Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
u mention the employer challenged his MI determination After 3 Months. I was under the impression that any party has 10 Days to appeal a determination in NJ before it becomes final and cannot be appealed unless the party can show good cause for the late filing. I read this on a nj Determination. So I'm wondering how your friend's employer was able to appeal After 3 Months?
While that is printed on the determination letter that all parties receive, in fact that is not the practice in New Jersey. The determination does go into effect after 10 days, but it is not final and can continue to be challenged. Employees are rarely granted "another bite of the apple" after the 10-day period elapses. But employers routinely file objections and appeal determinations for months after a termination; the state gives them great leeway in their response time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,336 times
Diorgirl is right, there are employers that have filed appeals when the person has collected for 6 months and into their extensions.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
NJ did pass a law in 2010 limiting amounts claimants were required to repay to benefits received after the reversal of the determination. Previously, they might have had to pay it all back. Sounds like Tuck's friend was one of the unlucky ones whose situation occurred prior to the change in the law.

Thanks to diorgirl, more info here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16536998-post19.html

Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,336 times
yeah this happened in 2008

Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM

210 posts, read 209,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
While that is printed on the determination letter that all parties receive, in fact that is not the practice in New Jersey. The determination does go into effect after 10 days, but it is not final and can continue to be challenged. Employees are rarely granted "another bite of the apple" after the 10-day period elapses. But employers routinely file objections and appeal determinations for months after a termination; the state gives them great leeway in their response time.
interesting how there is a double standard........seems to me 10 Days Means 10 Days for all....

Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
Diorgirl is right, there are employers that have filed appeals when the person has collected for 6 months and into their extensions.
wow, i am surprised NJ allows this!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
interesting how there is a double standard........seems to me 10 Days Means 10 Days for all....
Quote:
wow, i am surprised NJ allows this!
This is but one aberration in the application of unemployment insurance regulations in New Jersey. As can be attested to by those who have followed the department over time, there are many more.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM

11 posts, read 45,266 times
I faxed the letter with my request for a waiver today and I wonder how long until I get any type of reply from them?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
This is but one aberration in the application of unemployment insurance regulations in New Jersey. As can be attested to by those who have followed the department over time, there are many more.
perhaps the employers are playing on the "good cause" clause, as they perhaps contrive a "good cause" for filing their appeal Late which apparently is permitted. Clearly a double standard as you point out, and NJ should look into applying these regulations fairly for all parties..not too much to ask, I would think....

Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 45,266 times
Well I got a benefit Overpayment billing statement today. I wonder if this means my request for a waiver of overpayment was denied? It doesn't mention anything about it in this billing statement but its been almost 3 weeks and I haven't heard from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment