Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,995,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrl View Post
I agree. I called Madden's office today. It's 45 days from the date it passed. I was told by the office that he has until the end of April. Otherwise it's law by default. They did however say that he ( the gov.)won't let that happen and will address it. What the outcome is who know's.
Governors' signing deadlines vary from state to state. But the 45-day deadline for passage by default that has been cited in this case is correct in New Jersey.

According to the site "Governor Signing Deadlines" -- in New Jersey when the State legislature is in session, the governor must sign or veto legislation within 45 days of transmittal [i.e., delivery to the governor for signature], or it becomes law without signature. If the bill’s chamber of origin is in recess, the 45-day deadline may be extended to the date that the chamber reconvenes. After a session adjourns, the governor must act within 10 days after transmittal, or legislation is pocket vetoed.

StateScape - Governor Signing Deadlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM

621 posts, read 2,331,331 times
Quote:
I agree. I called Madden's office today. It's 45 days from the date it passed. I was told by the office that he has until the end of April. Otherwise it's law by default. They did however say that he ( the gov.)won't let that happen and will address it. What the outcome is who know's.

As I cited from the NJBIA, 200k people would be effected if they EB fix isnt signed into law. The NJBIA is as for Business as it gets and they approve of it since it's at no cost to the state or it's businesses.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,686,592 times
Well, there is always the GOP principle of not spending taxpayer money - whether it be state or federal. Christie is wrestling with himself on this one, I'll bet.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, there is always the GOP principle of not spending taxpayer money - whether it be state or federal. Christie is wrestling with himself on this one, I'll bet.
Governor Kasich of Ohio who is as GOp as they come, who stripped collective bargaining rights in Ohio, signed the bill and that's a legit red state. I think this boils down to that he's got till the end of the month and there is no real rush to sign it.

Plus the money is already budgeted. It'll be spent somewhere else. Or just not at all. It's just a drop in the bucket

Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Agreed. Christie is not just wiling away the time -- he's probably waiting for the March unemployment numbers to come out (next week) to see if he can hang a decision on some trend he can cite, either down or steady.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM

IMO, Christie is just taking his time. It was sent to him a week ago. Unless NJ has some historical rate drop of 1 percentage point, Christie would have no leg to stand on when it comes to not signing the legislation and his party in the state Legislative houses all agreed.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM

34 posts, read 62,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
IMO, Christie is just taking his time. It was sent to him a week ago. Unless NJ has some historical rate drop of 1 percentage point, Christie would have no leg to stand on when it comes to not signing the legislation and his party in the state Legislative houses all agreed.
I agree Tuck.. he's sitting on it period!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 PM

210 posts, read 210,780 times
Quote:
I agree Tuck.. he's sitting on it period!
The bill passed with bi-partisan support..that leads me to lean towards his signing it...let's see

Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
The bill passed with bi-partisan support..that leads me to lean towards his signing it...let's see
From your mouth to gods ears bro.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:08 AM

• Missouri - The State House in Missouri has passed legislation to extend federally funded EB unemployment benefits, but it also cuts the state-funded regular benefits to 20 weeks from 26 weeks. The bill it awaiting Governor Nixon's signature.

Missouri lawmakers end impasse, extend jobless benefits - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/12/2796655/impasse-resolved-missouri-lawmakers.html - broken link)

• North Carolina - Legislative leaders are looking into plans to extend EB unemployment benefits in North Carolina. The state Employment Security Commission says it was was recently notified by the federal government that the extended benefits program has to stop paying out by Saturday.

NC leaders look to 37,000 losing jobless benefits - North Carolina & Regional - Wire - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/04/13/2098980/nc-leaders-look-to-37000-losing.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment