Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott17 View Post
I read through some of this thread and this might seem like a dumb question- I am currently collect EB benefits in Indiana with about 9 weeks left. Will EB benefits stop in a few weeks at the cut off date?
According to Arthur Delaney of the Huffington Post, Indiana is one of the states whose EB will expire as of April 16, unless state lawmakers take action.

In fact, Indiana legislators are working on last-minute legislation to maintain the state's eligibility for EB. State Representative Dan Leonard (R) sponsored legislation that unanimously passed a committee vote last Wednesday and is expected to reach the governor's desk next week. The Governor's signature will extend EB.

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States

Last edited by diorgirl; 04-09-2011 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,464 times
Good to see that Indiana is going to fix it. Wish Christie had the fire too.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 AM

62 posts, read 143,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
According to Arthur Delaney of the Huffington Post, Indiana is one of the states whose EB will expire as of April 16, unless state lawmakers take action.

In fact, Indiana legislators are working on last-minute legislation to maintain the state's eligibility for EB. State Representative Dan Leonard (R) sponsored legislation that unanimously passed a committee vote last Wednesday and is expected to reach the governor's desk next week. The Governor's signature will extend EB.

Extended Unemployment Insurance Stopping Short In Several States
Ok thank you. I guess this is good and bad news, bad news being that it is set to expire, but good news being that it has passed and is just waiting on the govenors signature. Im surprised there hasnt been anything on the uplink page about this. thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 AM

210 posts, read 210,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott17 View Post
Ok thank you. I guess this is good and bad news, bad news being that it is set to expire, but good news being that it has passed and is just waiting on the govenors signature. Im surprised there hasnt been anything on the uplink page about this. thanks!
let us Know if this fix is passed in IN. In NJ we are still waiting...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM

I just read an article that PA will likely trigger off of EB when the May 20th BLS state reports come out. PA Senate democrats are putting legislation together right now for the fix.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,333 times
I hope the following is ok to post in here. I'm in Tennessee and we just received our letters from the State last week telling us that the last day of our EB will be 4/16/2011. This letter is what I sent to all the media outlets that I could think of and I also emailed my State Reps and the Governor. The main reason I'm posting is because of the links will hopefully answer some of the questions being asked.

I believe TN is screwed:

Last week, tens of thousands of individuals were given notice that the Unemployment Extended Benefits were "triggered off." The reason EB triggered off, Tennessee used the 2-year lookback(which is a 110% ceiling set by the Federal Govt, increase in unemployment over 2-years). Tennessee's 2-yr lookback is 105%. When the federal govt approved the last round of unemployment benefits, they also approved a 3 year lookback(still 110%), that states could use in the determination of benefits. Tennessee's 3 year lookback is 172% increase in unemployment, which is higher than the set 110%, which would allow Tennesseans to continue receiving Extended Benefits. California and Colorado has already approved the three year lookback so their unemployed citizens can continue receiving extended benefits till Dec, 2011 like the Federal Administration voted on in Feb of this year. The Tennessee legislature could vote to approve the three year lookback, so Tennessean's would continue to receive unemployment benefits till they run out. Our legislators are ignoring this and I urge all Tennesseans to call or write them.
Tennessee’s unemployment rate is 9.5 percent. Here are two links that will help explain:

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

and

Trigger Notice Report

I hope the links help and if anyone can add anything about TN, it would be appreciated. I can't find any indication that any legislation is pending.

odie

Last edited by odie072; 04-11-2011 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: I don't guess it'll let the links show up

Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 PM

186 posts, read 365,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie072 View Post
I hope the following is ok to post in here. I'm in Tennessee and we just received our letters from the State last week telling us that the last day of our EB will be 4/16/2011. This letter is what I sent to all the media outlets that I could think of and I also emailed my State Reps and the Governor. The main reason I'm posting is because of the links will hopefully answer some of the questions being asked.

I believe TN is screwed:

Last week, tens of thousands of individuals were given notice that the Unemployment Extended Benefits were "triggered off." The reason EB triggered off, Tennessee used the 2-year lookback(which is a 110% ceiling set by the Federal Govt, increase in unemployment over 2-years). Tennessee's 2-yr lookback is 105%. When the federal govt approved the last round of unemployment benefits, they also approved a 3 year lookback(still 110%), that states could use in the determination of benefits. Tennessee's 3 year lookback is 172% increase in unemployment, which is higher than the set 110%, which would allow Tennesseans to continue receiving Extended Benefits. California and Colorado has already approved the three year lookback so their unemployed citizens can continue receiving extended benefits till Dec, 2011 like the Federal Administration voted on in Feb of this year. The Tennessee legislature could vote to approve the three year lookback, so Tennessean's would continue to receive unemployment benefits till they run out. Our legislators are ignoring this and I urge all Tennesseans to call or write them.
Tennessee’s unemployment rate is 9.5 percent. Here are two links that will help explain:

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

and

Trigger Notice Report

I hope the links help and if anyone can add anything about TN, it would be appreciated. I can't find any indication that any legislation is pending.

odie
i live in nj. this happening here would definitely scare me. i knwo tuck called christie office and they said he'd most likely sign it..hopefully that happens..with all that is happening with the government and the debt ceiling

Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
i live in nj. this happening here would definitely scare me. i knwo tuck called christie office and they said he'd most likely sign it..hopefully that happens..with all that is happening with the government and the debt ceiling
That would be news. There has been no public comment from Christie or members of his staff on the bill, and the only post here reported on a conversation with a staff member from a New Jersey state senator's office...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
I put a call into State Senator Sweeney's office about the bill, the staffer noted teh obvious support from both sides on the bill and they expect the Governor to sign the bill as there was no opposition against it from republicans in this state.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM

• Missouri - Missouri state senators have agreed to continue providing federally funded Extended Benefits -- in exchange for reducing the regular state funded benefits from 26 weeks to 20 weeks. The agreement is awaiting passage by the state House and then will require the Governor's signature.

Missouri Senate Adds Injury to Insult In Move to Cut Unemployment Insurance (http://www.mmdnewswire.com/missouri-senate-adds-injury-to-insult-in-move-to-cut-unemployment-insurance-36214.html - broken link)

• Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania's three-month average unemployment rate has dropped below 8.5%, which makes the state ineligible for EUC Tier IV benefits. By May 20, Pennsylvania is expected to no longer qualify for EB as well, with those benefits coming to an end as of June 11. State Senator Christine Tartaglione (D), the minority leader of the state Senate's labor and industry committee, says she plans to introduce a measure this month to extend EB.

"We are in the situation now, where state legislators are convening and they have to get to this fast, before their state triggers off" the extended benefits, said Maurice Emsellem, who monitors the issue for the National Employment Law Project. "Once you trigger off, you are off for 13 weeks," he said.

As more get jobs, those who haven't face benefits loss - Philly.com

Last edited by diorgirl; 04-11-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
That would be news. There has been no public comment from Christie or members of his staff on the bill, and the only post here reported on a conversation with a staff member from a New Jersey state senator's office...
to be fair, everyone is connecting Christie with governors from Wisconsin and Ohio. Governor kasich, signed the EB fix into law. IMO, i cant see how he doesnt sign a bill that was undefeated in both chambers in this state. Christie for as much junk as he talks, loves that federal money.

The New Jersey Business and Industry Association
also supports the 3 year look back fix, and they posted that at least 200k People in this state would be effected if it isn't fixed. The NJBIA is as for businesses as it gets

Quote:
[SIZE=2]2. Legislation Awaits Governor's Signature to Extend UI Benefits[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Thousands of New Jerseyans would again be eligible for extended unemployment benefits under legislation on Governor Chris Christie's desk. The benefits would be funded entirely by the federal government and would not cost the state or New Jersey businesses more money.

Extended benefits were approved for states with very high unemployment rates. In New Jersey, that is currently defined as an unemployment rate that is 110 percent or more of the average unemployment rate for the previous two years. Because the state's unemployment rate has recently come down from its highs over the past two years, it currently does not exceed the two-year average, disqualifying New Jersey's long-term unemployed from fully funded federal extended benefits. S-2680 (Madden, Beach)/A-3795 (Egan, Benson) would solve this problem by changing the trigger to 110 percent of the average unemployment rate over the previous three years.

NJBIA supports the bill. With an unemployment rate above 9 percent, the state's job market is still weak enough to justify extended benefits. To cut off benefits for more than 200,000 unemployed workers because of a statistical quirk does not make sense.[/SIZE]

Last edited by Tuck91NYG; 04-11-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment