Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedandconf View Post
It's not Cobra. I get it through the state. I pay nothing. I don't even have to make a copayment when I see a doctor. I pay only a couple of bucks for meds.
Well I see I'm living in the wrong state, that's a real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Quote:
Needless to say if I take that job I would make less money than I currently make collecting unemployment benefits and on top of that I *suppose* that I would lose my health insurance which I currently get for free courtesy of the state I live in. Given that the job is temporary (3 months assignment), I won't be receiving any health insurance through them.

I need to know:

A) Once I take that job will I lose my current health insurance and be forced to pay for insurance with my own money?

B) Once the temporary assignment ends, will I be able to continue collecting unemployment benefits if I find myself once again unemployed?
Keep in mind that if you take this temp gig, and it ends soon, you might have to open a new UI claim, based on your earnings from the temp gig. And if that happens, then your weekly payments from your new claim, will likely be much less than what your UI payments are on your current claim.

If you do decide to temp rather than continue on with UI, you should register with several agencies. That way, if you're more likely to get another job assignment right away, if the job that you're being offered, doesn't work out. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM

330 posts, read 1,456,901 times
Quote:
Needless to say if I take that job I would make less money than I currently make collecting unemployment benefits and on top of that I *suppose* that I would lose my health insurance which I currently get for free courtesy of the state I live in. Given that the job is temporary (3 months assignment), I won't be receiving any health insurance through them.

I need to know:

A) Once I take that job will I lose my current health insurance and be forced to pay for insurance with my own money?

B) Once the temporary assignment ends, will I be able to continue collecting unemployment benefits if I find myself once again unemployed?
If you don't have chance for perm, no don't take it.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM

92 posts, read 305,314 times
I wouldn't take it. It's not enough money to make up for losing your medical insurance. Also even if unemployment is not extended into 2012 you still have at least 7 months of benefits left. If this situation comes up closer to the end of the year, then it's a different story.

Also if you hate this temp job, you can't quit - otherwise you'll forfeit your remaining unemployment benefits.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Only drawback is 7 months, with OP only 2 of interviews in 5 months, does not provide OP many more chances.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM

130 posts, read 426,408 times
Personally doesn't sound much of an offer and NO temp positions do not always lead to something more permanent.

One of my friends made the same mistake only to lose it all and start from scratch. She started the temp position and they decided not to keep her.

Like others are saying, if you're closer to 9 months, then you would be forced to accept this menial offer otherwise continue searching.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
The OP needs to crunch some numbers. The problem with temp agencies is they hate to pay out an unemployment claims. So you do the 3 month assignment and it ends, they may turn around and say you were let go for a performance based reason when you go to reopen your claim.

Then you have to fight to regain your benefits.

You have to consider the pay, how far the job is, the price of gas vs. the weekly unemployment benefit.

On the other hand is there any chance it could be extended past the 3 months or could it go permanent? Are there other jobs within the company that you could apply for?

You have to weigh it out.

But crunch the numbers. Unless your clearing at least $100 or more a week by taking it(after your traveling expenses), I wouldn't bother.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM

189 posts, read 966,842 times
Does your health insurance state, exactly, when you are considered employed? For example, I have a student loan deferment and it specifically states that you are considered fully employed when you work at least 30 hours a week for at least 3 months or are expected to do so.

It may say something like that. If it does have a qualification cause that you can work with, I say take the work. Jobs are scarce and any job is a good job if you can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment