the senate was clean sweep too, not one voted against the bill. If there were idealogical differences with what the governor sided with or wanted, I dont think the republicans in the assembly and state senate would have voted in favor of it.

Assembly and Senate Votes:
NJ S 2680 - New Jersey Legislature - 214 - Legislation - MyGov365 (http://www.mygov365.com/legislation/view/id/4d3fdead49e51b33433c4700/tab/votes/ - broken link)

Moreso, states like Missouri that decided to not renew their trigger law, now have a bill in the legislative process and the one senate holdout who was fillibustering the bill will let it go. Same with South Carolina, they now as of today have a bill to fix their trigger laws. That leaves only Utah and Tennesse that opted to not provide an EB fix

Christie just got the bill on Monday, it's only wednesday. It would a cause for concern if these benefits would expire at the end of the month. The link I posted from nelp has the trigger off months. NJ would trigger off in May but wouldnt be in effect until mid June. The onyl states that abruptly stop EB are ones that don't renew the law completely or decide to pull out of the EB program completely.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Projected Expiration Date of the Extended Benefits Program with Current Two[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]‐[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Year Look Back[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

I could see it being a problem if it actually cost the state money, it doesn't. The main reason, 200,000 people would be effected.
You are, of course, free to rationalize and speculate all you wish on this matter. However, New Jersey has a track record for administering unemployment laws on their own terms -- and not always following the letter of the law (for example, last year when they continued to allow claimants to begin new EUC Tiers even after the EUC Tier program had expired -- instead of switching claimants to the EB system as they were required to do). The fact is that at the end of the day, the New Jersey Governor will do what he wishes when he wishes to do it.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You are, of course, free to rationalize and speculate all you wish on this matter. However, New Jersey has a track record for administering unemployment laws on their own terms -- and not always following the letter of the law (for example, last year when they continued to allow claimants to begin new EUC Tiers even after the EUC Tier program had expired -- instead of switching claimants to the EB system as they were required to do). The fact is that at the end of the day, the New Jersey Governor will do what he wishes when he wishes to do it.
he has plenty of time between now and the end of May to sign it into law. Im fully aware of NJ administering their own spin on things when it comes to unemployment but it comes down to if Christie will sign the unanamous supported bill from both sides. I'm not expecting a quick resolution, as he takes his time with every bill. Look at the unemployment modernization bill, he finally signed it after 2 months and that was free money as well

Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM

210 posts, read 210,517 times
Quote:
The two requirements for EB address unemployment over two different time frames:
• Shorter term - Measuring the unemployment rate over the most recent three-month period (at least 6% for EB, at least 8.5% for High EB).
• Longer term - Measuring the current unemployment rate against the average unemployment rate for the same three-month period over the past two years, and a third year would be provided by the proposed legislation in New Jersey (at least 110% of one of the past rates).

Many people in New Jersey are painfully aware of the stubborn persistence of the higher recent monthly unemployment rates -- and so their focus has been on the shorter term requirement for EB. But few remember how abruptly the state's unemployment rate shot up in 2009. For this reason, I believe most people are surprised at New Jersey's failure to reach the longer term rate requirement.
If this bill does pass, would it cover Only All Of 2011, Or Past That Too?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
If this bill does pass, would it cover Only All Of 2011, Or Past That Too?
the bill would cover most of, if not the rest of the year. Again this is only for EB funding, not any new weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment