U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 61,240 times

Advertisements

Due to the recent budget cuts, I was let go from my state job and am already collecting unemployment benefits.

I am also in the FRS system and eligible for a pension but did not actually retire yet.

If I decide to retire early with a penalty and go for the pension, will this make me ineligible for unemployment? Of course it would really help me to have both if it is allowed and I have certainly put in the years to earn it. We are all trying to cobble together a living any way we can these days.

I realize not many people are likely to be in this situation, but thought someone reading might be able to give me an answer.

I know somebody collecting Social Security who was also getting unemployment is what gave me the idea. FRS pension is not exactly wages either.

Called the FRS where I can always get good help on the phone. They thought it was an interesting question and said it was fine with them but I should ask the unemployment office. However I have not been able to find any information online and can't ever get through to anyone at their office. There is not even a message or hold option, just a recording saying hang up and call back some other time. Sent 2 emails a month apart but haven't heard back. If the AWI staff is leaving in droves like other state employees no one can blame them.

Many thanks to anyone who can shed a little light on this!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 PM

25,068 posts, read 53,996,932 times
In Wisconsin, if your pension is employer funded, that amount is deducted from any unemployment benefit you might be eligible for. Social Security does not affect unemployment benefits in most states (not all), although some states are now thinking about changing that because the unemployment benefits are causing financial problems.

It is highly unlikely you will be able to collect a state pension at the same time you are collecting unemployment benefits without having your unemployment benefits affected. However, FL may handle this differently. Best to keep trying to get someone in your unemployment office for clarification.

Also, when you file for UI, you will be asked if you are receiving a pension. You might want to choose not to receive your pension now while you are collecting unemployment - especially if this is an early retirement and by delaying your pension would increase. Obviously, you need to look into that, as well.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:00 AM

Default States are like individual kingdoms regarding unemployment benefits.

Right, every state has different laws on this and I feel for those in Wisconsin weathering all the latest labor turmoil there.

When I applied for unemployment there were no questions about retirement income of any kind, only wages, so that is encouraging.

I did stumble on a list somewhere of states offsetting unemployment benefits for Social Security recipients, but Florida is not one of them.

Believe me, it's not like a few older people are going to get rich if we are able to get both for a little while. I can't imagine that many will be eligible.

Of course I have checked into early retirement, and there's really no benefit to waiting. Since like most I'm a member of that middle class slaving away for decades to help keep everything propped up, I might as well go for any entitlements now for which I may be eligible, as would anyone.

The unemployment agency here is not at all responsive to questions. I even stopped by their office to ask in person and they told me they don't do that there, so I've started asking here just to see if anyone knows.

Thanks for letting us know how y'all are doing it up north.

Anyone out there in Florida?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM

So far the official answer depends on who you ask. Apparently there isn't any specific policy in place. Wages are the key and a pension isn't wages.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 PM

Smile Florida unemployment benefits would be offset by any FRS payments

I found the answer later while reading the statutes. One can collect FRS (Florida State Retirement) pension benefits at the same time as unemployment benefits, but the amount of the FRS payments would be deducted from unemployment benefits which currently max out at $275 per week. One can, however, collect the full amount of Social Security and unemployment benefits at the same time.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan in Orlando View Post
I found the answer later while reading the statutes. One can collect FRS (Florida State Retirement) pension benefits at the same time as unemployment benefits, but the amount of the FRS payments would be deducted from unemployment benefits which currently max out at $275 per week. One can, however, collect the full amount of Social Security and unemployment benefits at the same time.
This is also true of Wisconsin. What actually happens is the pension benefit extends the length of time over which the benefit is paid out. You are given a $$ amount of benefits to collect over a one-year period. If you have a benefit of $275/week @26 weeks = $7,150, and your retirement benefit works out to $200/week, you can collect $75/week for 52 weeks, or a total benefit of $3,900. This would eliminate entirely any eligibility for EUC tiers as you were not able to begin collecting federal EUC before the end of your benefit year.

In my case, max benefit is $363/wk. Pension deduction (mo. pensionx12 mo./52weeks) is $62/wk (insanely low thanks to filthy rich greedy employer who cheated all their older employees out of 75% of their benefit - long story); thus I collected $301 week over a period of 31.36 weeks instead of 26 weeks ($363x26=$9,438/301=31.36 weeks) and was eligible for all the extensions as well. WI right now is not paying Tier IV or High EB, so my max benefits were limited to 86 weeks, paid out over 103.71 weeks.

Of course, if your pension benefit exceeds your UE benefit, whole issue is moot.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-14-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 PM

18,840 posts, read 35,911,675 times
In most states, collecting the pension from the same employer you are getting unemployment from is considered "double dipping" and would not be allowed. They allowed your claim, because you did not start collecting your pension, when you file for your pension, your UI will stop. That is how most states are, check with a claims rep.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
In most states, collecting the pension from the same employer you are getting unemployment from is considered "double dipping" and would not be allowed. They allowed your claim, because you did not start collecting your pension, when you file for your pension, your UI will stop. That is how most states are, check with a claims rep.
She has already cited the information she has found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan in Orlando
FL will deduct the pension from her unemployment which is what most states do no matter the employer. I had a private employer and my pension benefit affected my unemployment benefits to the extent that they were paid out over a longer period.

Collecting a state pension in FL does not disqualify her from collecting unemployment benefits from FL. If her pension is $100/week and her unemployment benefit is $275/week, she will still be able to collect $175 weekly unemployment benefits up to the full amount of the claim.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,685 times
i receive a retirement check once a month but i went back to work and got laid off will i be able to draw unemployment

Old 09-18-2017, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,685 times
Default retirement

i retire from the state of Florida and went back to work with contractor got laid off will i still be able to draw unemployment even doe i get a check once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment