Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM

210 posts, read 209,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie072 View Post
I hope the following is ok to post in here. I'm in Tennessee and we just received our letters from the State last week telling us that the last day of our EB will be 4/16/2011. This letter is what I sent to all the media outlets that I could think of and I also emailed my State Reps and the Governor. The main reason I'm posting is because of the links will hopefully answer some of the questions being asked.

I believe TN is screwed:

Last week, tens of thousands of individuals were given notice that the Unemployment Extended Benefits were "triggered off." The reason EB triggered off, Tennessee used the 2-year lookback(which is a 110% ceiling set by the Federal Govt, increase in unemployment over 2-years). Tennessee's 2-yr lookback is 105%. When the federal govt approved the last round of unemployment benefits, they also approved a 3 year lookback(still 110%), that states could use in the determination of benefits. Tennessee's 3 year lookback is 172% increase in unemployment, which is higher than the set 110%, which would allow Tennesseans to continue receiving Extended Benefits. California and Colorado has already approved the three year lookback so their unemployed citizens can continue receiving extended benefits till Dec, 2011 like the Federal Administration voted on in Feb of this year. The Tennessee legislature could vote to approve the three year lookback, so Tennessean's would continue to receive unemployment benefits till they run out. Our legislators are ignoring this and I urge all Tennesseans to call or write them.
Tennessee’s unemployment rate is 9.5 percent. Here are two links that will help explain:

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

and

Trigger Notice Report

I hope the links help and if anyone can add anything about TN, it would be appreciated. I can't find any indication that any legislation is pending.

odie
Let us Know how it turns out, pal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,974,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
to be fair, everyone is connecting Christie with governors from Wisconsin and Ohio. Governor kasich, signed the EB fix into law. IMO, i cant see how he doesnt sign a bill that was undefeated in both chambers in this state. Christie for as much junk as he talks, loves that federal money.

The New Jersey Business and Industry Association
also supports the 3 year look back fix, and they posted that at least 200k People in this state would be effected if it isn't fixed. The NJBIA is as for businesses as it gets
Just FYI, Christie campaigned on the principle of rejecting federal money and making New Jersey self-sufficient. Since becoming governor, he has rejected far more "free" federal money than he has accepted. You can google the specifics.

BTW, no one here ever said that Christie would not sign the bill. What has been said it that there are no facts to point to his support of the bill -- either in his behaviors or comments to date. So until he actually signs it -- or not -- it's all just speculation.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just FYI, Christie campaigned on the principle of rejecting federal money and making New Jersey self-sufficient. Since becoming governor, he has rejected far more "free" federal money than he has accepted. You can google the specifics.

BTW, no one here ever said that Christie would not sign the bill. What has been said it that there are no facts to point to his support of the bill -- either in his behaviors or comments to date. So until he actually signs it -- or not -- it's all just speculation.
he rejected most of it in one bill, the failed tunnel project. He took the 200 million from the feds to upgrade the states unemployment system too. He wanted the government to forgive NJs unemployment loan debt. He's come hat in hand and he's taken also.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 20,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
Let us Know how it turns out, pal
Will do, but I don't have much hope. This is not being talked about at all in TN. No legislation that I can find, I visited the .gov website for workforce and development in TN and the info that they had posted last week about the EB(nothing said about the cause of the trigger, only the commission had ruled it triggered off), was buried in the archives. No media outlets are talking about it and I fully believe they are going to rely on the ignorance of the people who were affected, to let this just blow over. It's hard to find out any info in TN and before last week, I thought the only thing that could trigger off the benefits was the average unemployment rate based on a 3 month average, as that was all that was posted on the .gov site for TN. I had just started drawing EB and will have 15 wks left, once the last check is sent out.

And there are no jobs, I'm going to Nashville tomorrow to look and that's nearly 2 hour drive, but with gas prices where they are, that probably won't be cost effective either.

Sorry, just really torque's me off the way they did it, received the letter on 4/7/2011 that let us know the last checks are 4/16/2011. Just shows they didn't want time to listen to the complaints. I hate politicians.

odie

Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Wisconsin handled it the same way. Just an announcement on website that EB was ending 4/16 due to notice from BLS. No explanation at all.

I sent emails to state legislators, Sec. of Dept. of Workforce Dev. and the Governor. Got an acknowledgment from Gov.'s office. About 2 p.m. today message to Sec. of DWD was read. I hope that means they are looking into it.

I am still firing off emails to every Assemblyman and Senator and the media people who have been reporting on the state unemployment.

Wisconsin last year was very good about keeping the benefits going during legislative lapses. This year, as the whole world knows, things have changed.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM

210 posts, read 209,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie072 View Post
Will do, but I don't have much hope. This is not being talked about at all in TN. No legislation that I can find, I visited the .gov website for workforce and development in TN and the info that they had posted last week about the EB(nothing said about the cause of the trigger, only the commission had ruled it triggered off), was buried in the archives. No media outlets are talking about it and I fully believe they are going to rely on the ignorance of the people who were affected, to let this just blow over. It's hard to find out any info in TN and before last week, I thought the only thing that could trigger off the benefits was the average unemployment rate based on a 3 month average, as that was all that was posted on the .gov site for TN. I had just started drawing EB and will have 15 wks left, once the last check is sent out.

And there are no jobs, I'm going to Nashville tomorrow to look and that's nearly 2 hour drive, but with gas prices where they are, that probably won't be cost effective either.

Sorry, just really torque's me off the way they did it, received the letter on 4/7/2011 that let us know the last checks are 4/16/2011. Just shows they didn't want time to listen to the complaints. I hate politicians.

odie
i agree..i wasn't aware (Until Recently) of this Long-Term 110% trigger either. Its a shame they're not working on a fix, in TN.....i hope they eventually will

Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM

34 posts, read 62,009 times
After speaking with Maddens office the Gov.. has until the end of April to sign the bill. If not it becomes law by default. We know this won't happen but what will happen is unclear. I would hope he signs it. I mean afterall.... he's trying to fund the racetracks.. but who in the hell has the money to go to the track when unemployment is so high

Old 04-12-2011, 01:42 PM

speaking of NJ

Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrl View Post
After speaking with Maddens office the Gov.. has until the end of April to sign the bill. If not it becomes law by default. We know this won't happen but what will happen is unclear. I would hope he signs it. I mean afterall.... he's trying to fund the racetracks.. but who in the hell has the money to go to the track when unemployment is so high
I did not know of the that when it comes to becoming law by default. I put a call into a friend of mine who is a supervisor at one of the call centers. They vaguely know about that 110% but was told by higher ups that it's probably going to be a non-issue since Legislation only needs a signature by the governor. I think we would have to worry if the votes where extremely partisan in both NJ legislative houses.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
I did not know of the that when it comes to becoming law by default. I put a call into a friend of mine who is a supervisor at one of the call centers. They vaguely know about that 110% but was told by higher ups that it's probably going to be a non-issue since Legislation only needs a signature by the governor. I think we would have to worry if the votes where extremely partisan in both NJ legislative houses.
I agree. I called Madden's office today. It's 45 days from the date it passed. I was told by the office that he has until the end of April. Otherwise it's law by default. They did however say that he ( the gov.)won't let that happen and will address it. What the outcome is who know's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment